• The KillerFrogs

I'll be damned.

puckster59

BYU clearly came into the game saying your QB is going to have to beat us. Had seven or eight in the box from start to finish. Offensive coaches really had no choice but to throw. Say this, though: The O-line did a fine job. They’ll need a similar outing next week against a much better defense.

CountryFrog

Let’s be a little fair here. The week of Iowa state , he wasn’t running practice with the 1s and wasn’t practicing with being the starter in his head (big difference). Yeah, no film to be had on him. Should be interesting now that most of the gimme games are gone now, geez HCSD. I mean SD just has blinders on when dealing the Morris. That whole coaching fraternity secret handshake crap basically cost us 3 avoidable losses. I hope he gets pounded with questions all year now.
In what way am I not being fair to Hoover? How much more complimentary can I possibly be of the kid? I've simply been pointing out that it's going to get more difficult for him over these next few weeks.

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s the second coming just yet but he really looked far more self assured and comfortable than Morris ever has. He also made reads quicker than Morris does.

For me, given that Morris hasn’t looked that great, and has gotten injured the last 2-3 years, just let Hoover start the rest of the year and see what happens. If it works, great, if it doesn’t, let the Aledo kid take the reins.
They said Hoover made big strides last spring. I wonder if Mr. Jackson watching Hoover up close on last year’s scout team may have helped him pack for Cal before spring training. Others have always said it was Jackson being told there would be no competition for QB1, the job belonging to Morris.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
No problems. He definitely wasn't the only one though. There are also a lot of people who were scared to death of Morris getting hurt that are now saying "I can't believe we picked the wrong QB two year in a row, what is our staff doing!"
That is a good question because I will always stand by there is no way CM actually beat out Duggan. There was something else going on, possibly some pressure to make a change with the new staff and based on the 2021 season, but also I think because of the Morris name.

PineyWoodsFrog

Not trying to be a party pooper here but does anybody remember what Chandler did in his very first start....

How did that turn out?
The fact that people don't realize we were saying the same things after Chandler's first start is certainly a development. I hope Hoov can build on what he did yesterday and we can start rolling, but acting like Chandler was never good is just piling on at this point.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The things I found promising yesterday were,

1.) Hoover played with confidence. Control. Poise. Much like what we saw in the Spring Game, only better. And, as much as I detest Briles, the offense he runs was extremely effective with the right players executing it. Hoover was decisive and quick, and this never allowed BYU to catch their breath.

2.) The team had an entirely different attitude, and it was plain from the pre-game workouts that they were operating on a much sharper focus than before. Tight. Solid. Business like. The defense tackled, and played much better as a unit than before. The offense was tight and efficient, operating like clockwork at times. Yeah, there were bumps, but they were exceptions rather than rules.

3.) This attitude change was huge. The team under Hoover is totally different, and I love it! The people around us kept joking, "Who are these guys?" The change was that dramatic. We could all see it. Will it hold? I believe so. It's like a weight was lifted, and everyone realized they could fly.

I am optimistic!

TCUdirtbag

Clearly, the staff knew what they had or they wouldn’t have said in his first career start “Hey, let’s throw 55 passes even though we’re ahead by 30”!

Well, I’m not sure this is the case.

He’s throwing because there ain’t nobody behind him. They surely told him “do not take a hit.”

PurpleBlood87

The fact that people don't realize we were saying the same things after Chandler's first start is certainly a development. I hope Hoov can build on what he did yesterday and we can start rolling, but acting like Chandler was never good is just piling on at this point.
Morris threw for 461 and ran for 70 yards in his first start. But if not for the Baylor QB throwing the ball to Shad Banks late the Bears would have probably won.

LisaLT

This was the first game that didn’t result in THIS:
Drunk That 70S Show GIF by Peacock

But did result in THIS
Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

Spike

I will repeat something that Schloss once said. We as fans are looking at a much more limited body of work then what the coaches see. They see practice every day, spring ball, the spring game, August 2 a days. The whole bit. Gotta give them some benefit of the doubt. Hoover scared me to death in the Nichols State game and the first drive or 2 against ISU.

I'm cautiously optimistic again and I love it.

Frogfam4

Morris threw for 461 and ran for 70 yards in his first start. But if not for the Baylor QB throwing the ball to Shad Banks late the Bears would have probably won.
Hoover is a better QB than Morris. I have more confidence in his throws. Yes it gets tougher but the kid can play. I never had confidence in Morris since he has been here.