• The KillerFrogs

Little Birdie says -- Tuesday

Deep Purple

Neil Sperry. :)
What kind of grass do you have? I have St. Augustine and did nothing to it beyond fertilizing in late winter/early spring, mowing weekly, and watering 5 days a week until watering restrictions went into effect. Everybody else in my neighborhood has Bermuda and did pretty much the same as me, but their lawns aren't nearly as green and healthy in this heat wave and drought. Not sure why, but I'm guessing it's because, even though both grasses are very heat-tolerant, properly watered St. Augustine is perhaps more heat-tolerant than properly watered Bermuda.

But I'm no Neil Sperry, so I could be wrong. Perhaps you can educate me?

One thing I have noticed: St. Augustine grows much thicker and more aggressively. It will eventually overtake and choke out a Bermuda lawn if allowed to. About twice a year, my poor neighbors have go to our property line and pull up all the St. Augustine runners creeping from my lawn into theirs. But they have no cause for complaint against me. I built my home years before they did, and they chose to plant Bermuda next to St. Augustine.

ms19

I can see how that confused you. Do you guys think we have an offer? I'm assuming no. Do you guys think Byu has an offer (or another school)?

Salfrog

Tier 1
There has been no invite. all is just rumor right now. Big12 has to wait to see what Missouri is going to decide to do tomorrow during their meeting to decide whether to stay in the Big12 or go. After that, all of the domino's will begin falling however they are going to.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Be assured, if the Big 12 failed to select us based solely on

the loss of Saturday's game...then they had no intention of

taking us in the first place.

We were 5-6 the year before accepting an invite to the MWC. Some writer in the Deseret Rag wrote a piece after we went 8-0 and won the conference our first year there about their hoping to have gotten a nice little private school, with good academics, fine baseball, an OK football program, in a new TV market...but instead, Whoa Nelly!

rynosdad

What kind of grass do you have? I have St. Augustine and did nothing to it beyond fertilizing in late winter/early spring, mowing weekly, and watering 5 days a week until watering restrictions went into effect. Everybody else in my neighborhood has Bermuda and did pretty much the same as me, but their lawns aren't nearly as green and healthy in this heat wave and drought. Not sure why, but I'm guessing it's because, even though both grasses are very heat-tolerant, properly watered St. Augustine is perhaps more heat-tolerant than properly watered Bermuda.

But I'm no Neil Sperry, so I could be wrong. Perhaps you can educate me?

One thing I have noticed: St. Augustine grows much thicker and more aggressively. It will eventually overtake and choke out a Bermuda lawn if allowed to. About twice a year, my poor neighbors have go to our property line and pull up all the St. Augustine runners creeping from my lawn into theirs. But they have no cause for complaint against me. I built my home years before they did, and they chose to plant Bermuda next to St. Augustine.
My front & side yards are St. Augustine. I have fought root rot the last two years but things are looking good now. I keep my grass mowed higher (3 - 4" tall) in the Summer.

Deep Purple

My front & side yards are St. Augustine. I have fought root rot the last two years but things are looking good now. I keep my grass mowed higher (3 - 4" tall) in the Summer.
Thanks for responding. I was wondering what all this football drivel has to do with the important issue of St. Augustine vs. Bermuda lawns.

berryfrog95

So, is that why big east is recruiting smu/UCF in case tcu is gobbled up this week??

It's amazing to think what smu has lacked the past tens of years and them being on the verge of a bcs conf??....compared with what mountain we've climbed, wow

FROGDADDY

I always had trouble with St Augustine in Houston. Would get those giant brown patches every summer/fall. I've got Bermuda here in New Braunfels and it's been great. I agree that keeping it cut higher helps in the heat.

SouthTexasToad

Leaders always have the most arduous of tasks facing them. Followers always get a smoother road to travel, because those who trudged ahead already packed it down.

The conditioning and preparation for SMU going AQ is not there in my eyes. I see them being a Tech or Baylor in the Big East. While they might have a year or two where they do pretty good, in the long run they are either a bottom feeder or a .500 team.

If that is all the school and its fans care about, more power to them. Personally, I enjoy the fact that TCU has higher standards for themselves.

To a further extent, if SMU going AQ off TCU's coattails opens the door for TCU to end up in a conference that has become more stable and not tainted with the stigma of a weak strength of schedule, so be it. Let My Little Pony have her day as a lower level team in CUSA version 2.0, then.

HFrog1999

Little birdie came by again today... gave me an update.. 80% sure Missouri stays .. if so BYU announces first on wednesday they will join.. BYU is/was the first pick.. TCU will announce later in the week. then Louisville and they will stop there.. .. If Missouri leaves BIG 12 will take more time to see whats going to happen. Again only 20%..

I know nothing,... No sources ....

- Horned Miner

So, originally, your little birdie said that we would get an invite Tuesday. However, when Tuesday approaches, your little birdie says that TCU will get an invite later in the week.

Is Harold Camping your little birdie?

s-HAROLD-CAMPING-large.jpg

macaroni

What do you have to offer?

Well, in looking around I see an almost full bottle of Smirnoff, an unopened Borat DVD that includes a "glorious Khazistan" t-shirt, my daughter's Hannah Montana bike helmet that is getting a little small on her, and a cool looking two dollar bill. I would also be willing to make some of my chocolate chip cookies to seal the deal.

Q-Ball54

Well, in looking around I see an almost full bottle of Smirnoff, an unopened Borat DVD that includes a "glorious Khazistan" t-shirt, my daughter's Hannah Montana bike helmet that is getting a little small on her, and a cool looking two dollar bill. I would also be willing to make some of my chocolate chip cookies to seal the deal.

That would be hard to turn down. You know how much Texas loves Hannah Montana!!