• The KillerFrogs

I’m convinced

TCUWIN

Riley’s offense is designed for a quarterback that can throw and run. Not a pocket guy, but a guy with a little more feel for the passing game. It’s why they chose Morris as the starter. Max is as tough as anyone. He is a leader beyond measure. He is as athletic as anyone. But he is not a pocket quarterback. He waits to see guys open, which is too late in the college game. Takes too many sacks. I know this is out there, but imagine a Baker Mayfield, or Hurts or Kyler Murray running the Frogs offense. We would have multiple heisman trophy winners. Congrats to Max on all he did. He put up with a lot. But the offense could take another step forward next year if the Oline can replace the three grads and Bailey and company can be almost as effective as Miller and Demercado. I know that’s a lot, but…

Rabidfrog

First I say grats to the TCU football team. What they accomplished is 100 times greater than anything Georgia did. TCU captured what football is. That is competition, exceeding the sum of your parts, and exceeding expectations. Teams like TCU are great for college football. Individuals like Max Dugan are great for college football. I believe Max has a real shot to be an NFL QB. Nothing is guaranteed in a profession where so few succeed. In my opinion TCU are the bigger winners. Georgia is just a minor league professional team run by a 25 year old man who has the advantage of competing against kids. Georgia can never win more because the expectation is to win. Everything else is a failure from expectations.
If college football survives this period of change, it is because programs like TCU carried it through this time of uncertainty.
thanks for a unique perspective.

Mean Purple

Unfortunately the expanded playoffs is going to hurt teams like ours. Yes, more teams get a shot but very few have the depth. This was probably our best shot to win it all. It will only be harder now.
True. The same 4 teams are gonna get the bi weeks every year. They could have easily expanded to 8 teams and made everybody happy, but they were hell bent on giving bi weeks to cover for brands.

Mean Purple

Riley’s offense is designed for a quarterback that can throw and run. Not a pocket guy, but a guy with a little more feel for the passing game. It’s why they chose Morris as the starter. Max is as tough as anyone. He is a leader beyond measure. He is as athletic as anyone. But he is not a pocket quarterback. He waits to see guys open, which is too late in the college game. Takes too many sacks. I know this is out there, but imagine a Baker Mayfield, or Hurts or Kyler Murray running the Frogs offense. We would have multiple heisman trophy winners. Congrats to Max on all he did. He put up with a lot. But the offense could take another step forward next year if the Oline can replace the three grads and Bailey and company can be almost as effective as Miller and Demercado. I know that’s a lot, but…
Good points. Morris is already hungry for it. Didn't like that he spoke to the press yesterday, but if he can back it up, go for it. Bailey showed he can hit the hole yesterday.

Mean Purple

Yep. Easier to get in. MUCH harder to win it all.

Said it a million times, but in past formats (mainly prior to the CFP) a team could win a Title without having to play the very best teams at the end. That's how we have Georgia Tech, BYU and Colorado among the names listed as National Champions over the past 40 years. No more. Some people think the expanded playoff is going to bring about more parity, but it might just further reveal the real differences between the truly elite and everyone else.

Regardless of outcomes of some individual games, there is almost zero doubt in my mind the three BEST teams in the country this year were Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. About a 99% chance one of those teams would have won a 12-team playoff.
For the first time in a while, I have to leave Bama off that list. They might be number 6, maybe. Their offense has put the D in a bad spot more this year. And they just are not at normal level this year. Don't know if it is a young team in spots or what, but it is not their "standard" this year.

Eight

For the first time in a while, I have to leave Bama off that list. They might be number 6, maybe. Their offense has put the D in a bad spot more this year. And they just are not at normal level this year. Don't know if it is a young team in spots or what, but it is not their "standard" this year.

one question, is bill o'brien still their oc?

Wexahu

No worse than #3 in my opinion.

I mean, name me three teams that you think are better? Not three that should be ranked higher, but that are better?

Zubaz

I mean, name me three teams that you think are better? Not three that should be ranked higher, but that are better?
Well, we know LSU and Tennessee are better, and I'm pretty sure Georgia is better too. That's three in the SEC alone.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I love how you say bashing is stupid, then go on to highlight the things people are bashing the team over (and rightfully so).

I love the frogs, but am simply going to feel stupid wearing my TCU gear on the flight home from LA because this team just proved all the haters right and laid an egg on the biggest stage of all.
You’re going to feel stupid wearing TCU gear today? That’s ridiculous. Grow a pair, man.
If anyone says anything, just hit 'em with your purse!

