• The KillerFrogs

Grambling NOT hiring Art Briles as OC

geefrogs

Robert Redford Nodding GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Virginia Frog

Please tell me it is inaccurate because Bertier didn’t really get paralyzed and then die.
Gerry died in 1981 in a single car accident on a windy country road near Charlottesville (120 mi away.)

I did not know him at all though my brother was an officer in a HS service organization with him. I did know Julius Campbell quite well (I was also a DE, he strong-side (brawn, strength), me weak-side (height, speed) - I didn't start that year) and we beat up on each other a lot in the '72 season. He passed a few years ago, should have but didn't go to the funeral. He was a real jokester and between him and Boone (the "good" one as I described earlier) it was like going to a comedy show every practice. (Gerry & Julius, their friendship in the movie was real. No one could dislike Julius!)

Bertier's injury, and in a sense it was so dramatic it should have been in the film, occurred the night of the Fall Banquet - I believe Wed night after the Championship. On his way home, his car hit a fire hydrant, so another solo accident. The film incorrectly portrays that the accident proceeded the game and was a source of motivation for the team.

Bertier was a top-notch wheelchair athlete in his short life has been given a lot of credit for advancements in para athletics and laws for wheelchair access around the country. (Coach Yoast in 2007 told me of his own involvement in training Gerry for these competitions.) His real legacy greatly exceeds all his football recognition and the bad fate that struck him.

In later years, I'd occasionally see him around town in his wheelchair but never knew what to say to him, in essence I was a stranger. His funeral was a big deal at a church several of my friends attended. I didn't go.

Last edited:

tcudoc

Gerry died in 1981 in a single car accident on a windy country road near Charlottesville (120 mi away.)

I did not know him at all though my brother was an officer in a HS service organization with him. I did know Julius Campbell quite well (I was also a DE, he strong-side (brawn, strength), me weak-side (height, speed) - I didn't start that year) and we beat up on each other a lot in the '72 season. He passed a few years ago, should have but didn't go to the funeral. He was a real jokester and between him and Boone (the "good" one as I described earlier) it was like going to a comedy show every practice. (Gerry & Julius, their friendship in the movie was real. No one could dislike Julius!)

Bertier's injury, and in a sense it was so dramatic it should have been in the film, occurred the night of the Fall Banquet - I believe Wed night after the Championship. On his way home, his car hit a fire hydrant, so another solo accident. The film incorrectly portrays that the accident proceeded the game and was a source of motivation for the team.

Bertier was a top-notch wheelchair athlete in his short life has been given a lot of credit for advancements in para athletics and laws for wheelchair access around the country. (Coach Yoast in 2007 told me of his own involvement in training Gerry for these competitions.) His real legacy greatly exceeds all his football recognition and the bad fate that struck him.

In later years, I'd occasionally see him around town in his wheelchair but never knew what to say to him, in essence I was a stranger. His funeral was a big deal at a church several of my friends attended. I didn't go.
Thanks for sharing.

G

Ghost of Tobys Business College

Art might as well become a mercenary and head east to the "Russian Front."

For him, coaching football is over (where there are impressionable young men - HS, college and pee wee), unless some 2nd tier pro league would want him. Adios Amigo!
He's been coaching in Italy (the country) some. Even saw a report from December that they were bringing him back.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Whitlock has evidently drank from the same Kool-Aid proffered by Warden Art and his sleazy attorney that Clay Travis did. Drops my opinion of him in just the same way it did Travis. How can one be so gullible as to believe a con-man? Especially when he rolls into the "I'm a religious man" (Or some variation thereof) schtick.

While I understand that Radio, Podcasting, etc. is a contest for eyes/ears/clicks, there are some areas of ground well trodden, which hold no surprises.

Eight

Whitlock has evidently drank from the same Kool-Aid proffered by Warden Art and his sleazy attorney that Clay Travis did. Drops my opinion of him in just the same way it did Travis. How can one be so gullible as to believe a con-man? Especially when he rolls into the "I'm a religious man" (Or some variation thereof) schtick.

While I understand that Radio, Podcasting, etc. is a contest for eyes/ears/clicks, there are some areas of ground well trodden, which hold no surprises.

from the looks of whitlock there isn't too much he hasn't eaten or drank

PurplFrawg

Administrator
On a related note:

WNBA All-Star Brittney Griner was arrested in Russia last month at a Moscow airport after a search of her luggage revealed vape cartridges.

The Russian Customs Service said Saturday that the cartridges were identified as containing oil derived from cannabis, which could carry a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison. The customs service identified the person arrested as a player for the U.S. women's team and did not specify the date of her arrest. Russian media reported the player was Griner, and her agent did not dispute those reports.