• The KillerFrogs

It begins - Carrington to Arizona State

Eight

The fact that assistants do so much of the recruiting is such a strange dynamic. The odds of any of the assistants being around in two years is probably 50/50 at best. And recruiting is supposedly all about relationships.

how do you think the recruiting should be handled?

those coaches actually have more point to point contact with the kids than almost anyone else on the coaching staff

Wexahu

how do you think the recruiting should be handled?

those coaches actually have more point to point contact with the kids than almost anyone else on the coaching staff
I don’t know, I guess that’s the way it should be, or has to be. Just pointing out that it’s strange.

Jet Set Frog

The problem: GR is currently hot on the OC market. He is losing Max, Miller, and QJ. Next year will be a year to really demonstrate skill at the OC position. 2 years in a row with HUGE success with different personnel would light his career up. He would have HC jobs to choose from. If next year doesn’t live up, his stock falls.

If I’m GR, I’m going to thoroughly assess who steps up for TCU player-wise and whether I think those pieces could be great. If GR leaves now, it’s likely a sign that next year will be quite tough for us.
If he's that good, then he can take the skill players we'll have left and scheme to make them successful for the next year or two. That would increase his stock even more and posture him well for a HC position.

Eight

I don’t know, I guess that’s the way it should be, or has to be. Just pointing out that it’s strange.

agree that it is an odd arrangement and not sure it is a matter of has to be or always has been

if you think about it, no different than the inefficiencies of talent acquisition and development in manner businesses

Eight

Too many places to be for a HC, DC and OC.

agreed, when i talk with a couple of friends who coached in college about the demands it is amazing the amount of time and energy required

one guy coached at a school in a bordering state for roughly 8-10 years and recruited texas back before all the recruiting combines, passing leagues, the extra staff, etc........

they would subscribe to a number of papers from state that would be mailed to the football offices. some "lucky" ga would get the job of reading through the sports section looking for names that might pop up for them to record in a file folder. over the year they would look for more articles from basketball and track

obviously now you have the internet, computers, the combines etc.....but you also recruit a much wider geographic area. both of the friends left college and went back to high school to save their marriages and see their kids

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I think DKR was quoted at the end of his career saying (I paraphrase) sooner or later you get sick begging 18 year olds to come play for you.

mgsouthpaw

carrington and samples are not there for x’s & o’s at all. they are there for crootin’ Samples was a consideration for HC at SMU. if Les Miles and Coach O can win a natty clearly the x & o’s can be figured out by staff.