• The KillerFrogs

Lupton upgrades?

Eight

I don't see TCU spending millions of dollars to build a new stadium when our current stadium only sells out for NCAA tournament games. Let's calculate the ROI on that.

don't think from saarloos' perspective, the desire for a new stadium is driven by a concern of all those people sitting on the grass

no different than building the new athletic performance center, sure the frogs have an adequate number of power racks in the current space

Paint It Purple

Pretty certain these two games were our only sell-outs all season. Reserved season tickets have been sold out for years but many people only attend the big games or sell them. Reserved seats roughly half empty all season. If you really like baseball during regular season, for most games just wear purple and buy a GA ticket, then find an unoccupied premium seat in the third inning. TCU promotes this. We played I think 37 home games this year. Avg attendance maybe 2000? I suppose you could make a case for building a stadium as large as season ticket sales would allow. Just keep in mind that the last two nights are a big outlier attendance-wise, so show up all season.
Rally killer

Years ago, I saw plans to revamp the existing baseball footprint and maybe add some lower level capacity down the first base line. However, these kinds of plans are tough to stomach because it would mean a whole home season lost/played elsewhere. Price tag is high no matter what option is chosen.

I’ve also talked with athletics officials in the past who’ve talked about a “master plan” that would take the entire west campus intramural and athletics space and completely renovate or revamp all of it. Would mean a fairly “radical” project that would likely cost $150-300 million. With the right donors, it’s possible, or it could be the first athletics debt-financed project in part.

The overarching problem is the donor base for baseball and these other sports just isn’t comparable to Football and Basketball.

Paint It Purple

I don't see TCU spending millions of dollars to build a new stadium when our current stadium only sells out for NCAA tournament games. Let's calculate the ROI on that.
Because Lupton is a POS high school stadium on steroids. Same arguments I've seen above could be applied to basketball. When was last time basketball made the elite 8. Baseball has made 6 Elite 8's and 2 Final 4's since 2010. The 2010 CWS appearance alone was worth Millions to the university

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Because Lupton is a POS high school stadium on steroids. Same arguments I've seen above could be applied to basketball. When was last time basketball made the elite 8. Baseball has made 6 Elite 8's and 2 Final 4's since 2010

Basketball sells out regular season games all the time. Baseball almost never does. BTW - calling Lupton a "POS high school stadium on steroids" is just wrong. They have already sunk millions into Lupton. They aren't going to just scrap it and start over.

Eight

Basketball sells out regular season games all the time. Baseball almost never does. BTW - calling Lupton a "POS high school stadium on steroids" is just wrong. They have already sunk millions into Lupton. They aren't going to just scrap it and start over.

did the renovation for basketball do anything at all with increasing capacity and when they started the process basketball wasn't selling out on a regular basis

they did that renovation to bring in a new coach and in all honesty i look at what they did and wonder where the money went in that project

Paint It Purple

Totally disagree about sold out butts in seats basketball. I bet less than 3-4 this past year. And, my point about the success of baseball vs basketball still stands. It's a fact.

Tear down Scholly and build a new baseball stadium

FrogBall09

Basketball would never sell out if we could sell 5k SRO seats and counted only the times they are all gone as a sell out

Which is what you are comparing it to with baseball

Every reserved seat the school is willing to sell is sold every game in baseball

If we had 1500 more reserved seats - the waiting list would absorb them in whatever time it took to do a selection online

PurpleBlood87

Totally disagree about sold out butts in seats basketball. I bet less than 3-4 this past year. And, my point about the success of baseball vs basketball still stands. It's a fact.

Tear down Scholly and build a new baseball stadium

Where are you going to get the money to tear it down and build a new stadium. Also where are the going to play if the stadium isn't finished in time?
It would be cheaper just to add outfield bleachers in RF and have that be the new student section.
Students would love it out there and it would open sections 207 and 208 to season ticket holders.
Then expand the roof to cover all the sections.

Realtorfrog

The plans are already in place to upgrade Lupton, waiting on funding to make it happen! This was several years ago so who knows if they have changed.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Because Lupton is a POS high school stadium on steroids. Same arguments I've seen above could be applied to basketball. When was last time basketball made the elite 8. Baseball has made 6 Elite 8's and 2 Final 4's since 2010. The 2010 CWS appearance alone was worth Millions to the university
Lupton is a palace compared to the real dump we played in prior to it. I do kind of miss the old purple cement wall, however…

Dogfrog

Years ago, I saw plans to revamp the existing baseball footprint and maybe add some lower level capacity down the first base line. However, these kinds of plans are tough to stomach because it would mean a whole home season lost/played elsewhere. Price tag is high no matter what option is chosen.

I’ve also talked with athletics officials in the past who’ve talked about a “master plan” that would take the entire west campus intramural and athletics space and completely renovate or revamp all of it. Would mean a fairly “radical” project that would likely cost $150-300 million. With the right donors, it’s possible, or it could be the first athletics debt-financed project in part.

The overarching problem is the donor base for baseball and these other sports just isn’t comparable to Football and Basketball.
It’s also a mistake to make a direct comparison between baseball and football. Football’s built-in demand driver is the six-game home season. That’s a small 18-24 hour window per year available for entertaining clients in your suite, making it special, exclusive, and driving demand.

Baseball’s 37 game home schedule is different. It is a long haul and we won’t have the UT game every other year. Post season will always be high demand.

Also have to say the sea of people in the berm area may not drive revenue, but it seems to represent a special connection with Fort Worth that has some value beyond revenue.

I think the location is fine.

Disagree. Lupton is where homeruns go to die. It's amazing we're able to recruit the bats we do...especially Kron and Luken. We don't need a launching pad but something slightly more hitter-friendly would be ideal and positioning a field on the IM fields would do just that along with being able to build out a really nice stadium with all the bells and whistles instead if continuing to piecemeal Lupton.