• The KillerFrogs

Looking Good For Next Year

TCURealtyFrog

I was already thinking that we were going to have a solid team next year for the Big East and I don't think we should expect any drop-off in the Big 12. I think we're going to be pretty strong next year and some of the other good teams in the Big 12 this year are losing lots of senior talent.

-OU losing Landry Jones, Broyles and others
-OSU likely losing Blackmon, senior QB and several Offensive Linemen (this info was borrowed from a previous post)
-UT Going to be much better with another year under current coordinators and more experience for their young players
-Tech will be better but I'm not so sure about how many seniors they have
-Baylor won't be as good without RG3
-KU will still suck
-KSU will likely be better or as good as this year
-ISU will likely be about the same
-Missouri may or may not even be in the conference so who knows.

My point is, we'll have a really good shot at winning the Big 12 next year, particularly with our young team having a full year under their belt to grow and gain experience.

Whatcha think?

Planks

OU returns most everyone except for Broyles and possibly Landry Jones. If Landry Jones returns for his Senior year or if OU gets good play from their next QB, then they will once again compete for a NC next year.

Regardless of whether Jones returns, I think OU ends up being very very good next year.

Platypoke

The only question with OSU is quarterback. Can Chelf replace Weeden? Like I said in a previous thread, our o-line coach knows what he's doing. We'll have a solid o-line next year even with the losses. We also have so many receivers that losing Blackmon, Anyiam, and Cooper won't hurt nearly as much as it would other teams.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Probably what will be most interesting to watch is how these schools react to playing each other for the first time in a awhile (BU excluded). I know Tech is moving to the 4-2-5 but really it will be new for most of the programs and the TCU offense is definitely unique.

BUGrad95

RG3 said he's coming back. Wright will be gone. But Lache will be playing next year. The Bears offense should be just as potent. The question is the defense.

UT has talent all over the field, never count them out. They may have McCoy/Shipley 2.0.

OSU seems to be able to just plug guys in without a dropoff.

Never discount KSU while Snyder is there.

Starting next year, every conference game will be televised. I'm looking forward to good matchups every week.

It will be tough year in and year out. But, I suspect TCU will be challenging for the title.

TCURealtyFrog

Sorry about the errors in my OP. Obviously I didn't research much but it seems like RG3 has been at Baylor longer than Ramon Flanagan was at SMU. Also thought Landry Jones was a Senior. My bad.

Lone Frog

Any other year and I'd expect Jones and Griffin to be gone after this season, but there are so many talented QBs finishing up their eligibility (Luck, Weeden, Moore, Keenam to name just four) that it wouldn't surprise me if those who can wait another year do so.

Deep Purple

RG3 is a junior.
Right. Baylor will have RG3 back again next year. However, a little perspective.

He played a perfect game against TCU this year, at home and in friendly confines against a seriously depleted TCU team that is more than half freshmen and sophomores, in a game that was obviously their Superbowl after losing to us for three consecutive years (Briles publicly stated that he prepared his team for us throughout the spring and into the summer two-a-days). And still, if TCU had converted even one of the two FG's we missed, Baylor loses.

Now what have we got next year? Baylor still has RG3, but TCU fields a more experienced and motivated team (revenge factor, and Patterson butt-kickings) in our house, not theirs. And in a brand-new home stadium in a brand-new BCS conference -- the same conference that kicked us to the curb 16 years ago -- where fan and player excitement will be at fever-pitch.

Will it be our Superbowl? Not exactly. We have big rivalries other than Baylor. We owe some payback to SMU as well, another game that will see TCU fans and players at a fever pitch. We also have old scores to settle with Texas. Not sure any one game will be our Superbowl next year. Too many teams we want dreadfully to beat. But Baylor will definitely be one of them.

Right. Baylor will have RG3 back again next year. However, a little perspective.

He played a perfect game against TCU this year, at home and in friendly confines against a seriously depleted TCU team that is more than half freshmen and sophomores, in a game that was obviously their Superbowl after losing to us for three consecutive years (Briles publicly stated that he prepared his team for us throughout the spring and into the summer two-a-days). And still, if TCU had converted even one of the two FG's we missed, Baylor loses.

