• The KillerFrogs

Just passed by the Bluu and there is a bus and trailer parked out front

asleep003

Your point is understandable, makes sense. BUT, a diversity class should not be part of the required core curriculum.

The Behavioral Sciences should take care of a lot of this, however none of these courses are a required subject … leaving the shallow with less opportunity to grow in a more open and spiritual climate.

TCUdirtbag

My understanding is the DEI requirement doesn’t add a new class. Rather it adds a new column on the TCU Core curriculum under “Heritage, Mission, Vision & Values.” So you’ll have DEI alongside cultural awareness, global awareness, citizenship/social values, literary traditions, and religious traditions. In other words, another purple column here:

http://www.core.tcu.edu/documents/TCUCCWorksheet052809.pdf

And thus students will have opportunities to select from a broad range of classes in many disciplines that include DEI components in their syllabus. Maybe an education class about high risk students, a political science class, a religion class, a communications class, a life sciences class, etc.

Really not a big deal unless you’re looking to make it one.

Pharm Frog

My understanding is the DEI requirement doesn’t add a new class. Rather it adds a new column on the TCU Core curriculum under “Heritage, Mission, Vision & Values.” So you’ll have DEI alongside cultural awareness, global awareness, citizenship/social values, literary traditions, and religious traditions. In other words, another purple column here:

http://www.core.tcu.edu/documents/TCUCCWorksheet052809.pdf

And thus students will have opportunities to select from a broad range of classes in many disciplines that include DEI components in their syllabus. Maybe an education class about high risk students, a political science class, a religion class, a communications class, a life sciences class, etc.

Really not a big deal unless you’re looking to make it one.

Maybe this will be like some of the B-college curriculum I audited and found that requirements to included "sustainability". If so, could be entertaining. Some professors used the requirement to mock the concept while others played it more straight down the line and still others said, "read an article and comment on the discussion board if you want to". Saw virtually the identical thing done with "leadership" as profs differed greatly on whether it was learnable or teachable. But if it's really a curriculum embed, I don't see the connection to the post that indicated the vote was for a 3-hour course.

HToady

Would that 'diversity' course also promote the diversity of thought, which is currently under attack at many universities?
Usually these type of things are initiated by those pushing an agenda. It will be up to the entire University to make sure that it is delivered equitably and within the law.

LawFrog504

Do y'all remember a year ago or so when a couple of students just started demanding diversity related things from the university? a few highlights:
-TCU increase faculty of color by 10% and ensure the retention rate is 75%
-We demand a $100 million endowment to further support minority students.
-We demand that the flag be lowered when people of color are murdered by those who protect and serve.

This was laughably absurd at the time and even more so now. Talk about an agenda, here you go. Just ask for a meeting with the 13 highest ranking university officials and then start demanding things.

Do y'all remember a year ago or so when a couple of students just started demanding diversity related things from the university? a few highlights:
-TCU increase faculty of color by 10% and ensure the retention rate is 75%
-We demand a $100 million endowment to further support minority students.
-We demand that the flag be lowered when people of color are murdered by those who protect and serve.

This was laughably absurd at the time and even more so now. Talk about an agenda, here you go. Just ask for a meeting with the 13 highest ranking university officials and then start demanding things.
Daenerys demanded a meeting with the 13.

It didn’t end well for them.

4 Oaks Frog

My subconscious is screaming to get out!!!
But, my conscienceness is t r y i n g t o
h o l d i t b a c k!!!! N o t w o r k i n g!!
O h n o!!! C a n ‘ t s t o p i t!!

I call [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] on all of this, You make conscious decisions to either do the right thing or not, to say the right thing or not, to be a good person or not, to be ugly to someone or not. Those decisions are clear and present. You can’t and shouldn’t be able to blame the ugly things that you do on your subconscious. That like saying, “You are stupid...Just kidding!” Either you do the right thing, or you don’t...and that decision is purely a conscious decision. When someone works to convince a truly good person that subconsciously they are bad...that is emphatically [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]!!!
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~< and [Baylor asshoe]!!!

Zubaz

My subconscious is screaming to get out!!!
But, my conscienceness is t r y i n g t o
h o l d i t b a c k!!!! N o t w o r k i n g!!
O h n o!!! C a n ‘ t s t o p i t!!

I call [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] on all of this, You make conscious decisions to either do the right thing or not, to say the right thing or not, to be a good person or not, to be ugly to someone or not. Those decisions are clear and present. You can’t and shouldn’t be able to blame the ugly things that you do on your subconscious. That like saying, “You are stupid...Just kidding!” Either you do the right thing, or you don’t...and that decision is purely a conscious decision. When someone works to convince a truly good person that subconsciously they are bad...that is emphatically [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]!!!
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~< and [Baylor asshoe]!!!
None of this is what unconscious bias is referring to. You're arguing against a strawman.

YA

I for one am SHOCKED that a forum of straight white guys dislikes the idea of examining their unconscious biases and is also opposed to diversity
Good point. It is so funny that some people get so triggered about things that is outside their worldview. A lot of snowflakes around here and the usual suspects.

BABYFACE

I for one am SHOCKED that a forum of straight white guys dislikes the idea of examining their unconscious biases and is also opposed to diversity
Come on man, no one is questioning diversity or against it.

But you bring up an interesting point.

On my past travel select teams, the player make up thru the years has been white, Hispanic, Black, and Asian. Sometimes all 4 represesented, sometimes 2 of them represented. But, I never added a girl to my team based on her race. I added girls because I thought they could play. I do not care what their ethnic background is.

This is what is supposed to be, people are evaluated on their skills and talents, not race. I do not need diversity training to understand that.

AroundWorldFrog

When some of you people screaming about diversity can tell me about spending the better part of a decade being pretty much the only white guy in the room the majority of the time, come see me.

Last edited: