• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: TCU at Oklahoma State preview

CountryFrog

Maybe because Miller is a 48% FT shooter and Coles is 90% and you are anticipating them to intentionally foul.
Maybe that was Dixon's reasoning but that's why you have 4 perimeter players on the floor! It's not like they were drawing up a play to get it in Coles hands. If you're going to plant a guy under the basket then I don't know how you can argue that FT% was the determining factor in the decision.

Plus, Muller didn't play at all for the final 2-3 minutes while we were giving up 2nd and 3rd shots over and over on the defensive end. So even if you decide you don't want him in at the very end then I still need an explanation for why he wasn't out there at all in the last few minutes.

froglash88

Farabello on the floor means no miller or peavy...and no scoring, steals, rebounding, or defense, but plenty of turnovers. Hitting a couple of shots in the first half gave cjd more reason to play his guy...and we left our athletes on the bench rather than pull away.
Farabello needed to be on the floor for his free throw shooting down the stretch. A crappy press offense killed us. Cork need to go up strong for a definite basket or kick it back out and we would have been on the line. Not sure how you don’t use your last time out after getting ball to half court. That one was the difference between making the tournament or not. Going to be tough now. Hopefully we pull off a few surprises.

Froggy Style

-11 in turnovers and shot 35% from the field. Hard to believe we even had a chance to win. And yet we should've won the game.

Why does it feel like it's better to be the team that's losing by 6 with a minute left than the team that's winning by 6?
Because when behind, we have our best players in the game trying to win, rather than bench players trying not to do what they do best...turnover the ball.

Froggy Style

Farabello needed to be on the floor for his free throw shooting down the stretch. A crappy press offense killed us. Cork need to go up strong for a definite basket or kick it back out and we would have been on the line. Not sure how you don’t use your last time out after getting ball to half court. That one was the difference between making the tournament or not. Going to be tough now. Hopefully we pull off a few surprises.
That would make sense if they were trying to foul us. They weren't...they were just stealing the ball while we tried to run out the clock rather than let a Miller or Peavy score or play defense.

hometown frog

Totally agree. Farabello was worthless the last two minutes. Not sure why he was in. He couldn't dribble, stood like a statue, could move the ball find anyone open. I guess missed his better part but I don't see his work, especially late
He’s in late because he’s your best FT shooter at a 90+% clip. He absolutely has to be in in that last 1:30. (Now before that…..)

CountryFrog

Because when behind, we have our best players in the game trying to win, rather than bench players trying not to do what they do best...turnover the ball.
Our very best player was out there and finished 2-15 with 4 turnovers. The other 18 turnovers were distributed pretty evenly amongst everyone else. So unfortunately I don't think it's quite as simple as that even though I definitely don't agree with who all we had out there the last few minutes.

Froggy Style

Our very best player was out there and finished 2-15 with 4 turnovers. The other 18 turnovers eye distributed pretty evenly amongst everyone else. So unfortunately I don't think it's quite as simple as that even though I definitely don't agree with who all we had out there the last few minutes.
It is clear that when FF is out there, we immediately go from a team that can switch on defense at all 5 positions to a team that immediately gets in a mismatch when FF gets picked. It's not just that he is turning over the ball with bad passes, stepping out of bounds, etc as the "smart player", he's just weak as hell on defense and is stealing a spot from guys like Miller or Peavy who get offensive boards...which is how we score...and why we stopped scoring at the end of the game.

CountryFrog

It is clear that when FF is out there, we immediately go from a team that can switch on defense at all 5 positions to a team that immediately gets in a mismatch when FF gets picked. It's not just that he is turning over the ball with bad passes, stepping out of bounds, etc as the "smart player", he's just weak as hell on defense and is stealing a spot from guys like Miller or Peavy who get offensive boards...which is how we score...and why we stopped scoring at the end of the game.
I'm certainly not going to argue on behalf of FF and his defensive prowess. I would say that I understand why he's in the game at the end because he's a guard who shoots 90% from the line. You'd just rather have him passing to Miles or Baugh right there instead of trying to dribble through the trap.

I guess for me I'm not that mad about him being on the floor and at the same time if he was on the bench then I certainly wouldn't be upset about that either. Ultimately the frogs have a lack of options at the guard position and that's the bigger problem in a situation where you want as many ball handlers who are also good FT shooters on the floor as you can get.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Probably because that was one of the most frustrating collapses I think I've ever seen from a TCU basketball team. Do you have a ton of positive takeaways from that game?
None. I agree with criticism but not the despair

Tomorrow I might have a couple of positives but yes overall this is a tough and self inflicted loss for the Frogs

Edit: I really don’t see you as being in the ledge over this anyway

hometown frog

I agree w his defensive limitations, but he’s got a 2.2 assist to turnover ratio and that’s gone way down the last 3 games. (5 of his 8 total TOs have been in the last 3 games.) Dude doesn’t turn it over on average. He’s just streaky and limited on D.

Virginia Frog

TCU lost to a good team at their place by one

But smart basketball would have won the game
JD's coaching record at TCU:
a) beat the early season cremepuffs
b) lose 50% or so of the winable in-con games by poor decisions or lesser-than execution
c) get creamed by the big boys (KU,BU,UT,ISU)
d) at the end of the year (before hire/fire/contract decisions are made): "we were better than .500 so we were good, right."
And then repeat the following season.

y2kFrog

It almost looked like we were trying to get it to FF so that he would be the one fouled. Miles was open two possessions in a row and they didn’t inbound to him.

CountryFrog

None. I agree with criticism but not the despair

Tomorrow I might have a couple of positives but yes overall this is a tough and self inflicted loss for the Frogs

Edit: I really don’t see you as being in the ledge over this anyway
I just didn't feel like much of the reaction to this game was over the top very much considering both the circumstances of this individual game and the context of the last several seasons of continually coming up short. I totally understand everyone who was pissed off even if some went beyond the realms of sanity for just a bit.

fff91

Watching the last few minutes, my primary thought was someone on the coaching staff needs to tell our players that the rules permit you to dribble with your left hand and go left.