• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU vs Baylor, Whatever Its Called Now Edition (Nov 18, 2023; 2:30PM)

4 Oaks Frog

Not a Briles fan... Let me say that... But the fact that some of you just give these players (many of whom are getting paid) absolutely no accountability is beyond me.

Drops, bad interceptions, fumbles, getting dominated at the line of scrimmage, getting owned in several games, missing blocks completely, running bad routes, horrible penalties, etc. I don't know of a play caller that would ask for that.

Sure. Some of the calls are infuriating... But there hasn't been a year where that hasn't been the case (except for 2010 and 2014). Remember Schultz? Heck, even last year, many were saying Riley cost us the big 12 championship (no QB sneak for Duggan).

Some of what he's done has been good and well thought out... Others not. Some of it is trying to overcome deficiencies of players that he didn't recruit. To think this team could overcome the loss of 5 NFL guys was probably crazy.
Just because a player gets paid doesn’t make him better. Basic talent and good coaching makes a player better. Should a coach say, “Hey, you are getting paid. You should play better!” Or, should the coach teach the player how to be better? I think the latter is the definition of coaching…

Frog Attack II

Just because a player gets paid doesn’t make him better. Basic talent and good coaching makes a player better. Should a coach say, “Hey, you are getting paid. You should play better!” Or, should the coach teach the player how to be better? I think the latter is the definition of coaching…
So you are saying that our coaches have to coach our players to not get out worked, to give better effort, to not get beat deep in man on man coverage, to not miss field goals, to not make dumb penalties, etc? The player in your mind has NO responsibility? I vividly remember CGP tell us one time that he coached kids all week what plays were coming and they'd still not cover it. I think he was a good coach (till the very end).

The coaching has been suspect at times this year.. I agree... But to think that our players have performed and executed the way that they have been taught (for years by coaching professionals) is delusional. I personally think NIL (and the fact that some are getting paid) is part of a larger issue in these situations... But the fact is, we have not performed across the board in certain games (notably CU, WVU, KSU, ISU, and maybe Tech) and to assume that it's just the coaches fault is just inaccurate.

4 Oaks Frog

First of all, I never said the players have no part in not getting the job done. Of course they do. The coach can’t play the down for the player. However, if the player can’t or won’t do the job, it is the job of the coach to motivate them to perform properly, or to replace them. The next guy up might just be the one that has the ability waiting to be motivated and trained to accomplish the task. If there is a lack of ability for the position, it the responsibility of the coach to go find someone with the ability, and desire to get the job done, and teach them how to do it.
Motivation is coachable. Desire is coachable.
Technique is coachable. If the player has the lack of those three traits, they have no place on the team. Coaches are responsible for their players performance just as are the players themselves. That is what defines team…paid or not.
Secondly, your use of the word delusional seems a bit over the top. Have a good one…

froginmn

I'm not making excuses, I'm pointing out facts.

The guy we had as OC last year who won the Assistant Coach of the Year award has a 5-star QB playing for him this year. This "terrible" TCU offense averages 48 more yards, more than a yard more per play, and the same ppg despite his defense creating 12 less turnovers than last year's assistant of the year.
I don't have a dog in this argument, but are you comparing our offense this year with Clemson's, because Riley was our OC last year?

That seems really weird and extremely irrelevant to anything at all.

And again, I don't care about the point y'all are arguing...

Wexahu

I don't have a dog in this argument, but are you comparing our offense this year with Clemson's, because Riley was our OC last year?

That seems really weird and extremely irrelevant to anything at all.

And again, I don't care about the point y'all are arguing...
Yes, and I understand your point, but I don’t think it’s totally irrelevant.

In any event, by practically any measure KB isn’t doing a poor job, unless your expectations were wildly unrealistic. Could it have been better? Of course. There are things to get frustrated about but it could be A LOT worse.

froginmn

Yes, and I understand your point, but I don’t think it’s totally irrelevant.

In any event, by practically any measure KB isn’t doing a poor job, unless your expectations were wildly unrealistic. Could it have been better? Of course. There are things to get frustrated about but it could be A LOT worse.

Like I say, I don't have a dog in the fight; just think that particular comparison is about as relevant to what Jerry Kill did at NMSU this year.

But, way to go Jerruh!

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Why is Dykes wearing 2023 CFP gear when that's related to 2022? Take it off. It's a new season and your not CEO coach. You're lost on the sideline. Just riding a wave at $5m a year.

FrogBall09

Relative to the entire team’s performance and the personnel, the amount of blame (and attention for that matter) going to the OC is totally out of whack.

Listen to you….if “he” pulls off a miracle. I mean, he hasn’t been great, but he hasn’t been NEAR as bad as what some of you claim. There’s way more to our problems than our OC.

If the defense is average to awful what record should we have with basically all new WRs, running backs, and interior OL? Not to mention either a QB who some think isn’t D1 caliber or a redshirt freshman.
Wow - that sounds so much like a bunch on loser excuses for a team that was in the NC last year

Fine - fire them all starting at the top - it’s obvious they got lucky last year and won’t recover

But saying we should be ok with Briles because other suck worse is just as dumb as when you told me Sonny couldn’t be on
The hot seat after Colorado because he took us to the NC last year…