• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Walters To Play Goalkeeper In Iceland

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/051711aaa.html

Walters To Play Goalkeeper In Iceland

The former Frog standout will begin her professional career overseas Wednesday

FORT WORTH, Texas – After playing four years between the pipes for TCU, former Horned Frog goalkeeper Kelsey Walters has accepted the opportunity to begin her postgraduate career in Iceland.

Walters will take her talents to the Iceland capital of Reykjavík with the chance to suit up for íþróttafélag reykjavikur, which translates to “Reykjavik Athletic” and also known as ÍR. Along with the chance to play, Walters also received housing and a job with the club. She is the only American and lone keeper listed on the current roster, although many of her teammates have played in tournaments on United States’ soil. The team will play a match in a single-elimination tournament on Wednesday before league play begins Sunday.

“Coach [Dan] Abdalla had contacted a different team in Iceland for me to play on, but they already had a goalkeeper,” Walters said. “The coach of that team sent my information to ÍR and they gave me a chance to step in goal for them.”

Walters was part of a 2011 senior class to win 38 games, play in three-straight conference tournaments and become the first class in program history to leave TCU with a winning record. During the past four years, the group not only helped TCU break nearly every program record, but also claimed the Frogs’ best-ever national ranking of No. 26 in 2009.

The Oklahoma City, Okla., product holds four of the top seven goals against averages marks in TCU history, highlighted by a program-best 0.84 output in 2008. Her 1.32 clip in four years tops the Horned Frogs’ all-time list. Walters’ registered the most minutes in goal (6,054) than any other TCU goalkeeper. She ranks third all-time for TCU in career saves (303) and shutouts (11).

The Mountain West Conference honored Walters on four occasions during her career as the Defensive Player of the Week, while also handing the Frogs’ goalkeeper three academic all-conference accolades. She was an ESPN the Magazine Academic All-District selection in 2008.