• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU faces pivotal two-game stretch to close regular season

Where the heck is Udeh? A turned ankle on a young man shouldn’t take long to heal.

I didn’t see the game, but the West Virginia center made 6 of 18 from the free throw line and still scored 36 points on 15 of 19 shooting, along with 13 rebounds. Sheesh, those shooting numbers and points are crazy stats, a problem.

Last edited:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Now that we have a win, is it cool to talk about officiating?

The B12 refs are so often trash... All the aforementioned overcalling, yet short stretches where you could kneecap someone with a sledgehammer and get away with it. That's what drives me nuts the most. It's so damned inconsistent - game to game, half to half, minute to minute. And I think the reason we keep finding ourselves complaining about the refs here is that our team may do a poorer job of adjusting to it than our conference mates.

That, and also it suuuure does seem that when a team is up big, all of a sudden they get really clamped down on. And not just when we're up. We've had it work in our favor in my opinion. I remember when we started to come back from down big vs UH, and I felt like part of that was getting calls that we weren't getting earlier in the game. I wasn't complaining at all, but I noticed.

It makes it less enjoyable as a fan, to me, although I will still attend and watch every one of em.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

The B12 refs are so often trash... All the aforementioned overcalling, yet short stretches where you could kneecap someone with a sledgehammer and get away with it. That's what drives me nuts the most. It's so damned inconsistent - game to game, half to half, minute to minute. And I think the reason we keep finding ourselves complaining about the refs here is that our team may do a poorer job of adjusting to it than our conference mates.

That, and also it suuuure does seem that when a team is up big, all of a sudden they get really clamped down on. And not just when we're up. We've had it work in our favor in my opinion. I remember when we started to come back from down big vs UH, and I felt like part of that was getting calls that we weren't getting earlier in the game. I wasn't complaining at all, but I noticed.

It makes it less enjoyable as a fan, to me, although I will still attend and watch every one of em.
It is that unaccountable factor that soured me on the NBA, and now College BB. As you note, there is no consistency, no rhyme or reason, just an odd swing one way or the other that players are powerless to deal with. Run harder, jump higher, hustle more, and just get screwed by the Officials. The effort is pointless when some moron in stripes robs you, and the Conference ought to realize that the integrity of the game is at stake when this sort of thing goes on. People, like myself, just quit watching when we realize that the players don't matter nearly as much as the guys with the whistles.

ShreveFrog

Every B12 game is literally a slugfest. Need Udeh. At a recent post game presser Dixon was asked why didn’t Udeh play? Said you’ll have to ask him.
The exact quote, according to this story, was, “It’s all up to him now.”
So I could interpret that to mean it's up to Udeh to stay off the ankle and/or follow instructions so that it heals.
Anyone who's twisted or rolled an ankle knows it's a tough injury to recover from. I rolled mine badly in intramural hoops. I felt it for years and years and can't stand to see someone suffer the same injury. Have to turn my head when they show a replay.

Froggy Style

I feel like the big 12 has really had it in for us in basketball from the beginning. We get stuck as an 8-10 seed, and then do really well with neutral refs, but then have to play Arizona/Gonzaga type games because they didn't want us to get a road win vs Cincy and Kansas which likely would have us sitting with a 4-5 seed right now. They really do take over the games and it becomes unwatchable until tourney time.

On the bright side, we've been in the tournament several times in a row (and maybe again) which we couldn't say for most of 40 years.

Dogfrog

The exact quote, according to this story, was, “It’s all up to him now.”
So I could interpret that to mean it's up to Udeh to stay off the ankle and/or follow instructions so that it heals.
Anyone who's twisted or rolled an ankle knows it's a tough injury to recover from. I rolled mine badly in intramural hoops. I felt it for years and years and can't stand to see someone suffer the same injury. Have to turn my head when they show a replay.
The comment I heard was at a different venue. The quote you cite was Feb 22, two weeks ago and Dixon mentioned then that imaging of the ankle showed no lingering damage. Dixon allows players to determine when they are ready. Same thing he did with Lampkin.

Froglaw

Scru this I’m hurt and can’t play.

Udeh took a good NIL payment from the flying T club.

Whine to the Judge when you get sued for breach contract.

“I’m hurt”

Bet he’s fine come NBA draft time.

Cut him loose and file the lawsuit.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA

“I’m hurt”

Whoa... tap the brakes homie. We don't know anything about the situation, this is based on one strangely-worded but likely innocent comment...

tcudoc

“I’m hurt”

Username checks out

06DallasFrog

He was limping badly last week and I don’t think he was faking it. Players do get pressured by coaches to play hurt and maybe he has been cleared. I just don’t know enough about the guy to formulate an opinion. We sure could use him.
If he's only been playing basketball for a few years, and this is his first bad ankle injury (no idea if it is), then he's probably pretty scared. Playing with hesitation doesn't help the team and could get him hurt again. If we're in the big dance, and he doesn't lace up, then it'll be time to ask more questions.