• The KillerFrogs

Has Marinatto and Neinas switch places

TCU was an obvious choice for the Big 12, a no brainer reactiion in losing A&M.

Ever since TCU made the move to the Big 12 it seems from an outside perspective that Big 12 is being reactive now and just waiting on Missouri. Everytime some commissioner waits then something bad happens to that conference. Big East however now looks like its making smart proactive moves to keep relevant - Marinatto: "Not going to pause during Missouri situation." Marinatto "It's our commitment to meet the standards to meet our BCS qualifications." Marinatto: "(Big East) championship game is ultimately where we would like to go"

When Navy or Air Force join, $10M fee is effective immediately. Marinatto: "Just one team needs to agree and exit fee agrees." That means Navy or Air Force on board, fee goes to $10M.

"Notre Dame worked side by side w/other schools as we've tried to figure out way thru all of this" - maybe so much for Notre Dame too (hoping it was a long shot possibility).

Marinatto: "If it came to that: 14-football teams if to our membership's advantage." Pitt & Syracuse stuck in Big East til June 30, 2014

Looking forward to see how Big 12 responds to stay a top conference as well. Lets see how good this Chuck Neinas really is.

Froggle Rock

I'm with you in that I think the big 12 should continue to be proactive, but as for Marinatto's sudden change of tune, how is it not being reactive? He's reacting to losing three schools from the conference by going after other schools to save his butt.

Proactive would have been inviting Boise State, Air Force and Central Florida/Navy to get to 12 BEFORE Pitt, Cuse and TCU left.

Limey Frog

I said before the Bevo Nine added TCU that they needed to change the national narrative regarding the league. In the days after adding TCU the news was more positive and the sense was that the Bevo Ten would survive and thrive. The league should not let that momentum slip. Adding Louisville, WVU, and BYU/Cincinnati would deflect all speculation of the league's viability, longevity, and entitlement.

I suspect that Neinas knows this and will push a move through in rapid order following the meeting of Mizzou's board on Thursday. But I am worried that UT's commitment to the league does not extend any father than its mere survival. I fear that Dodds will block any move beyond ten members. He seems only to want to escape the risk of an upset in a potential championship game, and presumably to keep the number of fellow-members he has to bully into submission to a minimum.

EastTXFrog

The Big East will add Air Force, Navy, UCF, SMU, and Houston. To counter those great teams, the Big 12 should go after Rice, UTEP, University of North Texas, and Texas State....

BUGrad95

The big question is how do you get UT to change from looking out only for UT to look at what is good for the conference? If it comes down to it, UT could get outvoted to move to 12. I'm still under the impression Neinas will move quickly once Mizzou makes its intentions known. Ultimately, what's good for the conference is good for UT since they don't have as many options as they thought they did. They need to get Notre Dame off the brain. It's not going to happen.

fanatical frog

I said before the Bevo Nine added TCU that they needed to change the national narrative regarding the league. In the days after adding TCU the news was more positive and the sense was that the Bevo Ten would survive and thrive. The league should not let that momentum slip. Adding Louisville, WVU, and BYU/Cincinnati would deflect all speculation of the league's viability, longevity, and entitlement.

I suspect that Neinas knows this and will push a move through in rapid order following the meeting of Mizzou's board on Thursday. But I am worried that UT's commitment to the league does not extend any father than its mere survival. I fear that Dodds will block any move beyond ten members. He seems only to want to escape the risk of an upset in a potential championship game, and presumably to keep the number of fellow-members he has to bully into submission to a minimum.

How ? Does he have veto power ? How many votes does each school get? Not trying to be a wise guy but this is something I've never understood.

Granted, Texas has some leverage at their disposal but the little six of the Conference all have an opportunity to act on their own behalf.

back_in_black

Moderators
The Big 12 is in a position where they can sit and wait, the Big East is not. So what if they add a bunch of teams nobody else wants? The Big 12 can still come in and poach which ever school(s) they want (UL or WVU).

Apples and oranges.

Stiff Arm Frog

Neinas is doing the right thing in waiting for Missouri. The Big12 target schools aren't going anywhere and they want to know how many schools they have on board already before they start making promises to others. Nothing wrong with waiting for all the facts to come in before you make a move.

