• The KillerFrogs

Maybe Cumbie isn't the guy for offensive coordinator

TCUParker

Right now our O feels like we're trying to hard to get everyone some touches.

Instead of playing the hot hand and getting the ball to our best players, we're constantly subbing personnel packages and trying to work everyone in.

I'm all for distributing the ball and keeping the D guessing, but it's like we're coaching little league and everyone has to get the ball at least once.

Also, I'd really like to know what happened to Taj Williams and E. Porter. They're completely MIA. Taj went from being our best WR last season to 1 catch and about 4 targets this season. It's baffling from the outside looking in.
Couldn't agree more. The management of personnel has been questionable at best.

FrogCoach84

Hill is an issue. Guy is a great competitor but is limited as a passer. I think it's one of the reasons that we go with the lollipop guild at WR so often; because the passing playbook with Hill is so reiant on YAC.

The constant personnel subbing (WR) has been and continues to be baffling to me. Play your best players...and sub as needed. I understand having a few sets every week that are personnel specific, but it's hard to even know who the 4 guys are at WR. What Porter and Taj did to become non factors I couldn't tell you.

Wexahu

Hill is an issue. Guy is a great competitor but is limited as a passer. I think it's one of the reasons that we go with the lollipop guild at WR so often; because the passing playbook with Hill is so reiant on YAC.

The constant personnel subbing (WR) has been and continues to be baffling to me. Play your best players...and sub as needed. I understand having a few sets every week that are personnel specific, but it's hard to even know who the 4 guys are at WR. What Porter and Taj did to become non factors I couldn't tell you.

And Graham too. He was one of our top recruits last year, played a decent amount and at least looks the part. Totally AWOL. Also, I didn’t see Nixon last night. Maybe I just missed him, but did he play?

FrogLifeYo

And Graham too. He was one of our top recruits last year, played a decent amount and at least looks the part. Totally AWOL. Also, I didn’t see Nixon last night. Maybe I just missed him, but did he play?
I hope Nixon can make the move back to RB with Anderson out..We need some quickness back there and he knows the position.

asleep003

Are you talking about Conner Mayes? He quit. But otherwise, yeah, I'm only concerned with beating TTU.

How long ago did I miss that one ... what a shame, Plus the kid recruit from Louisiana, that had to decommit due to his coaches hire by TCU. Special talent OL on video and Mayes would have been a solid 2 depth.

tetonfrog

I read a remark earlier this year that GP was unhappy with the way taj & graham practiced. That could be why they are not playing.

Porter just has not done much this year so that may be why he isn’t getting any PT.

FrogLifeYo

I just can't figure out the constant WR rotating...It made since last year when we were running hyper speed but now it's just a rhythm killer. If we can leave our RBs on the field for 5-7 plays in a row why wouldn't we also want to do that with our WRs?...Could it be the constant 1 play and 3 off meens our guys just aren't on the field enough to find any rhythm and that's having an effect in dropsies..I don't remember Doctson coming off the field this much..Maybe I just was't paying attention

4th. down

May be Patterson spent too much time reading his own press clippings this week. Very poorly coached defense. Offense is a mystery. Cumbie will have his guy next year. I'm willing to give him time to see if it gets any better. Not holding my breath however.

Everything would have to go right for us to even have a reasonable chance in Norman and the exact opposite happened beginning with the Diarse penalty. GP makes great half time adjustments but not much in the first half - he's always been this way so don't look for a change here.

There is always next year but it may not be as good as this year. We lose most of the offensive line and Hicks. Robinson may be better than Kenny but maybe not. If we are going to continue to run the Air Raid system, we need to hire a real receiver coach and talent evaluator for the receivers because since Doctson and Bee left, we cannot catch the ball and therefore, the Air Raid will be ineffective as it is now against good competition.

Everything would have to go right for us to even have a reasonable chance in Norman and the exact opposite happened beginning with the Diarse penalty. GP makes great half time adjustments but not much in the first half - he's always been this way so don't look for a change here.

There is always next year but it may not be as good as this year. We lose most of the offensive line and Hicks. Robinson may be better than Kenny but maybe not. If we are going to continue to run the Air Raid system, we need to hire a real receiver coach and talent evaluator for the receivers because since Doctson and Bee left, we cannot catch the ball and therefore, the Air Raid will be ineffective as it is now against good competition.
Good points. We really don't run the air raid, though. This is a hybrid of sorts that GP has put his own personal stamp on. He's a defense first coach, and last year really tested his patience with the air raid, so this is what he wanted. We can't stretch the field with the current personnel, so it really handcuffs us.

GP has shown he can evolve -- this year is really just more evidence of that. We weren't even supposed to be 8-2 at this point, so I think it's too early to write this off as a bad experiment.

4th. down

Good points. We really don't run the air raid, though. This is a hybrid of sorts that GP has put his own personal stamp on. He's a defense first coach, and last year really tested his patience with the air raid, so this is what he wanted. We can't stretch the field with the current personnel, so it really handcuffs us.

GP has shown he can evolve -- this year is really just more evidence of that. We weren't even supposed to be 8-2 at this point, so I think it's too early to write this off as a bad experiment.

Yes, but would you agree that we need a real receiver coach and talent evaluator for recruiting these receivers. We cannot catch the ball and here we are running as you would say, a hybrid Air Raid. Forget Doctson, because he only comes by once in a lifetime but if we had good receivers, maybe Sonny wouldn't rotate so much.

Yes, but would you agree that we need a real receiver coach and talent evaluator for recruiting these receivers. We cannot catch the ball and here we are running as you would say, a hybrid Air Raid. Forget Doctson, because he only comes by once in a lifetime but if we had good receivers, maybe Sonny wouldn't rotate so much.
It's either position coaching or a strange philosophy about rotating players. I don't know much, but it seems to me that we should have the 4-5 guys out there who KH trusts taking 75% of the snaps.

W

Way of the Frog

How long ago did I miss that one ... what a shame, Plus the kid recruit from Louisiana, that had to decommit due to his coaches hire by TCU. Special talent OL on video and Mayes would have been a solid 2 depth.

Mayes really wasn't with the program long enough to be considered part of it. Here a very, very short time.