• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU basketball notebook: Latest bracketology update, a healthy JaKobe Coles and more

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU basketball notebook: Latest bracketology update, a healthy JaKobe Coles and more

By Steven Johnson

AP23077168451913.jpg

With just seven games remaining in the regular season TCU is in the midst of its most important stretch of the year ahead of the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City starting March 12.

There have been bigger matchups like the ones against Kansas and Houston, but every game the rest of the way is a must win for the Horned Frogs including Saturday’s road game at Kansas State.

Road tests in the Big 12 are always challenging and Manhattan will be no different, but before the focus turns completely to the Wildcats here are a few thoughts about recent trends for TCU on the court and in the latest bracketology projections:

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article285522557.html#storylink=cpy

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...e-a-healthy-jakobe-coles-and-more/ar-BB1ilkIj

Last edited:
JaKobe Coles has had season long plantar fasciitis so that explains why he has not been as good as he can be. He can take his game to another level; when healthy he has good smart offensive game and is a good rebounder. He still has good shooting percentages at 53% from two and 39% from three, up from 32% last season.

He has another year of eligibility so I hope he returns to the Frogs.

Last edited:

FroginBedford68

JaKobe Coles has had season long plantar fasciitis so that explains why he has not been as good as he can be. He can take his game to another level; when healthy he has good smart offensive game and is a good rebounder. He still has good shooting percentages at 53% from two and 39% from three, up from 32% last season.

He has another year of eligibility so I hope he returns to the Frogs.
I know the Big 12 is the toughest basketball conference in the country, but I'm feeling that the typical mid-season slump because of injuries and/or internal team problems that we have seen in the last few years is recurring now for this season....It would not be surprising for the Frogs to be skipped over by NCAA and have to decide to accept a place in the NIT....

Dogfrog

I know the Big 12 is the toughest basketball conference in the country, but I'm feeling that the typical mid-season slump because of injuries and/or internal team problems that we have seen in the last few years is recurring now for this season....It would not be surprising for the Frogs to be skipped over by NCAA and have to decide to accept a place in the NIT....
You could be right I suppose but the last prediction I saw a couple days ago was an 8 seed. Are there internal team issues?

Chico Dusty

I think it would be absolutely surprising if we got left out of the NCAA. I think this is one of best teams we’ve had.

FroginBedford68

You could be right I suppose but the last prediction I saw a couple days ago was an 8 seed. Are there internal team issues?
This year does not appear to have internal issues, but (I don't remember the exact year) when TCU went to Hawaii for a tournament with what appeared to be a really good team, something happened there which no one on any site has verbalized/typed (it must have been a real doozy) and the team came back home and was subpar....The black hole of transfer which has led to loss of promising players....Now plantar's fasciitis made its ugly presence in Hawaii a debilitating factor and has limited the effectiveness of the Frogs in close games....I've been around long enough to believe there is some mystical malevolence surrounding the teams year to year (exceptions 2010 Rose Bowl and 2022 prior to conference championship national championship games)....

LVH

Non conference is dragging us down. Swung and missed against the only 2 good teams we played in non conference.

I think 3 more wins will get us in but 4 will prevent us from being anywhere near the play in round.

UCF and Cincinnati at home are the 2 most winnable games left which means 1 more win from:

-K State's metrics aren't good so its a winnable road game.

-Baylor at home on Big Monday

-at West Virginia while they are terrible this year we still have never won there in Big 12 play

I don't think a road win at Texas Tech or at BYU is realistic

In my mind, you want to climb up to a 6 seed like we were last year, so the Frogs don’t have to play a #1 or #2 seed in the second round. The Frogs are trying to break through and get to that second weekend of the Sweet Sixteen.

This is why I have been disappointed that the Frogs are not getting a bit more respect in the polls, or more importantly, Lunardi’s bracketolgy. Lunardi seems to see things like the selection committee does.

Last edited: