• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Why coming to TCU was a no brainer for Vanderbilt QB transfer Ken Seals

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Why coming to TCU was a no brainer for Vanderbilt QB transfer Ken Seals

By Steven Johnson

CT_TCUfirstpractice_05.jpg

After dealing with the worst-case scenario when it came to quarterback depth last season, TCU’s football coaches knew they couldn’t go into another season with just two scholarship quarterbacks.

The Horned Frogs took their time to find a quarterback and eventually landed on Vanderbilt transfer Ken Seals, who grew up in nearby Azle. After starting nearly two dozen games in the SEC, the opportunity to be closer to his family was something Seals couldn’t pass up.

“I grew up in the area, I’ve always been a TCU fan my whole life,” Seals said. “I have a pictures of me from middle school wearing TCU shirts and hoodies, I had a TCU lanyard in high school. So it’s always been my hometown school, so when the opportunity came and Coach (Kendal) Briles reached out to me in the portal, I was like ‘Man, that’d be pretty cool to end up back home.’”

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article287099240.html#storylink=cpy

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...-vanderbilt-qb-transfer-ken-seals/ar-BB1kAwBF

Last edited:
From the article—
Landing quarterbacks out of the portal can be a challenge because they are so coveted and what made TCU’s task more difficult was the Horned Frogs wanted to find a quarterback that had experience starting, but one that also wouldn’t disturb the balance of the quarterback room.

The Horned Frogs have their starter in Josh Hoover and Aledo freshman Hauss Hejny seems to be the future. Bringing in the wrong type of quarterback could’ve sent the wrong message.

But with Seals, TCU has a quarterback that can mentor and push the younger quarterbacks while being to start a game if there’s an injury to Hoover. Seals has already shown how valuable he can be with Hoover being ruled out of spring practice as he recovers from surgery to his back.

If Seals wasn’t on the roster it would’ve just been Hejny and walk-ons getting reps this spring which could’ve potentially stunted the growth of both the offense and defense. The clear roles in the quarterback have allowed the trio to become close in a quick amount of time.

“The quarterback room is great, I’m not going to lie we have a really good time in there,” Seals said. “Between us it’s really supportive and competitive. We lift together at the same racks in the weight room, we’re always pushing each other like when we’re spotting each other, we’re cheering each other on.

“I’m not saying we’re benching 300 (pounds) or anything, but sometimes we’re like hey let’s put two plates on there. So it’s good, we push each other. It’s unfortunate Hoov had his surgery, but I’m hoping he makes a quick recovery.”

Toad Jones

I'm like many of you and did not know of the back operation. That raises a lot of questions. Where in the back? Is it bone or muscle related? How much damage and the biggie, how long recoup period.

Sooo sorry for Hoover!!!! It may take him a long time before he comes back, I hope not. Kid has a tremendous up side. Not worried about the family keeping him strong and in the right frame of mind, he comes from a strong family unit!

Seals is a pure God send. Experience galore, smart and a smooth passer! Thank you for him, big fellow!