Now what have we got next year? Baylor still has RG3, but TCU fields a more experienced and motivated team (revenge factor, and Patterson butt-kickings) in our house, not theirs. And in a brand-new home stadium in a brand-new BCS conference -- the same conference that kicked us to the curb 16 years ago -- where fan and player excitement will be at fever-pitch.

Will it be our Superbowl? Not exactly. We have big rivalries other than Baylor. We owe some payback to SMU as well, another game that will see TCU fans and players at a fever pitch. We also have old scores to settle with Texas. Not sure any one game will be our Superbowl next year. Too many teams we want dreadfully to beat. But Baylor will definitely be one of them.

Weren't the Aggies playing @Baylor next season?

etstevenson

New Member here, class of 2009!

just wanted to chime in on the original post.

I think it is way too presumptious to assume that the frogs can compete for a Big 12 title.

Even GP admitted that we'll need to add more depth to our football program in order to compete week in and week out. While we do have some great playmakers we are still a very young and inexperienced program. I think in 2-3 years time we'll be right where we want to be.

UT and OU are looking at TCU as a convenient addition to the Big 12. Much like A&M, they perceive us as an admirable opponent that will lose to them more often than not. However, we have a coach that relishes the opportunity for new challenges and an athletic department and administration that will back him no matter what. We may not have other sports as high profile as football and baseball but we are still carving out an image for our University.

This has become TCU's greatest opportunity to put up or shut up. We are finally on the big stage and have quality and worthy opponents to compete against (I'm sorry but Utah and BYU wont cut it). We should make no allies in our new venture (maybe ISU, I have family in Ames and I just feel BAD for them). We have a great opportunity to compete at a very high level and we shouldn't waste it.

I'm extremely excited for the future of TCU and I sincerely hope that our fans will help support our athletic department in this new endeavor. It will take a couple of years to establish ourselves as legitimate contenders but this is just another challenge/obstacle that we are faced with...Thank God our campus never stayed in Waco.....

asleep003

My point is, we'll have a really good shot at winning the Big 12 next year, particularly with our young team having a full year under their belt to grow and gain experience.

Whatcha think?

Think you're missing the 'now'... this season is only half over and with all the realignment BS in the middle of a season most us have been waiting 8 months for and it's in full session! I've been curious to see how we show up/grow up, while it progresses this year. We'll have another long 8 month off season for the bravado... so maybe save a little for then... because we'll have much less to discuss, except for a few weeks of recruiting and Spring ball. So try to take in the now and enjoy the now... or you'll miss it.

Cheers !

Punter1

I personally would be shocked if RG3 comes back....he's a 4th yr junior who has already lost a year to injury and doubt he wants to risk another.

Plus...I doubt his stock would be any higher then it would be after this year. Was listening to Houston radio this weekend (Lance Zerline) who is pretty connected to the NFL and he's heard he would g in the 20-25 slot as of now. That's gonna be tough to pass up.

Punter1

I personally would be shocked if RG3 comes back....he's a 4th yr junior who has already lost a year to injury and doubt he wants to risk another.

Plus...I doubt his stock would be any higher then it would be after this year. Was listening to Houston radio this weekend (Lance Zerline) who is pretty connected to the NFL and he's heard he would g in the 20-25 slot as of now. That's gonna be tough to pass up....and with

OU with or without LJones will be loaded. Their D will be down right nasty! Believe only 2 players on their D 2-deep are seniors. WOuld be nice if Jones left and they have to break in a new QB. They will come to FW next year.

UT, is young as well. Another year under their current staff, so you have to think they will be much better. At some point all that talent comes together. We will have to play them in Austin.

TxTech is really in the same position we are this year. Very young team, especially on D. Doege will be a SR. next year, but they do come to FW.

Baylor, will have most key players back, but lose KWright. Griffin has already said that he will return. Returning 9 starters on D could do wonders for Phil Bennetts unit. Go to Waco again.

OSU loses a bunch of people on O including QB Weeden, and hopefully Blackmon will go pro. They should take a step back next year. We'll go to Stillwater.

IMO, the B12 is a little overrated in the Polls this year, but next year this is going to be a very tough league.