• The KillerFrogs

LA Daily News: USC adds commitment of TCU DT transfer Earl Barquet

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

New USC head football coach Lincoln Riley added his first new player out of the transfer portal on Monday, earning the commitment of former TCU defensive tackle Earl Barquet.

Barquet, who announced his decision on Twitter, is a 6-foot-3, 277-pound lineman who comes to USC with three years of eligibility remaining.

Read more at https://www.dailynews.com/2021/12/13/usc-adds-commitment-of-tcu-dt-transfer-earl-barquet/

Wexahu

New USC head football coach Lincoln Riley added his first new player out of the transfer portal on Monday, earning the commitment of former TCU defensive tackle Earl Barquet.

Barquet, who announced his decision on Twitter, is a 6-foot-3, 277-pound lineman who comes to USC with three years of eligibility remaining.

Read more at https://www.dailynews.com/2021/12/13/usc-adds-commitment-of-tcu-dt-transfer-earl-barquet/
6'3".....LOL.

FrogBall09

Why is it that we always downplay or even laugh when our players transfer to another school and that schools acts as if they really found a gem....

then we celebrate as if we swallowed a canary when we pick up another schools transfer because of how highly rated they were at one point - and ignore that often they could not find the field at their old school.

I am sure we will find a better fit for our system in another player - or that will be the story - and I am sure the new transfers will find a better system for their ability than they had at their old school and realize their potential...

and the two new DL commits are exciting with a potential 3rd will be a great way to get back on track.

But it still seems losing half our DL isn't really a "we are better off" type solution at this point - because the whole of the P5 is going to be looking for experience DL in the portal this year. Was really hoping we could turn some of them into the potential they had out of HS with our new S&C program and a different DL coach and not just lose them to the portal.

Last edited:

Brog

Why is it that we always downplay or even laugh when our players transfer to another school and that schools acts as if they really found a gem....

then we celebrate as if we swallowed a canary when we pick up another schools transfer because of how highly rated they were at one point - and ignore that often they could not find the field at their old school.

I am sure we will find a better fit for our system in another player - or that will be the story - and I am sure the new transfers will find a better system for their ability than they had at their old school and realize their potential...

and the two new DL commits are exciting with a potential 3rd will be a great way to get back on track.

But it still seems losing half our DL isn't really a "we are better off" type solution at this point - because the whole of the P5 is going to be looking for experience DL in the portal this year. Was really hoping we could turn some of them into the potential they had out of HS with our new S&C program and a different DL coach and not just lose them to the portal.
OK, so you would prefer that we mourn every time we lose one to the portal, and gag every time we get one?

FrogBall09

OK, so you would prefer that we mourn every time we lose one to the portal, and gag every time we get one?
yeah that is what I said.....

guess if acting like a 17 yr old at prom and have it go off in your hand every time we sign some kid with the same star rating as the kid who just transferred out makes you feel better - go for it.

Just seems like a even-tempered view of all of this given all of it assumes either a level of performance above past history or continued excellence at a level above where that history was created - skeptical until proven would be my perspective.

ECoastFrog

It seems to me that a lot of these transfers are gonna learn they are slow to start at their new school. They need to learn the system, and the kids who have been at the school 1+ years are likely to have the edge. You know, there is no "I" in team. You need to care about and develop a chemistry with your teammates to really be successful. But what do I know.

FrogBall09

I am kinda of stunned that another power five school would see great value in any of TCU’s Dline from last year. Happy for him and if they are good enough to play for USC we should have been able to stop the run.
funny - had a Longhorn buddy of mine say the same thing about their LBs

geefrogs

yeah that is what I said.....

guess if acting like a 17 yr old at prom and have it go off in your hand every time we sign some kid with the same star rating as the kid who just transferred out makes you feel better - go for it.

Just seems like a even-tempered view of all of this given all of it assumes either a level of performance above past history or continued excellence at a level above where that history was created - skeptical until proven would be my perspective.

You're expecting fans on our message board to react thoughtfully?

My dear child....
No Way Smile GIF by Get Out Movie

geefrogs

I am kinda of stunned that another power five school would see great value in any of TCU’s Dline from last year. Happy for him and if they are good enough to play for USC we should have been able to stop the run.

USC's defense has been just as horrid lately. Worth taking a flier on a kid with 3 years of eligibility left.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I believe I remember a podcast where a revered former Frog opined that the New Staff needs to weed out the guys who lack commitment and spirit. That there were too many quitters on the team, and they needed to go.

Perhaps this is taking place. If so, good.

Barryg0791

Maybe he's transferring because he liked Patterson and Fitch, and doesn't want to play for Dykes and whoever he brings in to coach the DL. Maybe he has a relationship with Brandon Jones, SCs new DL coach. Or maybe he thought "if I have to play for new coaches, I'd rather play in the Rose Bowl than whatever Bowl the Frogs might play in". There are many reasons emotional young men make these decisions. But wish him well and welcome any new recruits that come in to play DL.

Eight

Maybe he's transferring because he liked Patterson and Fitch, and doesn't want to play for Dykes and whoever he brings in to coach the DL. Maybe he has a relationship with Brandon Jones, SCs new DL coach. Or maybe he thought "if I have to play for new coaches, I'd rather play in the Rose Bowl than whatever Bowl the Frogs might play in". There are many reasons emotional young men make these decisions. But wish him well and welcome any new recruits that come in to play DL.

the rose bowl?

westoverhillbilly

UCLA plays its home games in the Rose Bowl while USC plays in the Colliseum- which is pretty cool too. Earl was a big get for us but was slow to develop it seems. Hopefully, we trade up at DL on this one and it's a plus for us..