• The KillerFrogs

Mack Brown quote

txfrog87

In an article about A&M departing for th SEC, Mack laments:

"I hope that in the future, we'll still look for what is best for the student-athlete and what's best for the high school coaches and what's best for the fans, because those three groups are what make college football what it is," Brown said. "Lots of the parents, especially in our state, a lot of them want to stay at home so they can drive to most of the ballgames, and I think that was the unique thing about the Big 12."

http://www.aggiesports.com/football/Big-12-coaches-ready-to-move-past-realignment-123

cdsfrog

"I hope that in the future, we'll still look for what is best for the student-athlete and what's best for the high school coaches and what's best for the fans, because those three groups are what make college football what it is," Brown said. "Lots of the parents, especially in our state, a lot of them want to stay at home so they can drive to most of the ballgames, and I think that was the unique thing about the Big 12."

http://www.aggiespor...realignment-123

He is echoing the same thing that Boren said in OU press conference I provided quotes from live.

This is ultimately why I still see us having a chance. It's possible that UT and OU may go against their own prejudices vote yes for TCU.

Every single other candidate that is legitimate does meet not this criteria. We shall see how much of a factor this really plays. I am not optimistic let me clear before the negatives nellies jump in. I simply am trying to look it from a outside perspective just like when I said no conference would ever accept Tech.

cdsfrog

That will never happen. The Big 12 powers that be and their egos want to add Boise, BYU, and Cincinnati.

Boise and cincinnati are not viable by themselves or for part a 3/4 team package to get to 12.

They are below Houston as candidates, no matter how much Louisville wants them or how desperate Boise is.

cdsfrog

Let me clarify that by legitimate candidate, I also mean one that would consider it.

The big 12 wants Arkansas bad, but they have or will always laugh in the Big's 12 face. As they should

Young and Horned

http://www.aggiespor...realignment-123

"In other news, I would like to invite Houston, SMU, and TCU to join the Big 12. I think it would be great for them to be a part of my, I mean this, great conference. I am sure we can all get around the fact that they will need to pay an entrance fee to us, i mean the conference, and that since they are smaller schools with tiny followings, and hardly any stadium for our, i mean their fans, to sit in, they won't need all of the revenue that comes to this wonderful conference. I am sure me and DeLoss, I mean the Big 12 institutions can find a fair way to make sure that extra money finds it way back to Austin, I mean the conference."

- Mack 'Money' Brown

tcudoc

http://www.aggiesports.com/football/Big-12-coaches-ready-to-move-past-realignment-123

When Brown was asked if he thought TCU should be added to the Big 12, he replied, "They could not compete week in and week out and they offer nothing to the Big 12 that we don't already have. In addition, parents are not willing to drive to Fort Worth to see their kids play, so there really is no advantage...in fact, that stuff I said about the kids and their families, can we just strike that? Are you recording this? I would actually like to start the interview over."

Boomhauer

That will never happen. The Big 12 powers that be and their egos want to add Boise, BYU, and Cincinnati.

Yep. I admire Mack's comments, but he has no say in this decision. ESPN is driving this bus, not the coaches or the fans. If ESPN wants BYU, Cincy, and UL in the Big 12. Then that is who they get.

But how excited are Big 12 fans going to be when Cincy or UL come to town?

Don't mistakenly apply the transitive property to his statement. He is speaking in the context of what would happen if the Big 12 were to dissolve. In other words, he's using the "proximity" argument as a reason for Tech, Baylor, OU, OSU, UT and A&M to stay together (obviously, A&M is moot now).

When he says "...in the future, we'll still look for what is best...", he does not mean "look for" as in "consider this factor as we look at expansion teams." What he means is, "we will consider this factor heavily before deciding to leave/implode the Big 12 as we know it today."

In other words, it's not about expansion. It's about not losing what you have.

TAINTed frog

Don't mistakenly apply the transitive property to his statement. He is speaking in the context of what would happen if the Big 12 were to dissolve. In other words, he's using the "proximity" argument as a reason for Tech, Baylor, OU, OSU, UT and A&M to stay together (obviously, A&M is moot now).

When he says "...in the future, we'll still look for what is best...", he does not mean "look for" as in "consider this factor as we look at expansion teams." What he means is, "we will consider this factor heavily before deciding to leave/implode the Big 12 as we know it today."

In other words, it's not about expansion. It's about not losing what you have.

yes, this fits right in with my conspiracy theory as well.....:wacko:

Dogfrog

This is spin. They know they are going to get some blowback for not taking TCU. Unless I missed it, TCU isn't mentioned once in that article. The regional games Mack's referring to are University of North Texas, Texas State, UTSA, etc.