• The KillerFrogs

FWST: This former cheerleader broke barriers at TCU. Now he is coming back to share his story

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

This former cheerleader broke barriers at TCU. Now he is coming back to share his story​

Story by Kamal Morgan, Fort Worth Star-Telegram

iu

Ron Hurdle had just won a spot on TCU’s cheerleading team in 1969 and came back to his dorm room to celebrate with friends.

He knew something was wrong as his roommate answered the phone and quickly hung up. The next time it rang Hurdle answered, and a voice on the other end said: “You will never cheer for me” and “We are coming to get you” with racial slurs mixed in.

Hurdle and a few friends stayed in his dorm room, prepared for people to come for him. They never showed up but it showed how the news of a Black cheerleader was spreading on campus and even outside of it.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...is-coming-back-to-share-his-story/ar-BB1hP7U4

Rana1

I remember on the Parents Day game a lot of the parents were offended by being told what to do by a black guy.

Good for Susan, too. I knew her and she was a bright and friendly gal.
I knew Susan in college also, but it was 30 years after graduation that we reacquainted, married, and have shared the last 22 years together. She's STILL bright and friendly, AND beautiful!

Dr.HFroog

Ron was a cheerleader when I arrived on campus in 1970. As far as I could tell no one thought a thing of it. Of course, our football team did not have a lot to cheer about, but the basketball team went to the NCAA tournament in March of 71. I guess I was too naive to notice the racial strife.

Limp Lizard

Ron was a cheerleader when I arrived on campus in 1970. As far as I could tell no one thought a thing of it. Of course, our football team did not have a lot to cheer about, but the basketball team went to the NCAA tournament in March of 71. I guess I was too naive to notice the racial strife.
Ron's problems were not normally published. But I am sure a lot would have happed that was not made public knowledge. But the Parents' Day game was one thing I remember. I think there was an article or two in the Skiff. Any more public disclosure probably would have been considered "whiney" and would have just fueled the ire of the anti-integration bunch...of which there were still a lot.