• The KillerFrogs

I concur with the thoughts.

I copied/pasted this from a friend's Facebook account. From an official's view, it's worth the read.

No photo description available.

Many people look at this shirt and just see a referee/official’s uniform. Very few people look at this shirt and see what it really is - pure dedication, strength, and nerve.
They don’t see what goes on behind the scenes. Days away from families and one’s home, countless hours of studying, analyzing and reanalyzing one’s own calls, reading and re-reading the rule book, countless hours on the phones with other officials to ask questions and mentor each other, hours and their own money dedicated to associations and trying to make the world of officiating a better place.
What people think they see: “a horrible official”, “someone who doesn’t know the rules”, “a biased official who “clearly” has it out for their team”, “someone who should never be able to be an official”.
To those people who sit in the stands or sit behind their computer screens or phones making these comments – I encourage you to try it. Sitting in the stands or on the couch and making the calls is the easy route. Because you have the ability to be right or wrong with no consequences. The official out there on the mat, field, or court has to be right all the time (which is subjective to your eyes, your team, and your desired outcome, instead of the rules). I encourage you take the official’s test. Take it and you will see that you didn’t pass because you don’t know as much about the sport as you thought you did. And when you do fail, use it as motivation to join an association, read and study the rule book, and then take the test again. After taking the test (probably multiple times), maybe just maybe you will pass. And if you do pass, then go ahead and put on the uniform, muscle up the nerve and strength to actually become an official and step out into the center mat, court, or field.
Every sport is in need of more officials. The number of officials and number of younger people wanting to be officials has greatly decreased. Why? Probably because it is an extremely difficult position to be put in, and all you get in return is constant hate.
To the fans – I am not asking you not to root for your team. Root and scream for your team! If you don’t like a call, boo it, and then move on! What I am asking, is please be more respectful in person or online.
Officials walk out to a game or match knowing that by the end of it they will have one side hating and degrading them. They are required to make the tough calls over and over again, calls that will upset one side or the other. It is a lose-lose situation regardless of the outcome. So why do they do it? My guess would be for the love of the sport.
Officials are humans, with families- wives, husbands, and children, with friends, with homes, other careers, and feelings. They are people. Real people. Who, after everything that they do, still have to listen and read horrible comments from people who wouldn’t dare or have enough courage or knowledge to step out into the fire. Yet these officials have enough dedication and nerve to continuously step out onto the mat, court, field, etc… over and over and over again because they love what they do and they love the sport. They are truly relentless. Are they always perfect? Probably not. They are humans, in a world of sports where rules are ever changing and evolving. They are dedicated, and every official that I know uses every call, match, game, and outcome as a learning experience, whether good or bad.
Officiating is one of the most difficult and thankless jobs that I can think of. So to every official out there – THANK YOU. Thank you for doing everything that you do so that the world can enjoy the thrill and excitement of sports. Thank you for the brotherhood and sisterhood that you provide each other, and for becoming each other’s lifelong friends and family. Thank you for giving up countless hours and days away from your families. Thank you for continuing to put yourself out there over and over again regardless of all of the negative feedback and comments/posts from spectators. Thank you for the time and energy that you dedicate into your craft, so that we, as spectators, can sit, watch, and enjoy the sports that we love.

AroundWorldFrog

Go Texass
ezgif-4092084582.0.gif

A favorite
ben-dreith-referee.gif

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Well said. Years ago I was asked to help with the first down marker for a season and just doing that simple task was eye opening.

FrogCop19

Great post, ZF. Thanks again for your insight.

Out of curiosity, have you ever worked with someone that you felt was, in fact, biased for (or against) one of the teams on the field? Or have you ever seen anyone make or argue a call that you KNOW is wrong? Obviously no names or anything else that might implicate someone.

FrogCop19 - No, I never have, with a couple of exceptions, of which I have been a part of myself, but you will seldom see in a college game, but I'm sure it's happened. Something like this "may" have happened when a team is obviously much better, the score is way out of hand, there is very little time on the clock, and either the team that is ahead is about to score again or the team behind is about to score to avoid being shutout. The team ahead just "might" be flagged for holding, or the team behind "might" have held and it didn't get called. Remember, the game is for the kids, and I was just trying to protect their dignity. That is the only time I can think of when it might be done, but that would be in a high school game.

