• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: The AAC will be aggressive in pursuit of Big 12 leftovers

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The AAC will be aggressive in pursuit of Big 12 leftovers

Joseph Duarte, Staff writer

Back in summer 2016, schools from the so-called Group of Five lined up to make elaborate pitches to join the Big 12.

For three months, the University of Houston was among the reported favorites, along with Cincinnati, to join the Big 12. It would have been a monumental moment for Houston, which has long desired a seat at college football’s table of power brokers — and the exposure and lucrative payout that come with it.

It all turned out to be a three-month charade. The Big 12 eventually decided against expansion. Tilman Fertitta, UH’s deep-pocket board of regent chairman, blasted the process, calling it “a total sham” … “PR play” … “biggest ramrod, railroad, ever.”

Read more at https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...-aggressive-in-pursuit-of-Big-12-16337548.php

Paint It Purple

Why would big 12 schools go to the AAC? Why wouldn't the AAC schools join the big 12 to get a better pay day for a couple years?
ACC and Big 12 in whatever form or fashion it might take shape, makes far more sense to me that PAC12/Big12. For one, take recruiting. If half of TCU games are played in PSTime, I can just imagine the negative recruiting from that standpoint alone.

Froglaw

Dream On!

photo-of-aerosmith-and-joe-perry-and-tom-hamilton-and-steven-tyler-picture-id85514814

Longhorn from Aledo

The AAC is going to have a seat at the playoff. It won't be that bad. At least Tech, Baylor, OSU and prolly KState will be there. I would imagine ISU as well. It will probably be an 18 team conference.

Fort Frog

I think the entire thing should be based on the quality of away locations for visiting fans (TCU trips).

Why not?
I’m in the acceptance stage already. Having gone through all this I since the mid 90s helps. Other schools fans are going to go through severe withdrawals. Not being able to suck on UTs and OUs financial Brilesboobs will be difficult for them. I think we can be fine. Not the money the Premadona schools will be making but we’ll be fine. Texas Tech, Oklahoma state, TCU,SMU,Baylor,Houston as the Southwest division. K State, Iowa State, Memphis, Cincinnati. South Florida, Central Florida in the southeast division. Thats my vision. Anyway it’s all up in the air how it works out. GO FROGS!

ECM

Not sure how valuable they are in the grand scheme of things but I think the Big 12 NCAA tournament credits stay with them even if schools leave, which would make AAC teams joining B12 presumably more likely than the other way around

TCUdirtbag

Yeah, this attempted “flex” by the American is laughable. The Big 12 would still have its “autonomy 5” status, Sugar Bowl tie-in, etc. At least for now. So lol.

Unrelated, but IMO this whole thing is headed the way of the Big East. Other power conferences will take their time. In the meantime we’ll probably invite some spares. Then, in 6 months to a year when the other power conferences start to move, the Big 12 will fall apart and lost all its contracts.

HG73

I don't think any P5 conference takes any of the 8 Orphans. Between academics (4) and inevitable probation (2) that just leaves TCU and ISU. The ACC is still holding out for ND and the PAC didn't get to where they are today by being smart.

Orphans best bet is to hang together, at least long enough to collect the exit fees from bevo and sooner and use the March Madness credits.

Average per game attendance for the Orphans is higher than PAC AND ACC. That has to translate to TV eyeballs so the Orphans should get a decent TV deal. Certainly something around what the PAC and ACC are getting. Obviously much more than the AAC.

Klaw

A seat at the playoff according to who?

There will be no 12 team playoff - mark my words.

i disagree. Schools need money especially after Covid plus SEC and Big 10 will have multiple teams every year in the 12- team playoff which also equates to more money.

Realignment is all about money

Endless Purple

I don't understand the drive from some about the AAC trying to raid the Big 12 teams if the Big 12 is still viable. Even without a Sugar Bowl tie in, without a P5 designation, the AAC still has bottom teams that are way below the bottom of the Big 12 teams that would bring down any long term TV contract values. Now is the chance for good AAC teams to move up from the AAC bottom.

Big 12 bottom teams are no where near the AAC bottom teams. Thus more TV money in long term discussions.

(All based on the idea the Big 12 remaining team stay intact. At least 6 of them)

Eight

I don't understand the drive from some about the AAC trying to raid the Big 12 teams if the Big 12 is still viable. Even without a Sugar Bowl tie in, without a P5 designation, the AAC still has bottom teams that are way below the bottom of the Big 12 teams that would bring down any long term TV contract values. Now is the chance for good AAC teams to move up from the AAC bottom.

Big 12 bottom teams are no where near the AAC bottom teams. Thus more TV money in long term discussions.

(All based on the idea the Big 12 remaining team stay intact. At least 6 of them)

if the next version of the big 12 already includes 3 texas teams there is no reason to add more texas teams.

saturating the state has proven to be a bad thing in the swc and the big 12

asleep003

if the next version of the big 12 already includes 3 texas teams there is no reason to add more texas teams.

Surely the Little 8 goes after the academies way before any AAC kind of scenario.