• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Former player helped TCU; now it's society's turn

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Former player helped TCU; now it's society's turn

By Big Steaming Pile
tengel@ star-telegram.com

Gary Patterson's chances of finding another quarterback who will match or exceed Andy Dalton's production should happen no later than 50 years from now.

No passer at TCU has done what Dalton did since the days of Baugh and O'Brien.

There will not be another Dalton.

While we're at it, Patterson is never going to find another Curtis Clay. His accomplishments do not compare to Dalton's, but what a guy like Clay means to a team and a head coach can't be overstated. What a Curtis Clay means to college athletics, and society, can't be overstated. ...

West Coast Johnny

My fondest memory of Curtis - Kerely was injured so Clay stepped in to return punts. Who knew that Clay could return punts but in that game (against Wyoming?) he ripped off 2 very good punt returns. The second one, he made two guys missed and had a clear lane to the end zone, and then tripped and fell after about a 35 yard gain - lol.

Ray Finkle

It makes it difficult for us to get more quality walk-ons if they are going into this kind of debt to try and get a scholly. My hat is off to these guys. I also hope our coaches are honest with them and their chances after the first season. I'd hate to see a young man graduate with over $100,000 in debt (no scholly) and never played a down.

Again, thank you all who put it on the line like Clay to be a Frog.

rynosdad

Earning a scholarship as a walk on is no small accomplishment! Any non scholarship player at any D1 school should be aware that this is a rare situation and you may likely have to work harder than others on the team just to get on the field! Kudos to all the walk on players and especially to the few that stick it out to the end & earn that letter.

BABYFACE

A prof at the business school that has sit behind us for many years at FB games, had nice things to say about Clay at a game last year. It seems Clay was well liked by his professors at TCU.

ftwfrog

Earning a scholarship as a walk on is no small accomplishment! Any non scholarship player at any D1 school should be aware that this is a rare situation and you may likely have to work harder than others on the team just to get on the field! Kudos to all the walk on players and especially to the few that stick it out to the end & earn that letter.
Seems as though with last years phenomenal squad we had a lot of integral players who were walk ons at one point. I remember reading that Tyler Luttrell and Bart Johnson were walkons. Think about our team withouth Lutrell, Johnson and Clay. :mellow:

ricksterh

Seems as though with last years phenomenal squad we had a lot of integral players who were walk ons at one point. I remember reading that Tyler Luttrell and Bart Johnson were walkons. Think about our team withouth Lutrell, Johnson and Clay. :mellow:

+ 1 from here. I agree. It's amazing to me that a private school with the costs that TCU has does so well getting, developing and using walkons. :biggrin: