• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Soccer Stays Perfect, Topples Ohio State

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2021/9/12/womens-soccer-tcu-stays-perfect-topples-ohio-state.aspx

GoFrogs: TCU Stays Perfect, Topples Ohio State

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Lauren Memoly and Messiah Bright each tallied two goals as No. 6 TCU scored four times in the final 25 minutes of the match to hand Ohio State a 4-1 loss Sunday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

The Rundown
A very uneventful match turned into a track meet in the final 25 minutes as the teams combined to score five goals. Ohio State had the early momentum in the second half, forcing three early saves from Lauren Kellett.

TCU turned the tides in the 66th minute as it struck for the match's first tally. Camryn Lancaster fed a cross right to the doorstep of the goal. Skylar Heinrich was able to get the ball over to a wide open Lauren Memoly for the 1-0 lead.

Just under three minutes later, Lancaster and Memoly teamed up again to make it a 2-0 game. Lancaster set a cross right to the foot of Memoly who's shot just eluded the diving Buckeye keeper. Forty seconds later, Ohio State cut the lead in half on an Emaly Vatne goal.

Ohio State had a couple chances to get the game knotted at two, but Kellett came up with two saves to keep the lead intact.

The Frogs got the insurance goal they were looking for in the 84th minute. Olivia Hasler found Messiah Bright inside the 18. After Bright's initial shot was saved, she cleaned up the rebound and buried it in the empty net. Just under two minutes later, Brenna Brosam fed a through ball that Bright corralled. She went one on one with the keeper and buried it for her second of the game.

Stat of the Game
27 –
Messiah Bright recorded her first multi-goal match of the season and the fourth time in her career. She now has 27 goals in her career, moving her into a tie for second all-time with Michelle Prokof (2013-16) and Lizzy Karoly (2006-09).

Quotes of the Game
Head Coach Eric Bell

On the game:
"I thought Ohio State was really organized in first half. They made it hard for us, but I could tell they started fatiguing at the end of the half. That allowed us to create more gaps and spaces. We were able to exploit the back line. We are talented and created chances that we were then able to finish. I'm pleased with the adjustments we made in the second half. The players were able to put them to use and gave us a chance to win."

On the freshmen:
"We knew this was going to be a good group top to bottom. I'm happy that they have been able to impact the team the way that they have. The sky is the limit for them. They are playing major minutes and contributing. Very happy for them. I wasn't necessarily expected, but they have taken advantage of their opportunities."

On the road trip:
"It was awesome. I just told the team what we've done the last three games is hard. We played on Sunday, traveled again on Wednesday, played Thursday and got a win, then flew again on Friday, train for a couple days only to play another good team in a tough environment. We came away with good victories. I'm really proud of the group."

Notes
• TCU continues to build on its best start in program history, improving to 7-0.
• TCU wrapped up its three game road trip with a 3-0 record and has now won eight of its last 10 away from home.
• TCU registered double-digit shots for the seventh time this season.
• TCU was outshot for just the second time this season.
Lauren Memoly scored her second and third career goals.
• Memoly registered her first career game-winning goal.
Messiah Bright scored her fourth and fifth goals of the season and now has 27 in her career.
Camryn Lancaster recorded two assists in the game and now has five on the season.
Skylar Heinrich notched her second assist at TCU and the fifth of her career.
Olivia Hasler collected her third assist of the season and her career.
Brenna Brosam tallied he first career point, an assist on Bright's second goal.
Brandi Peterson and Jenna Winebrenner played the entirety of the match.

Up Next
TCU (7-0) returns home for another Top-20 matchup on Thursday night against nationally-ranked Pepperdine. Match time is set for 7 p.m. at Garvey-Rosenthal Soccer Stadium. The game will be televised on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.