• The KillerFrogs

KillerFrogs/FN: TCU Football: What Did We Learn From The Season

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU Football: What Did We Learn From The Season​

Story by JD Andress

AA1la4e7.img

5-7, the TCU Horned Frogs, fresh off a national championship appearance, finished the season 5-7. People will tell you that no one saw this coming, and "Oh wow, what happened to them? They were so good," but the answer is simple. This is what 90% of college football looks like for the country. Unless you are the cream of the top, such as Georgia, Ohio State, or Alabama, everyone has down years after great years; it's the natural process. Should that make this season hurt any less? No. However, some good and bad things can still be taken away from this season, and I will break that down, starting with the negative.

Read more at https://www.si.com/college/tcu/football/tcu-football-what-did-we-learn-from-the-season

GenXFrog

I agree with the scoring, which is why the author lost me with this line -

"Joe Gillespie is still the right guy for the job, and I believe that, given an entire off-season with the talented defensive line recruits, next season could be a completely different result."

If he's 'still the right guy', why not a more confident word for future results than 'could'? Such weak expectation setting after starting the thought so bullishly.

Defense was frustrating to watch, not due to the players on the field, but because of the lack of situational awareness in defensive play calling throughout the season.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I agree with the scoring, which is why the author lost me with this line -

"Joe Gillespie is still the right guy for the job, and I believe that, given an entire off-season with the talented defensive line recruits, next season could be a completely different result."

If he's 'still the right guy', why not a more confident word for future results than 'could'? Such weak expectation setting after starting the thought so bullishly.

Defense was frustrating to watch, not due to the players on the field, but because of the lack of situational awareness in defensive play calling throughout the season.
No clue why anyone who has watched this team's defense the last two seasons would defend it or the coordinator. It is almost as bad as I have seen in my lifetime. The difference in the 1970s we didn't have the offense to keep up.

The offense could have covered the defensive flaws this year with better red zone production and ball protection, but that didn't happen.

Look at the defensive grades given by Johnson in the FWST article. Overall fail across the board, most surprisngly in the defensive secondary which pre-season looked like a strength. It was not but I tie it more to scheme and its execution. No pressure up front puts a lot more pressure on the DBs.

fanatical frog

No clue why anyone who has watched this team's defense the last two seasons would defend it or the coordinator. It is almost as bad as I have seen in my lifetime. The difference in the 1970s we didn't have the offense to keep up.

The offense could have covered the defensive flaws this year with better red zone production and ball protection, but that didn't happen.

Look at the defensive grades given by Johnson in the FWST article. Overall fail across the board, most surprisngly in the defensive secondary which pre-season looked like a strength. It was not but I tie it more to scheme and its execution. No pressure up front puts a lot more pressure on the DBs.

Very much agree with the bolded. Not certain about the rest of the paragraph.

On OU's first two possessions they threw deep and the OU WR just ran right past our DB who had good position but just couldn't keep up. Time after time during the rest of the season our safeties seemed to be in good coverage and in position to make a play for the ball but just didn't. They either got twisted up, didn't look to see the ball or just plain got outfought.

The following is a comment probably best left to a different topic but I spent a large portion of the season wondering if we had any linebackers on the field.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I have to wonder if anyone speaks to him NOW. He could get all the material he needs from this forum.
This.

Some years ago, Top caught him on here and ragged on him very thoroughly. I would imagine he continues to lurk around, looking for juicy tidbits to weave his fantasies around.