• The KillerFrogs

Kansas State Press Conference

Gary didn't have to tell me they weren't prepared for the wet field, all I had to do was watch the game. On offense, our strategy of getting it to speedsters and making guys miss was never going to work. Our shifty guys would try to make a hard cut and would slip and fall. You can't run those finesse style plays on a wet field. Rain was in the forecast all week, it's unacceptable to not be prepared for it, but we weren't.

My thought on signal gate was that we DID change the signals, but Sonny Dykes became familiar with the system of signal calling, and it only took him a few series to decode the new signals. This will always be a concern as long as Gary insists on calling the defense himself. He wants all eyes on him, he's not going to use a decoy play caller. How easy do you think it is to decode what a single playcaller is doing? Watch the call, watch the play, boom - that's the signal.

Long story short, I think he's telling the truth. Which may be more frightening than anything he could attempt to conceal.
I actually had two of our fund's quants watch the defense and (when available, Gary's signal calling) and withing about four minutes of defensive play both quants were able to decode the defense and accurately call the next play. Ridiculous--but if you ask any former player on defense over the past decade that would be one of their largest concerns, if not the largest.

Bruce Berry

Running list:

We're beat up
Need to grow up
They stole our signs
Go ask Cumbie
The fans suck
Grass too wet

Enough. End these idiotic press availabilities. We learn nothing and he doesn't want to do them. Serve no purpose at this point.

PS I'm sick of the Andy Dalton analogies. They aren't relevant-just sound like another excuse.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

I actually had two of our fund's quants watch the defense and (when available, Gary's signal calling) and withing about four minutes of defensive play both quants were able to decode the defense and accurately call the next play. Ridiculous--but if you ask any former player on defense over the past decade that would be one of their largest concerns, if not the largest.
The hell is a quant?

Moose Stuff

Apologies. Many definitions but for our firm they handle our high frequency and algorithmic trading. Basically someone (or nowadays even a computer) that's brilliant with antilogarithms, patterns, arithmetic, etc. The two guys I asked to watch film are field-experts in patterns.

The Astros are probably about to hire them.

Froggish

With Ellis III supposedly back I wonder if we will see T. Cooper at DE..He would absolute be an upgrade for Mathis and Blackshear. Can’t believe we haven’t played him there yet. He’s much leaner then Blacklock or Bethley and can get off the ball pretty well.

Wexahu

With Ellis III supposedly back I wonder if we will see T. Cooper at DE..He would absolute be an upgrade for Mathis and Blackshear. Can’t believe we haven’t played him there yet. He’s much leaner then Blacklock or Bethley and can get off the ball pretty well.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a base front four of Ellis, Cooper, Bethley and Blacklock. Just line em up wherever. Should be solid against the run and if we need a pass rush and they aren’t providing one bring a blitzer. Screw speed, we need some guys who can play off blocks, I don’t care if they run 5.0 fortys. That 4.6 speed is useless when it’s locked up against a blocker.

texas_sicilian

Why doesn’t he use decoys? It so easy to implement and wouldn’t require a revamp to his calling scheme.

I’m starting to wonder if his aversion to change is partially due to his superstitious nature of not breaking with what has traditionally worked, but surely not.

FrogCop19

Technically it’s a S converted to LB converted to DE and converted back to LB.

i-know-who-i-am-im-a-dude-playing-a-35670328.png

Froggish

I wouldn’t mind seeing a base front four of Ellis, Cooper, Bethley and Blacklock. Just line em up wherever. Should be solid against the run and if we need a pass rush and they aren’t providing one bring a blitzer. Screw speed, we need some guys who can play off blocks, I don’t care if they run 5.0 fortys. That 4.6 speed is useless when it’s locked up against a blocker.

we aren’t getting to the QB now without blitzing so we might as be shut the run down. Truth is all four of those mentioned at least can bull rush and would probably improve our pressure