• The KillerFrogs

Get out of here with the excuses....

LisaLT

USC's DC has been as bad as Gillespie. Sonny should have made this move after the KSU game. Looks weak IMO or like we are ok with mediocrity. I'd say if we get blown out this coming weekend using the same tired looking defensive scheme, and Sonny doesn't fire JG immediately, Donati should step in.

Frog-in-law1995

USC's DC has been as bad as Gillespie. Sonny should have made this move after the KSU game. Looks weak IMO or like we are ok with mediocrity. I'd say if we get blown out this coming weekend using the same tired looking defensive scheme, and Sonny doesn't fire JG immediately, Donati should step in.
ADs who want to be able to hire good head coaches in the future don’t “step in” to fire coordinators. Hold the head coach accountable after the season, sure.

LisaLT

ADs who want to be able to hire good head coaches in the future don’t “step in” to fire coordinators. Hold the head coach accountable after the season, sure.
"Stepping in" merely implies Donati communicating to Dykes to do the obvious and necessary thing here. He certainly had no issue when it came to Patterson and what needed to be done. In this case, he could very discreetly exert his "influence" over this situation.

Bruce Berry

"Stepping in" merely implies Donati communicating to Dykes to do the obvious and necessary thing here. He certainly had no issue when it came to Patterson and what needed to be done. In this case, he could very discreetly exert his "influence" over this situation.
It would be ridiculous if he had to.

Wexahu

I feel like a lot of times these mid-season coordinator firings are less about actually improving the team and more about appeasing angry fans and boosters.

So unless Dykes believes he already has someone else on staff right now who could do a better job as a coordinator, I don’t see how it actually helps the team this year.
Exactly.

All these examples of guys that got fired mid-season, what good is it really doing those programs? And I've seen many times where an "interim" guy comes in, does "better" and then there's a bunch of pressure to go ahead and hire THAT guy as the permanent replacement, and that ends up backfiring.

Wait until the season is over and then do whatever you have to do for next year.