• The KillerFrogs

Hoot! Here it is! -- New Big XII television contract

froginaustin

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205135785

The Big 12 Conference and Fox Sports Media Group have reached a 13-year agreement for exclusive cable rights to 40 football games per season, as well as to a variety of Olympic sports events and Conference championships.

The new pact, which takes effect with the 2012 football season, grants Fox Sports the exclusive cable rights to a minimum of 40 regular-season Big 12 football games-nearly double the number under its current agreement. Many of the telecasts will be distributed on FSN, which reaches over 85 million homes through two dozen owned and affiliated networks. Several other games will also be scheduled on FX, one of the most-watched cable networks in the country, now available in more than 99 million households, as part of its recently announced new college football game of the week. Fox also has similar cable exclusivity for a minimum of 40 Olympic sports events, including Conference championship events and women's basketball. The agreement also includes comprehensive multimedia rights to allow Fox to maximize online, mobile, and wireless opportunities for its Big 12 content.

. . ..

Cougar/Frog

Where are the numbers? I sure don't see any.

And I guess A&M will finally get more than 4-6 games on TV every year, but I really wonder where anyone will see the games...... I guess Tech v. A&M will be available on the A&M website......

I guess I am just a wee bit unimpressed......

"What are the financial details?
Under terms of the agreement, that is confidential. Of course the revenue stream is important, but there is so much more to this arrangement than finances. FOX has made a long-term investment in our future and believes the Big 12 can help its business grow. To that end, they have assured us they will promote college football like they have never promoted it before, and enhance the viewer experience with new and creative production elements. With the revenue boost this agreement provides, coupled with our existing ABC/ESPN contract, the Conference will generate per member revenue at the highest levels of college athletics."

The highest levels is vague. Its not "the highest level", but at the highest levels

Still, it does say it is a "revenue boost", but not the amount. Where is this 350% coming from? If that's per total value of the contract and not per year, then each school is probably not pulling 350% more money per year.

Mike Brooks

Once again a UT fan crowing about money versus win/loss. And some wonder why the richest school in the country has one title in 40 years and only three conference titles in 17. With out Mack cheerleading I wonder how many BCS games they would have gone to? One? maybe two?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
From various sources, the revenue from this new contract pays several times as much as the previous contract: $90 mil per season.

Revenue breakdown if this is inked:

ABC/ESPN- $60 mil/season
FOX- $90 mil/season

Total: $150 millon, divided 10 ways, unequally.

This does not even count the Championship Game or Bowl payouts.

We'll see if this actually pans out...

From various sources, the revenue from this new contract pays several times as much as the previous contract: $90 mil per season.

ABC/ESPN- $60 mil/season
FOX- $90 mil/season

$15M a year is nothing to sneeze at.

Big Frog II

ABC/ESPN- $60 mil/season
FOX- $90 mil/season

It will be divided accordingly:

Texas-$149 million
Peons-$1 million

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being

ABC/ESPN- $60 mil/season
FOX- $90 mil/season

The ESPN deal is only $480 million, or $48 million a year.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-sports/2011/04/13/big-12-fox-reach-cable-rights-deal-worth-than-1-billion/

So the combined deals pay the Big 12-2 $138 million a year, or just slightly more than the ACC got (on a per year, per team basis). And, as you said, the Big 12-2 distributes Tv money unevely, so it remains to be seen how happy the Smaller 7 are going to be in the future as UT, A&m and OU cash in, since those 3 were supposedly promised 20 million a year (reports differ). If true, that would leave 10-11 million a year for the other 7.

cdsfrog

ABC/ESPN- $60 mil/season
FOX- $90 mil/season

They dont have a conference championship game anymore I thought. Do you mean BCS championship game?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
They dont have a conference championship game anymore I thought. Do you mean BCS championship game?

Good point!

I was just collating details from a couple of different articles and "Championship Game" was one of the metrics. I had smooth forgotten that Mack Daddy wanted it gone, so now it is. I guess the guy at ESPN did too...

Mike Brooks

http://tucsoncitizen...than-1-billion/

So the combined deals pay the Big 12-2 $138 million a year, or just slightly more than the ACC got (on a per year, per team basis). And, as you said, the Big 12-2 distributes Tv money unevely, so it remains to be seen how happy the Smaller 7 are going to be in the future as UT, A&m and OU cash in, since those 3 were supposedly promised 20 million a year (reports differ). If true, that would leave 10-11 million a year for the other 7.
Tech will be screaming like a banshee making half of aggie. They have owned them for most of a decade yet make half? What a silly Conference.

jstrat

http://tucsoncitizen...than-1-billion/

ESPN deal through 2015. Remember this Fox deal was for 2nd tier rights, when ESPN re-negotiates, they will have to top Fox's deal to maintain first deal. Big 12 will be around the highest paid conference in 2015 until Big 10 and SEC renegotiate.

Also, this deal doesn't include Bowl Games or the NCAA Tournament.

ESPN deal right now is 60mm, it's not 10 full years

And, as you said, the Big 12-2 distributes Tv money unevely, so it remains to be seen how happy the Smaller 7 are going to be in the future as UT, A&m and OU cash in, since those 3 were supposedly promised 20 million a year (reports differ). If true, that would leave 10-11 million a year for the other 7.
So, after UT gets the money from the Longhorn network, they'll be getting about $35 million a year, while Kansas, KState and Mizzou get about $10-$11 million.

They are fools if they don't call the BE.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
ESPN deal through 2015. Remember this Fox deal was for 2nd tier rights, when ESPN re-negotiates, they will have to top Fox's deal to maintain first deal. Big 12 will be around the highest paid conference in 2015 until Big 10 and SEC renegotiate.

Also, this deal doesn't include Bowl Games or the NCAA Tournament.

Thru 2015-2016. Five years from now - and the Pac 12 and Big East come next. And they don't have to 'top' this Fox deal, it'll be bid upon just like this one was - and thus far Fox hasn't shown any interest in basketball or OTA football (although that may change). Comcast/NBC may be a bigger player, however.

And the fact that it doesn't include bowls or tournament money isn't news.

Cougar/Frog

So, after UT gets the money from the Longhorn network, they'll be getting about $35 million a year, while Kansas, KState and Mizzou get about $10-$11 million.

They are fools if they don't call the BE.

Exactly. What are the "institutional rights" of K State football worth?

The only reason the numbers are "confidential" is because the Big 12 does not want everyone else to know how little they really got out of the deal..... and the weak puppy 6 (Iowa St, Mizzo, KU, K St, Tech, and Baylor) don't want everyone to know exactly how little they are willing to accept to be OU's and UT's fat little girlfriends.....

Exactly. What are the "institutional rights" of K State football worth?

The only reason the numbers are "confidential" is because the Big 12 does not want everyone else to know how little they really got out of the deal..... and the weak puppy 6 (Iowa St, Mizzo, KU, K St, Tech, and Baylor) don't want everyone to know exactly how little they are willing to accept to be OU's and UT's fat little girlfriends.....
Not only is it embarrassing for those schools, they are willingly accepting a competitive disadvantage.

They're still making more than the Big East, which is why they won't go there.
I would rather my school be in a conference that had a level playing field where we could win a conf championship every now and then. That would be worth more than those few extra million a year over the long haul. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the alums of those schools started thinking that way.

AEAfrog

They're still making more than the Big East, which is why they won't go there.

They could make more than that in a Big East with a renegotiated TV contract. The Big East's current payout is low but a lot of that has to do with the age of the contract. It will go up significantly and will go up even higher if it acquires the territories possessed by the Big 12 schools.