• The KillerFrogs

Leach hired at WSU

Pappy Frog

One criticism was that Wilff wore polo shirts to
VIP meetings where everyone else was in a suit
and tie. Leach is no GQ guy; he's a pirate. :blink:

From a pre-hire article, Seattle Times
earlier today...

On Oct. 17, I covered a luncheon of WSU boosters at a waterfront hotel in Seattle, a gathering designed around the next game with Oregon State at CenturyLink Field.

Before a group of people (including Moos), many of whom were in business suits, Wulff wore a polo shirt inside a WSU windbreaker. A big deal? Not at all. But it was perhaps just one more sign to Moos that he didn't have a commanding figure leading his football team.

--Bud Withers

phony pony

When i'm a rich donor in like 20 years GP can wear a hula skirt while shaking my hand for all I care. He'll be richer than me anyway with 20 more years of $2m or $3m and climbing. I guess the obvious is he's got infinitely more clout than Paul Wulff

Opintel

Moderators
When i'm a rich donor in like 20 years GP can wear a hula skirt while shaking my hand for all I care. He'll be richer than me anyway with 20 more years of $2m or $3m and climbing. I guess the obvious is he's got infinitely more clout than Paul Wulff
I agree with your dress code thing...but, that's a scary visual. :ph34r:

Pappy Frog

A million ain't what it used to be,
but here are the numbers:

The school says Leach has agreed in principle to a five-year contract. Bruce Feldman, who authored Leach's biography, "Swing Your Sword," tweeted that WSU will make Leach the third-highest-paid coach in the Pac-12.

Lane Kiffin of USC is believed to make $3 million annually or more. According to USA Today, Chip Kelly of Oregon is at $2.8 million, Jeff Tedford of California at $2.3 million and Steve Sarkisian of Washington at $2.25 million.

Until now, WSU's highest-paid coach in any sport was ex-basketball coach Tony Bennett, who coached the Cougars from 2006-09 and was steadily increased to $1 million per year. Wulff was making $600,000 annually, easily lowest in the Pac-12.

FearTheFrog2015

bump
tongue.gif

froginaustin

Should TCU pull an aggie and pay a whole lot more than necessary?

As I understand it, one of the reasons A&M Athletics has some financial stress is the money they threw at Fran (including a buyout of his Alabama contract paid to the U of Alabama), then they overpaid $bill to get him to leave Nebraska, then they canned Fran and had to pay the buyout on his contract, then they offered the Sherminator big bucks when he had essentially no other prospects, and now they owe Sherman
"something" for his buyout.

An article in the print version of the American-Statesman this morning says that A&M believes Sherman's contract extension was never signed by $bill-- sat on his desk-- and that A&M thinks they owe him $1.8 per the old contract. Sherman, on the other hand, says (through his agent) that he signed the deal in September, and per the extension A&M owes $8.8.

:biggrin:

If TCU finds itself in a bidding war, I suspect CDC and Patterson will get lots of dough, though. Patterson is paid plenty now, although CDC may be in line for more money if he's not near the top of the pay scale for his gig. But there's always somebody that will overpay, and that shouldn't be TCU. So absolutely top money probably won't happen.

McFroggin

One criticism was that Wilff wore polo shirts to
VIP meetings where everyone else was in a suit
and tie. Leach is no GQ guy; he's a pirate.

I know this is probably all joke, but Leach is a smart man. He plays the "pirate" thing up. The man can be as GQ as any of us. Tech screwed up big letting him go.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain

patterson-hula-skirt.jpg

TCUdirtbag

Should TCU pull an aggie and pay a whole lot more than necessary?

As I understand it, one of the reasons A&M Athletics has some financial stress is the money they threw at Fran (including a buyout of his Alabama contract paid to the U of Alabama), then they overpaid $bill to get him to leave Nebraska, then they canned Fran and had to pay the buyout on his contract, then they offered the Sherminator big bucks when he had essentially no other prospects, and now they owe Sherman "something" for his buyout.

An article in the print version of the American-Statesman this morning says that A&M believes Sherman's contract extension was never signed by $bill-- sat on his desk-- and that A&M thinks they owe him $1.8 per the old contract. Sherman, on the other hand, says (through his agent) that he signed the deal in September, and per the extension A&M owes $8.8.

:biggrin:

If TCU finds itself in a bidding war, I suspect CDC and Patterson will get lots of dough, though. Patterson is paid plenty now, although CDC may be in line for more money if he's not near the top of the pay scale for his gig. But there's always somebody that will overpay, and that shouldn't be TCU. So absolutely top money probably won't happen.
A&M's problems are many, and you've hit on several, but they all stem from administrative dysfunction. It's worth TCU paying more (we obviously have the donors already, and our athletics budget is about to get an enormous raise from the Big 12) to maintain GP, CDC, VB, etc. because of the level of administrative harmony that appears to exist among all. It's all made possible by GP's attitude toward respecting the whole university, reasonableness in athletic facility needs, CDC's focus on keeping athletics on par with academics and his insane ability to raise money, and VB's even more impressive fundraising ability and enormous degree of goodwill among the various facets of the TCU community for his focus on the full university, not just athletics, some colleges, or his own legacy.

To the trustees, I hope they realize it's worth every dime to keep the leadership team in place.