• The KillerFrogs

Indianapolis Star: Indiana State athletic director Sherard Clinkscales explains decision to withdraw Super Regional bid

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Indiana State athletic director Sherard Clinkscales explains decision to withdraw Super Regional bid​

IndyStar Sports

7eab4e26bd96c5a4a3a6cdcc648c7800

In a move he called "excruciating," Indiana State athletic director Sherard Clinkscales took responsibility Tuesday for decisions that resulted in the Sycamores playing a baseball Super Regional on the road, despite earning the right to host the series.

The Sycamores, seeded 14th in the nation, won a regional they hosted last weekend and are set to play TCU on Friday-Sunday. Because of facilities and staffing conflicts with an annual Special Olympics event this weekend, the series will be played in Fort Worth, Texas.

"Our student-athletes earned the right (to host the series)," Clinkscales said. "I made the tough decision and said, 'We cannot do it the right way,’ and that's why that tough decision was made."

Read more at https://sports.yahoo.com/indiana-state-athletic-director-sherard-001918977.html

ShreveFrog

I don’t know all the details. So I won’t completely blast the man. But no where in that article did he indicate he tried to find a way to get it done. He had to see this conflict coming well in advance. And just threw up his hands? He seems weak. And his high achieving baseball team must be demoralized as a result.

I don’t know all the details. So I won’t completely blast the man. But no where in that article did he indicate he tried to find a way to get it done. He had to see this conflict coming well in advance. And just threw up his hands? He seems weak. And his high achieving baseball team must be demoralized as a result.
I have a feeling $$$ was part of the reason. In 2000-2001, I think their entire athletic budget was $11mm and the school's balance sheet does not look too pretty. It is probably significantly cheaper to put the ball players and the nine coaches/support staff on a commercial plane and room/board them at a local hotel than to financially and logistically host an event at a "neighboring institution."

FWSTC Hfrog

The part of this article that stuck out to me was that the HC says he did not know they were not hosting until Monday. Imagine winning your regional on Sunday thinking you are hosting. Monday morning getting a call from the AD, ”Oh, by the way….”. Then having to tell your team the news. When the season ends I would figure he will be having a serious conversation with the AD why he was not informed when the decision was made on 5/27. It won’t be pretty.

Eight

The part of this article that stuck out to me was that the HC says he did not know they were not hosting until Monday. Imagine winning your regional on Sunday thinking you are hosting. Monday morning getting a call from the AD, ”Oh, by the way….”. Then having to tell your team the news. When the season ends I would figure he will be having a serious conversation with the AD why he was not informed when the decision was made on 5/27. It won’t be pretty.

wow, there were people here on sunday talking about the frogs hosting and in this day and age with cell phones, texting, heck, drive over to the guys house for goodness sake and you can't tell them to damn near everyone else knows?

hometown frog

And people around here like to complain about how TCU athletics is run for some reason. I’m guessing their head coach will prob entertain some outside offers from this. Hard to feel like your AD has you and your sports back when this messy situation is allowed to unfold like it did.

froginmn

That part seems weird for a few reasons. First, the coach went to ISU in the 80s and has coached there for ten years. Second, Terre Haute has hosted the IN Special Olympics every year of his life.

How could he not know of the potential conflict and be in communication with his boss about this? I know that I personally would have been trying to manage up to ask what we can do to make it happen...