• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Big 12 needs to expand just to survive

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Big 12 needs to expand just to survive

By Jimmy Burch
jburch@star-telegram.com

With or without Missouri in the mix, the Big 12 plans to be a healthy league after Texas A&M departs on July 1, 2012. That much is clear.

But, for how long? In what configuration? And could TCU soon be a part of the mix?

That last idea seemed to be gaining traction Wednesday when interim commissioner Chuck Neinas reversed his Saturday stance about detecting some resistance from Big 12 administrators in regard to expansion opportunities within the Lone Star State.

"I'd say that has changed," Neinas said during a Wednesday teleconference. Neinas did not discuss specific expansion candidates but TCU makes sense for multiple reasons. ...

don

I guess they decided to go east instead of west (BYU, Boise, Air Force).

amazing how Cincy seems to survive. :unsure:

Wasn't it Paul Tagliabue as special Big East advisor that nixed the TV deal last year?

Cougar/Frog

Translation: Look out, Big East, the only BCS conference in greater jeopardy of disappearing from the football landscape than the ever-shrinking Big 12.

In the game of conference realignment, you can either be a killer or a victim. To date, the killers are the B1G, SEC, ACC, and Pac-12.

The Big 12 has been a huge victim to date and, unless it radically changes its strategy, will not last long....<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">

HFrog1999

I don't think the BE is going to be a viable football conference more than a couple of years.

It does appear to be a death match between the Big 12 and the Big East. Of course, the Big 10, SEC, and ACC took chunks out of both conferences. The 12 and East are the injured dogs fighting over the scraps. It appears the 12 would have the upper hand, I wish the East would figure out that they need to start fighting dirty to survive.

STArena.jpg

BelushiBob

I guess they decided to go east instead of west (BYU, Boise, Air Force).

amazing how Cincy seems to survive. :unsure:

Wasn't it Paul Tagliabue as special Big East advisor that nixed the TV deal last year?

Give credit to the Riverboat gambling in the area. Adds flavor to entertaining guests.

BABYFACE

When Neinas said conference vulnerability will play no part in targeted schools, means the Big 12 does not care if they destroy the BE seeking replacements. That there is enough on why TCU should seek Big 12 invite.

Also, if Mizzou stays and big 12 decides to go to 12 teams, will UL insist on Cincy coming with them and the Big 12 agree? I think the best thing is for Mizzou to go SEC and you go with TCU and BYU to get to 10 for 2012. UL and WVU and CIncy remaining targets. Or WVA to SEC and TCU, BYU, and one more from the following of UL, Cincy and USF. All the schools could be in in an 14 team Big 12.

ms19

If Missouri stays i would like to either see (TCU WVU LOU) or (TCU BYU BOISE)
If Missouri leaves i would like to see (TCU WVU LOU BYU)

But who really cares as long as we are in. Can realignment ever end with high fives?

BelushiBob

When Neinas said conference vulnerability will play no part in targeted schools, means the Big 12 does not care if they destroy the BE seeking replacements. That there is enough on why TCU should seek Big 12 invite.

Neinas didnt say that and Cincy and U of L arent tied to together

BABYFACE

Neinas didnt say that and Cincy and U of L arent tied to together

Yes he did, reread Jimmy Burch article. I may not have used Neinas's exact words but he did mean the Big will seek replacements even if the conference they come from is vulnerable. That is how I comprehended it and so did Burch.

As for UL and Cincy, UL helped Cincy go with them to BE from CUSA. And when UL is mentioned as a target school, Cincy's name surfaces. I am not saying that UL would insist on package deal but it appears from past dealings that UL will try to have Cincy's back.

HFrog1999

Yes he did, reread Jimmy Burch article. I may not have used Neinas's exact words but he did mean the Big will seek replacements even if the conference they come from is vulnerable. That is how I comprehended it and so did Burch.

As for UL and Cincy, UL helped Cincy go with them to BE from CUSA. And when UL is mentioned as a target school, Cincy's name surfaces. I am not saying that UL would insist on package deal but it appears from past dealings that UL will try to have Cincy's back.

I beleive that TCU was in discussions to go to the Big East back then and that UL had something to do with screwing us out of it.

cdsfrog

Try being the key word.

Cincinnati is not an attractive candidate. Hell Houston is more attractive.

Tiny stadium, crappy revenue/expenses, apathetic fan base etc. And before anyone tells me they pack their 30k stadium, look up their total enrollment please.