• The KillerFrogs

Hey basketball band: What's with the stuffed deer?

Deep Purple

The San Diego friend of a colleague attended the SDSU game and asked about the stuffed deer the basketball band displays and sometimes passes around during the games. What's up with that?

We promised to email him the story.

Stiff Arm Frog

1269190587_gentlemen-broncos-battle-stag.gif

tumblr_lmlf2uUzJI1qd4jmyo1_500.gif

stell91

My roommate and I, who are both in the basketball band, were walking to my car one day and we found this inflatable deer (which I'm pretty sure was a hunting decoy) in the parking spot next to my car. It was just such a random weird thing to find in a parking space, so we took it home with us and then brought it to the basketball game later that night. We thought it was just gonna be a stupid gag that might get a few cheap laughs but the director and the rest of the band thought it was pretty funny so they took it and put it in the storage closet and it's been at all the games since. It's gotten some great looks from visiting fans.

Planks

I believe the purpose is to hopefully distract the opposing player and get them out of "the zone" when they are shooting free throws.

Here is a video of Utah State's "distraction", which seems to work pretty well for them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17A_ljv2uz8