• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Big 12 basketball scramble leaves several teams on the bubble

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Big 12 basketball scramble leaves several teams on the bubble

BY STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

The way Baylor coach Scott Drew views it, having a bubble team such as his is like playing the lottery.

"Fortunately, percentages don’t matter because someone is not supposed to win the lottery and everyone does," Drew said after the Bears lost to TCU 82-72 Saturday afternoon.

With two regular-season games remaining for Big 12 teams, only Iowa State and Oklahoma State appear to need a Big 12 Tournament championship to earn an NCAA tournament berth.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article202098239.html

Portland Frog

“The last time TCU finished with a winning conference record was 2001 in the Western Athletic Conference. TCU last earned an NCAA tournament berth in 1998.”

Most of us are aware it’s been 1998 since the last tourney appearance. But the stat regarding the last time the frogs had a winning conference record surprised me.

MTfrog5

“The last time TCU finished with a winning conference record was 2001 in the Western Athletic Conference. TCU last earned an NCAA tournament berth in 1998.”

Most of us are aware it’s been 1998 since the last tourney appearance. But the stat regarding the last time the frogs had a winning conference record surprised me.
Yea I had to look because I was surprised as well. Went 8-8 the year we made a run in the NIT with Santee and nothing really close since. Didn’t we get snubbed in 2001 from the NCAA tourney? For some reason I remember us having a RPI in the high 40’s, but I could by way off in that.

MAcFroggy

The projections are very interesting. The big 12 could have anywhere from 5-8 teams make the tournament. KSU, UT, and Baylor are all so close to the edge of the bubble that any or all of them could make it. I think the conference will end up with 6-7 teams.

Wexahu

Stating the obvious here but our odds of making it past the first weekend probably go up significantly if we can win at least a couple more games and get out of the 7-10 seeding range, thus avoiding the matchup with a 1 or 2 seed in Game 2. Seems like there's more parity at the top than usual this year but still, the 6-8 best teams are going to be very difficult to beat.

Let's just get in first though. I'll feel much, much better with another win. Lose tomorrow night and we're going to be back on the bubble to some degree.

Stating the obvious here but our odds of making it past the first weekend probably go up significantly if we can win at least a couple more games and get out of the 7-10 seeding range, thus avoiding the matchup with a 1 or 2 seed in Game 2. Seems like there's more parity at the top than usual this year but still, the 6-8 best teams are going to be very difficult to beat.

Let's just get in first though. I'll feel much, much better with another win. Lose tomorrow night and we're going to be back on the bubble to some degree.

I disagree. I firmly think we’re already in the dance.

TCUSA

Yea I had to look because I was surprised as well. Went 8-8 the year we made a run in the NIT with Santee and nothing really close since. Didn’t we get snubbed in 2001 from the NCAA tourney? For some reason I remember us having a RPI in the high 40’s, but I could by way off in that.

Maybe in the high 40's in 2001--I can't remember exactly. But the committee hated Billy Tubbs and screwed us over twice that we had RPIs in the 40's and 20 or more wins (one year was low 40s and really pissed me off).

Sebastian S

It feels that way now but lay an egg tomorrow, lose to Tech and then go down right away in the B12 tourney and things will feel a lot different I can assure you.
Tech and Kstate are probably the number 2 and 3 best in the big 12, tough way to end the season.

But I am glad we got a Baylor win out of the way.

frog-hat

Nice easy projected first round matchup.
Here is a link to those projections
http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?src=desktop

That is the absolute best matchup through the 3rd round we could possibly have. St Bonny we should beat, Auburn will be very tough, but if we were to make it, and, mark my word, we will run Purdue out of the house. They are big and slow and we will shoot them into oblivion.

P

purplePPO

That is the absolute best matchup through the 3rd round we could possibly have. St Bonny we should beat, Auburn will be very tough, but if we were to make it, and, mark my word, we will run Purdue out of the house. They are big and slow and we will shoot them into oblivion.

Nothing is ever a gimmie. I agree we should beat St. Bonnie. If we play them we'll be favored for sure. Auburn is tough. Toss up. I agree if we face Purdue. We definitely can run and outscore them if we are shooting decent, percentage wise. It's all conjecture and nice to think of the possibilities . Hopefully we finish the season strong. Go Frogs!

It feels that way now but lay an egg tomorrow, lose to Tech and then go down right away in the B12 tourney and things will feel a lot different I can assure you.

I don’t mean to be a jerk but have you really looked into it and talked to people who do these brackets for a living? Everyone of those I spoke to said the Frogs were in and losing would only change the seeding. I have researched what the committee is going to look at and our resume is very solid.

Tom Brown

I don’t mean to be a jerk but have you really looked into it and talked to people who do these brackets for a living? Everyone of those I spoke to said the Frogs were in and losing would only change the seeding. I have researched what the committee is going to look at and our resume is very solid.

You are talking to a wall