• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU assistant coaches open up about diversity issues and opportunities in college football

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU assistant coaches open up about diversity issues and opportunities in college football

By Steven Johnson

Anthony%20Jones%20(1).jpg

The college football coaching carousel is finally coming to a close, barring any unexpected coaching changes.

Each coaching cycle offers a chance to see how much the industry continues to progress in its diversity, especially with Black assistants. There were 31 openings this cycle and five jobs went to Black coaches. There were some positives, such as a number of Black coaches — like Fran Brown (Syracuse) and Dell McGee (Georgia State) — who rose from position coaches to head coaches, difficult for any coach regardless of color.

On the other hand, Black coaches accounted for less than 20% of the new head coaching hires. There are 134 Division I programs with less than 20 Black head coaches. Every step of progress is followed by a reminder that there is still so much work to be done.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article285928151.html#storylink=cpy

OICU812

That would be “A” way to see it.
That actually seems pretty good. 14.4% of Americans are black and if 19 out of 134 head coaches are black that would be 14.2%. Didn't see in the article if "less than 20" means 19...
Another would be to base the analysis on percentages of former players, since they constitute the overwhelming majority of the coaching ranks. I’m guessing blacks constitute something like 70% of the talent pool of former CFB players.

Wexahu

Another would be to base the analysis on percentages of former players, since they constitute the overwhelming majority of the coaching ranks. I’m guessing blacks constitute something like 70% of the talent pool of former CFB players.
It's not even close to that. Maybe 50%. And if you're counting all levels of college football, far below that.

froginmn

There are definitely multiple ways to evaluate and tough to know which accurately reflect "fairness". It's certainly true that only a percentage of former players seek to get into coaching; I have no idea what percentage do (and certainly don't have it broken down by race).

My former employer established hiring goals for certain protected classes and evaluated percentages of employees in the organization against the percentage of those in the community at large.

Frog79

Or maybe they could just hire based on experience, coaching skill, etc. instead of skin color?

Wexahu

There are definitely multiple ways to evaluate and tough to know which accurately reflect "fairness". It's certainly true that only a percentage of former players seek to get into coaching; I have no idea what percentage do (and certainly don't have it broken down by race).

My former employer established hiring goals for certain protected classes and evaluated percentages of employees in the organization against the percentage of those in the community at large.
I'm sure a lot of them would like to get into coaching if they could skip the first 4-5 stepping stone jobs and start making $300k+ plus right off the bat. I suspect many get in, quickly realize it's a major grind, and then move on to something more stable. It's all hard to quantify.