• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Phillip Sikes could’ve turned pro, but his decision to join TCU baseball is paying off

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Phillip Sikes could’ve turned pro, but his decision to join TCU baseball is paying off

BY DREW DAVISON

Phillip Sikes had an opportunity to pursue a professional baseball career two years ago. The Arizona Diamondbacks drafted him in the 33rd round of the 2019 MLB Draft out of Pima Community College in Arizona.

But Sikes also had an opportunity to join TCU’s baseball program. He chose the latter.

“I’m from Paris, Texas,” Sikes said. “TCU was the powerhouse growing up. They were going to the College World Series every year. I wanted to play for TCU, man. When I got that opportunity out of junior college, I prayed about it and thank God I made the right decision in coming here.”

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article251007014.html

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Couple observations....

No clue why he's hitting 7th. It's costing him at bats and us chances to score runs.

He'll get another chance at pro ball.
I have thought the same but man is he productive there. He may be the best seven-hole guy in baseball history. Haha

Moose Stuff

I have thought the same but man is he productive there. He may be the best seven-hole guy in baseball history. Haha

I'm sure Schloss has a specific reason for it but every ounce of baseball common sense says he should be hitting somewhere around 3rd. Let's just say we play 60 games this year and he bats 7th in all of them (yes I know he didn't bat 7th in all of them). He probably ends up with 20-30 less at bats than whoever is batting 3rd. Look at his numbers and you can pretty easily come up with how many 2B/HR/runs that's costing us. Might be the difference between a couple more wins or a couple more losses.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I'm sure Schloss has a specific reason for it but every ounce of baseball common sense says he should be hitting somewhere around 3rd. Let's just say we play 60 games this year and he bats 7th in all of them (yes I know he didn't bat 7th in all of them). He probably ends up with 20-30 less at bats than whoever is batting 3rd. Look at his numbers and you can pretty easily come up with how many 2B/HR/runs that's costing us. Might be the difference between a couple more wins or a couple more losses.
He was higher in the lineup and hit well but then seemed to slump, got dropped down and got hot again. My thought is Schloss figured that is a good place for him.

jake102

Yeah he's pretty remarkable right now. If Sacco would just learn how to hit .250, the offense would be near unstoppable. It's crazy guys like Boyers, Henry, Brown and Shepherd are rotating/aren't playing.

Moose Stuff

so we shouldn't get too attached to the idea he will be back next year?

I mean he's 22 years old so it's time to start his career if that's what he wants to do. I don't think he's gonna be a super high pick and get any large sum of money but he might do OK. No idea what his plans are.

Pharm Frog

I mean he's 22 years old so it's time to start his career if that's what he wants to do. I don't think he's gonna be a super high pick and get any large sum of money but he might do OK. No idea what his plans are.

He sure didn’t show RF arm strength against KU. And I realize hitting takes precedence but left me wondering if he’s struggling with something that’s impacting his throwing.

pgdaly84

Yeah he's pretty remarkable right now. If Sacco would just learn how to hit .250, the offense would be near unstoppable. It's crazy guys like Boyers, Henry, Brown and Shepherd are rotating/aren't playing.

I know that Sacco contributes with his glove, but I almost wonder if sitting him for a minute would help him reset mentally. He was hitting above .300 last season and Schloss said that he was hitting really well in the fall. Maybe taking a few games after the UT series to reset mentally would help him at the plate.

jake102

I think he's more comfortable in CF. It's a tougher adjustment than you'd think.

Gotcha. Am I crazy in saying that Nunez arm isn't very strong? That being said - hard to remember a TCU OF whose arm was super impressive. Oh that one super fast dude who made that throw against LSU had a really good arm.... blanking on the name. Cody Jones?

Doing the calculations assuming 25 extra at bats: missing out on 9 hits, which includes 3 doubles, a triple and 2 HRs, plus 8 RBIs and 3 walks.

So over the course of the season, in which we are on pace to score 507 runs in 60 games, that's a loss of 2% of run production.

Not sure its worth risking a slump to move him.

Moose Stuff

Gotcha. Am I crazy in saying that Nunez arm isn't very strong? That being said - hard to remember a TCU OF whose arm was super impressive. Oh that one super fast dude who made that throw against LSU had a really good arm.... blanking on the name. Cody Jones?

Yeah, Nunez does not have a great arm.