As for making a call that is dead-ass wrong, if there was an official that was close to the play, then he would come to the calling official and say something like this, "Joe, I got a good look at your call and I just didn't see what you saw. Are you sure you want to stay with it?" The calling official would have the final word, though. If he was convinced he got it right, then that would it, as it's his call and he would be the one responsible. Trust me, the film doesn't lie. And when he sees it on video, 99.9% of the time he will admit he got it wrong, but it's a good learning experience, and the next time he is in that situation, he might trust his fellow official a little more. I would never have gone to another official and tried to talk him out of a call unless I was 100% certain he had missed it. Most try to avoid "fishing in somebody else's pond." On every play, each official has certain areas and keys that are their responsibility. So, if you are taking care of your own job, it might be doubtful that you see a foul called in the other guy's "pond." Most of the time if there is a flag thrown and then a huddle with another official, it's possible there is discussion going on about the call. Most of the time, though, it's about the enforcement of the penalty and not whether it was a right or wrong call. Good communication can prevent a mistake being made. If replay CAN get involved, it's common to go ahead and let the play continue and let replay fix it. Replay can't fix everything, though.

I hope this is what you were looking for. If your team is leading 50-0 with 5:00 on the clock and you get called for something, when the official comes over to tell you who did it, just grin, nod your head, and accept it for what it is.
:D:D

Brevity Frog

Zebra, you’re a personal fave poster, but respectfully, I disagree utterly.

Let’s pretend someone wrote the same thing about lawyers. “Just try taking the bar exam and when you fail then go to school for years and dedicate yourself to learning the law and then if you pass then put yourself in the courtroom and ….blah blah”

Lawyers make tons of sacrifices and work very hard to get where they are and law is extremely competitive and difficult. BUT

There are some bad lawyers out there. Really terrible ones who are rotten at their jobs. There are dishonest lawyers and lawyers on the take and lawyers who are incompetent and lawyers who make critical mistakes. Lawyers who aren’t smart enough to get the job done well and lawyers who don’t belong in the profession. They are yelled at and criticized and sued and many times they deserve it.

Same for refs. I’m convinced that there are refs who don’t belong out there at all and refs who are on the take (Mavs v Heat series sealed that deal for me to a certainty). It’s a good ol boy network in many ways (see sons with “famous” ref dads accelerating to the NFL).

In short, if refs take heat for doing a terrible / incompetent / dishonest job, they are criticized and yelled at and many times they deserve it. They don’t get sued so it’s not close to as risky as it is for the lawyers. Refs deserve what they get most of the time IMO. The “getting yelled at” part is a part of the job and I am unmoved by the FB poster’s high-handed post.

How I wish the refs out there were of your quality!

FrogCop19

FrogCop19 - No, I never have, with a couple of exceptions, of which I have been a part of myself, but you will seldom see in a college game, but I'm sure it's happened. Something like this "may" have happened when a team is obviously much better, the score is way out of hand, there is very little time on the clock, and either the team that is ahead is about to score again or the team behind is about to score to avoid being shutout. The team ahead just "might" be flagged for holding, or the team behind "might" have held and it didn't get called. Remember, the game is for the kids, and I was just trying to protect their dignity. That is the only time I can think of when it might be done, but that would be in a high school game.

As for making a call that is dead-ass wrong, if there was an official that was close to the play, then he would come to the calling official and say something like this, "Joe, I got a good look at your call and I just didn't see what you saw. Are you sure you want to stay with it?" The calling official would have the final word, though. If he was convinced he got it right, then that would it, as it's his call and he would be the one responsible. Trust me, the film doesn't lie. And when he sees it on video, 99.9% of the time he will admit he got it wrong, but it's a good learning experience, and the next time he is in that situation, he might trust his fellow official a little more. I would never have gone to another official and tried to talk him out of a call unless I was 100% certain he had missed it. Most try to avoid "fishing in somebody else's pond." On every play, each official has certain areas and keys that are their responsibility. So, if you are taking care of your own job, it might be doubtful that you see a foul called in the other guy's "pond." Most of the time if there is a flag thrown and then a huddle with another official, it's possible there is discussion going on about the call. Most of the time, though, it's about the enforcement of the penalty and not whether it was a right or wrong call. Good communication can prevent a mistake being made. If replay CAN get involved, it's common to go ahead and let the play continue and let replay fix it. Replay can't fix everything, though.

I hope this is what you were looking for. If your team is leading 50-0 with 5:00 on the clock and you get called for something, when the official comes over to tell you who did it, just grin, nod your head, and accept it for what it is.
:D:D
Thanks, I'm going to echo a statement made above and say I hope (wish) every ref out there is cut from your cloth.

Follow-up comment:
I am routinely amazed by (and sometimes sympathize with) football officials because of the amount of things you have to look for all in a split second. I know that's why there are so many on the field (above the middle school level, where were lucky to have three most times), but still...Did he make the catch? Were his feet in bounds? Did he maintain control all the way to the ground? Did he step out earlier, or was he pushed out before he caught it? Did he push off or was it "just a little hand fighting"?

And that's all just in one play. Kudos, sir, and thank you for posting.

