• The KillerFrogs

Looking to try new Fort Worth tex mex place

westoverhillbilly

I’ve given up on Mi Cocula. Every single time I have tried to go there, they have been closed. And it’s not like I’ve been going at random times. They seem to never be open.

I get what you're saying about their not always being open. Their staff consists primarily of family members and they've struggled to make it with some health issues among them. They're really nice folks and have been more open than closed recently.

Their food is excellent- hand prepared and made from quality ingredients, especially the non Tex-Mex items. Their relleno filled with beef or cheese is better than anybody's.

Las Enchiladas. Pilot Knob and 183rd (technically in Farmington I think). It's small (about a dozen tables) but good and I like to support family restaurants.

I live in Apple Valley; they can't seem to open a good restaurant with lasting power.

Southern Social in Eagan (new) is very good - a mix of different southern styles; I like their chicken, fried green tomatoes, and beignets.

There's a Baker's Ribs in Eden Prairie; I haven't gone yet because they had a fire that temporarily closed them. If you're in DFW you can find them there, but apparently the guy's brother opened the location here.

Jensen's Breakfast is a can't miss in Burnsville.

More broadly there are three landmarks I would definitely recommend - Matt's Bar for burgers (Jucy Lucy with the cheese inside), Murray's downtown Minneapolis for steaks, and Lord Fletchers on Lake Minnetonka for the vibe.
Thanks, I will check some of those out. I have never been to Matt’s and need to try that Juicy Lucy. I may have pulled up at Lord Fletcher’s once 20 years ago to enjoy a drink and lunch after fishing that lake with a couple of friends.

I appreciate the specificity of the chicken, fried green tomatoes and beignets at Southern Social.

Last summer I went to The Original Pancake House in Burnsville and I think I had the 49er Flapjacks that were terrific, but I don’t know about the rest of the menu.

Last edited:

froginmn

Thanks, I will check some of those out. I have never been to Matt’s and need to try that Juicy Lucy. I may have pulled up at Lord Fletcher’s once 20 years ago to enjoy a drink and lunch after fishing that lake with a couple of friends.

I appreciate the specificity of the chicken, fried green tomatoes and beignets at Southern Social.

Last summer I went to The Original Pancake House in Burnsville and I think I had the 49er Flapjacks that were terrific, but I don’t know about the rest of the menu.
Jensen's Cafe knocks the doors off of OPH, IMO. They have stuffed French toast that is phenomenal and their syrup is fantastic too.

FYI. :)

Chongo94

I get what you're saying about their not always being open. Their staff consists primarily of family members and they've struggled to make it with some health issues among them. They're really nice folks and have been more open than closed recently.

Their food is excellent- hand prepared and made from quality ingredients, especially the non Tex-Mex items. Their relleno filled with beef or cheese is better than anybody's.
Ahhh I see. Well that sucks for them and I can see how it would make things difficult. I will try to go again soon to see and taste for myself then. Thanks for the info and context.

westoverhillbilly

Interestingly enough, the 'new' N. Main Original kept the chip recipe that the twins had there when it was El Rancho Grande.
Yes they did, and the Original adopted the Puffy Taco/Nacho shells from Caro's right after Caro's/Bluebonnet Circle closed along with the wonderful and very hot green salsa that accompanies the puffy tacos. Robert "Butch" Self, Original's owner of about 20 years, has done a great job. Without him, I really doubt if the Original would be celebrating its 95th year.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yes they did, and the Original adopted the Puffy Taco/Nacho shells from Caro's right after Caro's/Bluebonnet Circle closed along with the wonderful and very hot green salsa that accompanies the puffy tacos. Robert "Butch" Self, Original's owner of about 20 years, has done a great job. Without him, I really doubt if the Original would be celebrating its 95th year.
But do they still have the sign: "WE HAVE A LIMITED BAR, BUT CAN MAKE MOST DRINKS"

OICU812

Shockingly, Mexican people move to Minnesota and open restaurants.
Yeah that may be counterintuitive for some, but those folks go wherever there’s agricultural work needs done. I made friends with some in Mexico nearly 30 years ago now, and I was surprised to hear them talking about Washington state, already being a well-established destination. Also, the thing for people to remember about Minny is it’s at the opposite end of the Main Drag, I-35.

OICU812

Their relleno filled with beef or cheese is better than anybody's.
Negative, Captain. My woman’s is. Cheese only. She learned it from her momma in NorCal, who was originally from Mexico. I’ve watched her do it, and although I truly love to cook, not sure I have the patience for that one. But I’m happy to be her Fetchit Boy in the kitchen whenever I can get her to make ‘em. Heart emoji.

Dogfrog

We were very close to the old Original but also always loved the sisters at El Rancho Grande. So we miss Original being close but glad they landed at Del Norte location.