Mean Purple

I actually think Michigan is better. And TCU (although depth hurts). Ohio State (even with the injuries) and Penn State. Obviously Georgia. If Clemson would have played he better qb this year, they would be better, but that will now take another year to gel. The injury to the star hurt the Vols.

It was not bama's loss to LSU that exposed them the most to me. It was actually in their win on Ole Miss. They'll be back, but they were missing on some things this year.

Wexahu

I actually think Michigan is better. And TCU (although depth hurts). Ohio State (even with the injuries) and Penn State. Obviously Georgia. If Clemson would have played he better qb this year, they would be better, but that will now take another year to gel. The injury to the star hurt the Vols.

It was not bama's loss to LSU that exposed them the most to me. It was actually in their win on Ole Miss. They'll be back, but they were missing on some things this year.
Penn State and Clemson? Wow. Just wow.

With all due respect, I think you are REALLY reaching here.

Mean Purple

Penn State and Clemson? Wow. Just wow.

With all due respect, I think you are REALLY reaching here.
read that again. I did not say Clemson was better. They could have been. Penn State would beat Bama in a match up in my opinion. And over all, I think they are better. Bama had a drop off this year, bud. Now, I would love to have that be my down season, but, still.

Wexahu

Well, we know LSU and Tennessee are better, and I'm pretty sure Georgia is better too. That's three in the SEC alone.
No, we don't know that LSU and Tennessee are better. They were better for one game on a particular day, as we all know, the better team doesn't win every game . So I guess Texas A&M is better than LSU and South Carolina is better than Tennessee. But then again South Carolina lost to Arkansas so I guess Arkansas is better than South Carolina.

Jeezus, I thought you'd be a little more nuanced than that.

Hemingway

This would be like the Wright Brothers entering their first functioning plane into the Red Bull Air Race World Championships. We had a program cobbled together from a fired former defensive-minded coach's philosophy into a new offensive-minded coach's philosophy with players from half a dozen other schools portal transfers and new recruits.

We accomplished AMAAAAZING things this year, and we were pretty much all but spent. But hey, like I said in another post, we spent our last gasping breaths in the National frickin' Championship game.
We need bigger humans and to hit people in waves of depth.

I’ve just recently learned that going to a bowl game and winning a National Championship require two completely different levels talent.

Zubaz

No, we don't know that LSU and Tennessee are better. They were better for one game on a particular day, as we all know, the better team doesn't win every game . So I guess Texas A&M is better than LSU and South Carolina is better than Tennessee. But then again South Carolina lost to Arkansas so I guess Arkansas is better than South Carolina.

Jeezus, I thought you'd be a little more nuanced than that.
Hang on a second. In the first post you said who wanted to know what three teams are better. Quoting you, you asked for "Not three that should be ranked higher, but that are better?"

So we can't go on records, which is what I assume you meant based on who deserved to be ranked higher, and now we can't go on who actually beat them on the field because of reasons....what the heck can you go on? Sounds to me like you just want to go on recruiting rankings / athlete quality, and take the on-field product out entirely.

Wexahu

read that again. I did not say Clemson was better. They could have been. Penn State would beat Bama in a match up in my opinion. And over all, I think they are better. Bama had a drop off this year, bud. Now, I would love to have that be my down season, but, still.
They weren't as good as they have been in recent years, but they were still no worse than the 3rd best team in the country IMO. Had they been in an expanded playoffs, they'd have been at worst the 3rd most dangerous team.

Sure, they had a few hiccups but it's not like Clemson, Penn State and anyone else not named Georgia didn't. They fell behind 14-3 to K-State and then proceeded to dominate them. All I know is if Clemson, Penn State and Alabama were given a few weeks prep to get geared up to play each other, I know who I am taking in those games every time. Throw Michigan in there too.

Wexahu

Hang on a second. In the first post you said who wanted to know what three teams are better. Quoting you, you asked for "Not three that should be ranked higher, but that are better?"

So we can't go on records, which is what I assume you meant based on who deserved to be ranked higher, and now we can't go on who actually beat them on the field because of reasons....what the heck can you go on? Sounds to me like you just want to go on recruiting rankings / athlete quality, and take the on-field product out entirely.
Think along these lines.....if the teams played each other five times on a neutral field, who would win more often. It's not that complicated.

If you think Tennessee and LSU would beat Alabama more times than Alabama would beat them, fair enough. I disagree.