• The KillerFrogs

KF.c Blog: Latest At Around The Diamond

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
You have possibly discussed them in past blogs but would like to see discussion from you, Frogdaddy, others on the signed pitchers.

FROGDADDY

All are high ceiling, polished for age and feature electric stuff. Best class of arms we have ever recruited.

I wouldn't call all of them polished and I reserve use of the term "electric" for guys like Verlander, but I agree it's easily the best class of arms TCU has ever signed. Whether or not it holds together is in doubt.

FROGDADDY

Check it out, if you are bored enough... Topics include some TCU Baseball media coverage, MLB Winter Meetings thoughts, the updated 2012 TCU Baseball Commit list and some other thoughts about... you know... doing what I do.

I'm told RHP Garrett Grim from Keller is coming to TCU also. Not sure if he signed in the fall or if he is even getting a scholarship, but pretty sure he's another recruit to add to that list unless something changed in the last few weeks.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
FROGDADDY said:
I wouldn't call all of them polished and I reserve use of the term "electric" for guys like Verlander, but I agree it's easily the best class of arms TCU has ever signed. Whether or not it holds together is in doubt.

Obviously, I use the term in comparison to the average college arm, not the entire spectrum of baseball.
Top 5 arms are more polished at this point in their development than Purke, Winkler, Maxwell, Cashner, ect. were. That isn't to say they will perform better, but is a nod to their physicality, mechanics, maturity, ect.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
FROGDADDY said:
I'm told RHP Garrett Grim from Keller is coming to TCU also. Not sure if he signed in the fall or if he is even getting a scholarship, but pretty sure he's another recruit to add to that list unless something changed in the last few weeks.

When i got a list of targets and offers around signing day, he wasn't on it. So, likely a newer decelopment. And some insurance for the class, sign that the staff think they will need him.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
FROGDADDY said:

And thank you for the info.

FROGDADDY

Obviously, I use the term in comparison to the average college arm, not the entire spectrum of baseball.
Top 5 arms are more polished at this point in their development than Purke, Winkler, Maxwell, Cashner, ect. were. That isn't to say they will perform better, but is a nod to their physicality, mechanics, maturity, ect.

I strongly disagree that any of them are as polished as Winkler was in HS. Probably none as polished as Purke either. Yeah, almost all are bigger and taller than those two, but Purke and Winkler were absolutely dominating HS pitchers for the duration of their HS careers. I'm not sure you could say that any of our current recruits have been dominating in their varsity careers so far. I expect that to change this spring for most of them.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
FROGDADDY said:
I strongly disagree that any of them are as polished as Winkler was in HS. Probably none as polished as Purke either. Yeah, almost all are bigger and taller than those two, but Purke and Winkler were absolutely dominating HS pitchers for the duration of their HS careers. I'm not sure you could say that any of our current recruits have been dominating in their varsity careers so far. I expect that to change this spring for most of them.

Numbers agree with you, I just don't place a lot of thought into somebody's high school varsity numbers. More their workouts, showcases and in-homes.
While I concede your point on numbers, when I look at their whole portrait of the player, considering everything and placing emphasis on mental development and focus, I think these guys are better. But, it is an academic exercise until we get through the spring and have reports built by all 30 teams.

FROGDADDY

Numbers agree with you, I just don't place a lot of thought into somebody's high school varsity numbers. More their workouts, showcases and in-homes.
While I concede your point on numbers, when I look at their whole portrait of the player, considering everything and placing emphasis on mental development and focus, I think these guys are better. But, it is an academic exercise until we get through the spring and have reports built by all 30 teams.

We're just using the term "polish" differently. Polish for me defines how advanced they are as a pitcher in terms of what pitches they throw, how they command them, how they mix them, how they compete, and most importantly results. What you call polish, I call "make-up". And yes, these kids all appear to have quality make-up. Not really fair to any of the kids mentioned so far to compare them to each other IMO. They are all good kids with good work ethic and family background.

I don't put a ton of stock in an in home visit, unless it's a really bad one. IMO just about anyone can put on a good face and tell you what you want to hear for an hour or so. I get very little out of most of them. I would much rather interact with the kids around the field. Over the course of a year or two it becomes very evident who has "pro make-up" and who doesn't. I also don't put a ton of stock in showcases for pitchers. Hitters is another story, but when all you have to do is show up and throw as hard as you can for an inning or two it's easy to appear better than you really are. All a kid has to do to become a "prospect" is throw over 90 mph, too often it gets overlooked that in the process of throwing that hard he had no secondary pitches and walked three guys in one inning. There is also nothing on the line in terms of winning a game. A showcase is simply about the individual player, not the team. I need to see a kid for 7 innings in a game that means something.

fanatical frog

When will we know ? Seems like we weren't sure about Cron until the first day of classes.

Leap Frog

Good discussion, Fungo and Daddy, you guys make it interesting. I think frogtex is reading, and would like his thoughts also.

frogtex

I'm not as familiar with the new slotting/penalty rules as you guys but I'm sure all of this will be relative to what the kid's expectations are in the draft....I believe you are missing a JUCO LHP from Blinn named Trevor Sidenberger...not sure of his draft risk...most of this comes down to ability PLUS signability, IMO

My guess is that if TCU can hold maybe 2 or 3 of the most high profile guys, (i.e. Traver, Fairchild, Ferrell, Thompson, Sidenberger, Young) and the others (Antone, Grimm, Trieglaff, Hennessy) plus Hendrix (a draft risk I understand too)..then that would be considered really successful.

FROGDADDY

I'm not as familiar with the new slotting/penalty rules as you guys but I'm sure all of this will be relative to what the kid's expectations are in the draft....I believe you are missing a JUCO LHP from Blinn named Trevor Sidenberger...not sure of his draft risk...most of this comes down to ability PLUS signability, IMO

My guess is that if TCU can hold maybe 2 or 3 of the most high profile guys, (i.e. Traver, Fairchild, Ferrell, Thompson, Sidenberger, Young) and the others (Antone, Grimm, Trieglaff, Hennessy) plus Hendrix (a draft risk I understand too)..then that would be considered really successful.

It's my understanding that Sidenberger is coming to TCU as well. Without knowing what any of them want in terms of money or how important school is, I would say that Traver is a decent bet to sign and that Thompson would be next in line. Fairchild would be next for me and he's sort of a wildcard, when he's good he's really good and when he's bad...... well you get the picture. Antone is also pretty interesting but his velocity isn't where it needs to be yet in terms of draft stock.