• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Which Horned Frogs baseball players have made it to MLB? One is a legend of TCU athletics

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Which Horned Frogs baseball players have made it to MLB? One is a legend of TCU athletics

By Micah Pearce

USATSI_20789121.jpg

With over 12 seasons of experience under his belt, San Diego Padres infielder Matt Carpenter, and TCU baseball alum, is still hanging around the big leagues.

He’s among over 40 other former Horned Frogs that donned the uniform of a Major League Baseball team.

Carpenter was drafted from TCU in the 13th round of the 2009 draft by the St. Louis Cardinals.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article276338341.html#storylink=cpy

Also available at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ml...them-is-a-legend-of-tcu-athletics/ar-AA1cuSXs

East Coast

Tier 1
The Dutch Meyer that played in the major leagues was Little Dutch, the famous coach's nephew. (not the famous coach as stated in the article. He would have been 39 in 1937 when Little Dutch made his major league debut).

Lots of other Frogs have played in the majors - some of the more significant not listed in the article:

Pitcher Tyler Alexander is still with the Tigers
Pitcher Jeff Zimmerman had 28 saves for the Rangers in 2001 before blowing out his arm
Catcher Jeff Newman lasted 9 years in the 1970's and 80's
CF - Jim Busby was a gold glove quality OF with over 1300 games played mostly in the 1950's, alas, he was a .260 hitter with little power. IMO the 2nd best Frog major league position player after Carpenter.

These 2 pitchers compete with Jake for the best major league pitcher out of TCU

Tex Carleton was 100-76 mostly in the 1930's, and was in the rotation for the Gas House Gang 1934 Cardinal World Series Champions, and 1935 Cubs pennant winner. He also contributed to 1938 Cubs pennant.

Pete Donahue was 134-118 mostly for the Reds in the 1920's. He won 20 or more games three times and batted .246 for his career. He pitched out for North Side High Scholl before joining TCU. Donahue is credited with being the pitcher that perfected the change up, which he originally learned from TCU coach Kid Nance. For this reason, IMO he's the greatest MLB pitcher ever to come out of TCU, by a hair over Jake.

FrogAbroad

East Coast, thanks for filling in a lot of lost Horned Frog baseball history. I'm certain a goodly number of forum members have never heard some of the names you mention. Not anyone's fault, particularly, it's just one of those things that happens when there's no one to remind us.

"Mem'ries sweet, Comrades true..." We need folks to keep those accomplishments and names remembered.

Boomhauer

The Dutch Meyer that played in the major leagues was Little Dutch, the famous coach's nephew. (not the famous coach as stated in the article. He would have been 39 in 1937 when Little Dutch made his major league debut).

Lots of other Frogs have played in the majors - some of the more significant not listed in the article:

Pitcher Tyler Alexander is still with the Tigers
Pitcher Jeff Zimmerman had 28 saves for the Rangers in 2001 before blowing out his arm
Catcher Jeff Newman lasted 9 years in the 1970's and 80's
CF - Jim Busby was a gold glove quality OF with over 1300 games played mostly in the 1950's, alas, he was a .260 hitter with little power. IMO the 2nd best Frog major league position player after Carpenter.

These 2 pitchers compete with Jake for the best major league pitcher out of TCU

Tex Carleton was 100-76 mostly in the 1930's, and was in the rotation for the Gas House Gang 1934 Cardinal World Series Champions, and 1935 Cubs pennant winner. He also contributed to 1938 Cubs pennant.

Pete Donahue was 134-118 mostly for the Reds in the 1920's. He won 20 or more games three times and batted .246 for his career. He pitched out for North Side High Scholl before joining TCU. Donahue is credited with being the pitcher that perfected the change up, which he originally learned from TCU coach Kid Nance. For this reason, IMO he's the greatest MLB pitcher ever to come out of TCU, by a hair over Jake.

Wow, nicely done.

ShreveFrog

Would like to toss in a couple more Reds. Brandon Williamson makes 3 Frogs currently on the pitching staff (though Lodolo currently on injury list.)
And former infielder Freddie Benavides is coaching for the Reds after batting .250ish for them and couple other teams in 4 big league seasons.

East Coast

Tier 1
@East Coast - Speaking strictly about college, I believe Brayden Taylor is TCU’s best position player ever. What say you?
I looked up a lot of that stuff back when I was stuck at home during COVID.

I didn't really follow the baseball team when in school (I went to a couple of games a year, mostly to chat up coeds sunning themselves in the bleachers)

I agree that Brayden Taylor is the best all round position player since the mid 2000's. He's had 3 solid seasons, while others either didn't field/run well, or had 1 or 2.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Not a baseball guy, but I remember seeing my first TCU pro athlete as I was about to head to TCU as a new freshman. The Giants and Jets were playing an exhibition game in the Yale Bowl and Tommy Crutcher was on the Giants' roster. Another one who passed way too young.