Marinato, on the other hand, is doing the idiotic thing. On the first count he waited for the situation to blow up in his face before making a move, and now he's panicking and grabbing everything in sight without any real consideration of long-term stability. By next week the Big East could have:

-7 full members
-7 basketball-only members
-3 football-only members
-1 lacrosse-only member (Loyola)
-1 Notre Dame, with its own network and one foot out the door.

Does that sound like a secure long-term institution to you?

TCU-Vegan

Does anyone else have the creeping feeing that SMU goes to the Big East, the conference retains its auto bid, and the ponies wind up having more BCS success than we do in the B12? I think I'd personally rather have them in the B12 with us than watch their sorry [Rod Gilmore]e$ go to the Fiesta...

stell91

Does anyone else have the creeping feeing that SMU goes to the Big East, the conference retains its auto bid, and the ponies wind up having more BCS success than we do in the B12?

This worries me too but I don't see it happening. June Jones is not a Gary Patterson or Chris Petersen. He's not going to build a program and make SMU his home. He's like a less successful version of Urban Meyer - he's going to build up SMU and then leave for a school with a more prestigious football pedigree. Not to mention that SMU football doesn't have NEARLY the amount of support in their administration, fan base, or the local community that TCU does.

TCU-Vegan

This worries me too but I don't see it happening. June Jones is not a Gary Patterson or Chris Petersen. He's not going to build a program and make SMU his home. He's like a less successful version of Urban Meyer - he's going to build up SMU and then leave for a school with a more prestigious football pedigree. Not to mention that SMU football doesn't have NEARLY the amount of support in their administration, fan base, or the local community that TCU does.

I hope you are right Werefrog. I was in Hawaii when they were trying to keep Jones there. I do believe we have someone unusual with Patterson. It'll be interesting how this all plays out but the ramifications will be with us for years...

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I'm just wondering when the Big 12 was proactive.

The changes they made to their structure (revenue sharing, grant of rights) and the addition of TCU were a reaction to a) A&M to the SEC and b) OU, UT, et al, making goo-goo eyes at the Pac 12.

helcap

Does anyone else have the creeping feeing that SMU goes to the Big East, the conference retains its auto bid, and the ponies wind up having more BCS success than we do in the B12? I think I'd personally rather have them in the B12 with us than watch their sorry [Rod Gilmore]e$ go to the Fiesta...

If the Big East holds to past form, SMU going to the say Fiesta Bowl and getting pounded like UConn was last time by Oklahoma is really not a success. Speaking of June Jone's , did his Hawaii team enhance their national prestige by going to the Sugar Bowl in 2008 and getting run off the field by Georgia . Sure their fans can say , hey at least we were there . But outside of your fan base all l it does cause people to question why were you there in the first place. And if they are very competitive and possibly even win, then more power to them. They deserved to be there.

Plus if West Virginia stays and Boise moves to the Big East, I am not worried about SMU winning it too often

OmniscienceFrog

Does anyone else have the creeping feeing that SMU goes to the Big East, the conference retains its auto bid, and the ponies wind up having more BCS success than we do in the B12?

Might feel that way about Boise St, but not SMU. If Boise St goes to the Big East and they retain their auto-bid, as long as Peterson stays there you will see Boise St in the BSC just about every year. It will be another late 90's Florida St. domination of the ACC type thing. SMU is not going to a BSC game anytime soon.

Waccy Frog

Mizzou will do what it's going to do, then the Big 12 will make its next move. If they want Big East schools, they will get them regardless of any new agreements. Just like if the ACC calls tomorrow, Rutgers and UCONN are gone. In this day and age, no one will let $5 million or $10 million keep them from moving conferences. The difference between one year of Big 12 revenue vs. one year of Big East revenue will more than make up for exit fees. Remember, the Aggies face losing up to $30mm to leave the Big 12, although that will be (or already had been) negotiated down.

DelFrog

Not sure that would happen, but I'm certainly willing to risk it in order to see Big 12 opponents during the regular season as opposed to what's left of an already lackluster Big East conference.