Froglaw

Let’s pretend someone wrote the same thing about lawyers. “Just try taking the bar exam and when you fail then go to school for years and dedicate yourself to learning the law and then if you pass then put yourself in the courtroom and ….blah blah”

Lawyers make tons of sacrifices and work very hard to get where they are and law is extremely competitive and difficult. BUT

There are some bad lawyers out there. Really terrible ones who are rotten at their jobs. There are dishonest lawyers and lawyers on the take and lawyers who are incompetent and lawyers who make critical mistakes. Lawyers who aren’t smart enough to get the job done well and lawyers who don’t belong in the profession. They are yelled at and criticized and sued and many times they deserve it.

Same for refs. I’m convinced that there are refs who don’t belong out there at all and refs who are on the take (Mavs v Heat series sealed that deal for me to a certainty). It’s a good ol boy network in many ways (see sons with “famous” ref dads accelerating to the NFL).

In short, if refs take heat for doing a terrible / incompetent / dishonest job, they are criticized and yelled at and many times they deserve it. They don’t get sued so it’s not close to as risky as it is for the lawyers. Refs deserve what they get most of the time IMO. The “getting yelled at” part is a part of the job and I am unmoved by the FB poster’s high-handed post.

In the spirit of Christmas Present, go fry an egg!

froginmn

I think one clear difference is that officials at various levels get stuff thrown at them, get followed to their cars, physically threatened, etc.

Maybe those things happen to lawyers but I doubt it.

And I'm guessing the pay scales are very different.

Limp Lizard

So, the bad refs need to receive a "participation" trophy no matter how bad they are?

The personal threats, etc., are not good at all. Like following a team's bad QB (who is still the best the team has) and threating him for not playing better. But he is still a pathetic QB.

tcudoc

What about pilots as an example. If you’re a bad pilot, you don’t get criticized or sued. You die along with those who would have been critical. That’s the difference between bad doctors and bad pilots. If a bad doctor kills somebody though negligence, they get to go on and keep practicing (sometimes). A bad pilot usually kills themselves along with others if they are negligent (not to imply all plane crashes are due to negligence).

Thank you for the compliment in the last line. I tried my best to be honest, professional, and fair in every game I worked. And have tried to maintain that same philosophy in my real job, even though some people think I'm on the same level as a used car salesman.

One of my daughters is a lawyer, and I think she would agree with your assessment. She worked very hard to get her law degree and passed the bar the first time she took it. But, personally, I have had the good fortune of never meeting one in either profession. Well, I take that back, I have known some officials that were really bad. They weren't good officials, but I don't think they were dishonest. I know for a fact if one was on the take, I never knew about it. If I found out they were, I would have reported them immediately. As for the guy in the picture, I have no idea who that was, but wish I did. That was a disgrace. At one time there was a picture of a group of officials that was circulated on Facebook by the Aggies as one of them them was wearing a TU sweatshirt and had just made a call that favored the Whorens. The Aggies got his name and personal info and spread it everywhere. He is a good friend of mine and the reason he had on that sweatshirt was that they were at a party and he got wet. His host was a TU grad and lent him the shirt to wear before the picture was taken. He was a quarterback at a school that wasn't even in the Big 12 and was not a fan. Most conferences will not allow an official to work a game if there is any connection at all to where he or his immediate family went to school.

Bottom line, it really doesn't make any difference what kind of profession you are in, there are good ones and bad ones. There is no denying that.

So, the bad refs need to receive a "participation" trophy no matter how bad they are?

The personal threats, etc., are not good at all. Like following a team's bad QB (who is still the best the team has) and threating him for not playing better. But he is still a pathetic QB.

I can't really agree with the "participation" trophy statement. They can be a horrible official to a lot of people, but at least they are on the field trying to help the kids in some way, even though they may be doing a bad job. It may be just to try and give something back to a game they love, but at least they got off their butt and tried. To me, that's better than not doing anything at all.

I don't like seeing bad calls either. Sometimes I get really pissed off when I think they kick a call, but I'm sympathetic to all officials that have put in the time, work, sacrifices, and effort to be where they are.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
@Zebra Frog
I have been watching the Div III Championship game, and it seems like the officials are very young. In the CFB model do officials start at the lower levels and then work their way up to FCS and then FBS over time? Do any of them start right off at FBS? I guess I am also curious how they decide which specialty to choose, like Back Judge or Linesman. Or can all officials work all of the different specialties? And I guss the last question in this category is how does one become the Head Ref? Is it its own specialty, or do they come from the other specialties, by invitation?

In a separate direction, I am curious about pay. Are all officials paid the same, from Div III to Div I? If not, are there different pay scales from say, Big 12 to SEC? Finally, is pay figured for the season, or per game? I don't need to know actual dollar figures, just the basics of how it all works.