• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU aiming for strong showing in Big 12 baseball tournament

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU aiming for strong showing in Big 12 baseball tournament

BY STEVEN JOHNSON

tcu_uta-nunez.jpg

TCU baseball understood the assignment. With 10 games left in the regular season, the Horned Frogs were hanging on by a thread for their at-large chances for the NCAA Tournament.

Fast forward a tad over two weeks and TCU finished the regular season 8-2 with impressive series wins over a ranked Cal State Fullerton and Kansas State in the final series of the year.

Elijah Nunez delivered one of the plays of the year as he robbed a home run to seal the win and series on Sunday.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article275660166.html#storylink=cpy

Also available at https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tcu-aiming-strong-showing-big-202150547.html

Last edited:

East Coast

Tier 1
This is way more optimistic than some of the other stuff I've been seeing, going 2 and out might put us back on the bubble, depending upon the number of surprise tourney champions and how many teams the Big12 gets in. Hosting a regional seems to be a stretch, unless we host as a 2 seed (which has happened when some 1's don't put a bid in to host).

DutchFrog

I still have optimism. We beat top ten teams this year and we have shown flashes of greatness. On the plus side, a better record by one game than Schloss and the Ags down south.

FWSTC Hfrog

I have no clue where Johnson got his D1 projections. Almost everything he said is wrong. The Frogs have not been projected as a host since mid year. Currently has them at WF as a 3 seed. I could keep going, but just trash most of this article.

PurpleBlood87

I have no clue where Johnson got his D1 projections. Almost everything he said is wrong. The Frogs have not been projected as a host since mid year. Currently has them at WF as a 3 seed. I could keep going, but just trash most of this article.

I have never seen D1 Baseball having TCU hosting.
Also the May 4th projection had TCU at A&M.
The projection before the KSU series had TCU at Coastal Carolina.

Endless Purple

What is the purpose of a double elimination format for a Big 12 conference tournament?

It would seem that would be harder for a cinderella team to earn the invite, and the teams at the top are pretty much already in the NCAA tournament regardless of results. Looks like the only purpose is to add a lot of playing time to players the week before regionals so they can get no chance at resting up.

FWSTC Hfrog

L. Rod out for the BigXII tourney per reports. Shoulder impingement. Back for regionals. OSU without 2 good pitchers, also.

Last edited:

Eight

What is the purpose of a double elimination format for a Big 12 conference tournament?

It would seem that would be harder for a cinderella team to earn the invite, and the teams at the top are pretty much already in the NCAA tournament regardless of results. Looks like the only purpose is to add a lot of playing time to players the week before regionals so they can get no chance at resting up.

guessing it replicates the double elimination format of the regionals so teams start adjusting things a week early

Double D

Tier 1
4-0 and setting a record for most runs in tournament history. I'd say that is a strong showing.

Now let's see where TCU lands in the tournament.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The S-T does a preview then does not cover one game of the tourney. In fact, there have been by my count two TCU baseball stories all season.

Apparently Steven Johnson doesn't baseball.

I think it’s to prevent the team with the one great pitcher from eliminating the top seed and then going back to mediocre.