• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU at Oklahoma, The Last One (Nov 24, 2023; 11AM)

Wexahu

You are wrong!!
Let’s see how GP does going forward.

He was a BAD football coach the last 4 years of his career. I don’t see how that can be denied. Dykes took basically the same team he couldn’t win 6 games with to the NCG.

And that says as much about GP as it does Dykes. Some people here have extremely short memories. We were a joke like we are today several times in GPs latter years.

I posted the following after the Colorado game and now here again—

Gillespie’s prior college experience was a linebacker coach at Tulsa before becoming its coordinator for three seasons. Before that, only at Stephenville, and that is a shallow resume.

That is on Sonny - could he not find a more experienced man to take the DC job, sheesh. Was this a familiar friendly hire - the Stephenville connection. The Gillespie resume makes TCU look junior league, not capable of bringing in the more proven and instead having to take a chance on a familiar wildcard.

I think @Gary's Shirtless Revenge stated Gillespie was not Dykes’ first choice when hired.

Gillespie’s experience
1995–2007Stephenville High School(Assistant)
2008–2014Stephenville High School
2015–2018Tulsa (LB)
2019–2021Tulsa (DC/LB)
2022–presentTCU (DC/LB)

Last edited:

allclearforfrogs

We may get to a tipping point that you never want to be at. Where stopping OU at all becomes a negative thing for TCU. The more OU runs it up, the more it induces change in our program.

Wexahu

I posted the following after the Colorado game and now here again—

Gillespie’s prior college experience was a linebacker coach at Tulsa before becoming its coordinator for three seasons. Before that, only at Stephenville, and that is a shallow resume.

That is on Sonny— could he not find a more experienced man to take the DC job, sheesh. Was this a familiar friendly hire - the Stephenville connection. The Gillespie resume makes TCU look junior league, not capable of bringing in the more proven and instead having to take a chance on a friendly wildcard.

I think @Gary's Shirtless Revenge stated Gillespie was not Dykes’ first choice when hired.

Gillespie
1995–2007Stephenville High School(Assistant)
2008–2014Stephenville High School
2015–2018Tulsa (LB)
2019–2021Tulsa (DC/LB)
2022–presentTCU (DC/LB)
That is not a bad resume. That’s kind of caliber of guy we’re gonna get, a successful G5 coordinator. Unless you want a retread, which people will complain about too.

It doesn’t appear to be working out, but the fact that he was “only” a G5 coordinator for 3 years doesn’t seem like an issue to me.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Against good teams both Gillespie and Patterson's defenses suffered similar fates, both of them were figured out by opposing coordinators, but the major difference is that Patterson could scheme around the adjustments and Gillespie can't. Gillespie had nearly an entire season before Georgia exposed his shortcomings, now everyone knows how to scheme for this 3-3-5. I don't see how a personnel change on D will fix this problem moving forward. And on the offensive side of the ball Briles' idiotic steadfast adherence to the hurry up in the shotgun doesn't force defenses to guess what's coming, allows the LB to pin their ears back, and prevents our D from getting any reasonable amount of rest.

Lots of things need to change, and if these two are allowed another season at TCU Dykes needs to take full responsibility for the results in 2024.

Ranidaphobia

I agree 100%, there also more better D Lineman than O Lineman in today's game. In addition to that, all the dominant O Lineman all go to the same school because they know it takes a whole unit for them to generate individual success. If your QB isn't mobile as one of the non Bamas, Georgia, OStates, and etc then your doing yourself a disservice.

Froggy Style

Yes, and exactly why Henji maybe others, blow by him in spring ball.
Agree, but we need to get away from the GP/Meach era of taking 1 mobile and 1 immobile QB. Agree that the spread option offense means you have to have an true running threat at QB or it doesn't really work...especially in the red zone.

LVH

Against good teams both Gillespie and Patterson's defenses suffered similar fates, both of them were figured out by opposing coordinators, but the major difference is that Patterson could scheme around the adjustments and Gillespie can't. Gillespie had nearly an entire season before Georgia exposed his shortcomings, now everyone knows how to scheme for this 3-3-5. I don't see how a personnel change on D will fix this problem moving forward. And on the offensive side of the ball Briles' idiotic steadfast adherence to the hurry up in the shotgun doesn't force defenses to guess what's coming, allows the LB to pin their ears back, and prevents our D from getting any reasonable amount of rest.

Lots of things need to change, and if these two are allowed another season at TCU Dykes needs to take full responsibility for the results in 2024.
This is accurate

I never doubted GP's Xs and Os abilities. He knew how to call plays and scheme. When his defenses got lit up it was because the other team was just better.

Our current defense sucks because the Xs and Os suck and the scheming sucks.

That is not a bad resume. That’s kind of caliber of guy we’re gonna get, a successful G5 coordinator. Unless you want a retread, which people will complain about too.

It doesn’t appear to be working out, but the fact that he was “only” a G5 coordinator for 3 years doesn’t seem like an issue to me.
His only experience in college ball was at ONE G5 school, Tulsa, with one DC. It is as shallow as it gets - one school experience, at G5!

Find someone who has been around other programs and coaches for a knowledge base of experience.