• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Amid such a disappointing season, would TCU move on from either coordinator?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Amid such a disappointing season, would TCU move on from either coordinator?

By Big Steaming Pile

USATSI_19713226.jpg

No reasonable, or unreasonable, person expected the TCU football program to repeat in 2023 what it did in 2022, but those same people could not have anticipated the Horned Frogs would compete with Texas A&M this season.

Compete for “The Most Disappointing Team” trophy in major college football.

The Aggies had to hire Arthur Andersen’s leftovers to figure out how to pay $77 million to make head coach Jimbo Fisher go away while TCU is close to failing to qualify for a bowl less than a year from reaching the national title game.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article281946728.html#storylink=cpy

Read more at https://sports.yahoo.com/news/amid-disappointing-season-tcu-move-224005949.html

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

I don't know that Hoover is ready to supplant Morris as QB1 next year. If I could see Hoov allowed to run that might help. But his one good game against BYU is hardly a measuring stick. He never saw pressure, except once and he took off on a 26 yard run. (More of that, please!)
I thought Morris looked pretty solid against SMU and Houston. Plays with some swagger. Those WV and ISU games though.
I guess I'd like Sonny to find a really good QB in the portal to at least bridge to the next. Even if that means Morris or Hoov hit the portal. Gotta have a good QB.

fanatical frog

I don't know that Hoover is ready to supplant Morris as QB1 next year. If I could see Hoov allowed to run that might help. But his one good game against BYU is hardly a measuring stick. He never saw pressure, except once and he took off on a 26 yard run. (More of that, please!)
I thought Morris looked pretty solid against SMU and Houston. Plays with some swagger. Those WV and ISU games though.
I guess I'd like Sonny to find a really good QB in the portal to at least bridge to the next. Even if that means Morris or Hoov hit the portal. Gotta have a good QB.

Disagree. Chandler is very good but you can't build an offense around a QB who unfortunately can't stay healthy. I might be a game or two off here but my recollection is he's played well in nine games over three seasons but had lost-time injuries in three of those. I hate it for Chandler but it's just a fact.

I also think Hoover is a better QB than Chandler even while KB is making Josh play with one hand behind his back. He's completed 61% of his passes while evading a stampede of guys in the wrong colored shirts.

Toad Jones

Hard to tell how good Briles is with the QB situation we have had this year. After two years still not sold on the DC.
i don't believe Sonny wants to replace Gillespie or Briles. It's just a feeling based on articles read/heard.

I'll tell you one thing, this bunch can recruit!

Sonny will never admit it, but the chemistry on this team NEVER materialized. I also think the NIL had a lot to do with this. Trying to manipulate the chemistry, organization, and egos of 18-19-20-year-olds would be a frustrating task, then add money paid, and you have a monster on your hands!

Joe Gillespie is a better coach now because of obvious personnel needs. Slowly improving! And Briles falls into a similar situation. No consistency or offensive statement because, again, not the right personnel. Limited resources cause consistency!

I have heard over and over, Dykes is a good CEO from people who would know of that.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Morris wasn't as good as I thought he would be. He's by no means bad, but I'm not sure he's a much above average starting P5 QB. And to me there isn't a huge difference between Morris and Hoover, they look similar out there to me. Capable of making most all the throws, decent feet, but small and prone to getting careless. I guess Hoover has more upside maybe just because he's quite a bit younger....we'll see.

It's going to be hard to lure a guy that's any better without guaranteeing him the starting job, and if you do that, there goes Hoover and/or Morris to somewhere else.

4 Oaks Frog

This article was one of Muck’s good efforts. I find myself agreeing with him. Morris is no longer our starting QB…this year or next. Hoover has the ability and attitude to be an elite QB, but he needs a good OC/QB coach to get him to that level.
We are ranked high in total yardage, but at the bottom in scoring.
Quote from Muck’s article:
“In the category of more stats that make no sense, TCU’s offense under Briles ranks 16th nationally in total yards, yet is tied for 56th in points.”
We are a good team between the 20s, but we lack the scheme and play calling to get into the end zone. That reeks of a bad OC, plain and simple…
GO FROGS!
BEAT THE PUKES!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and £+<# baylor!!

fanatical frog

Morris wasn't as good as I thought he would be. He's by no means bad, but I'm not sure he's a much above average starting P5 QB. And to me there isn't a huge difference between Morris and Hoover, they look similar out there to me. Capable of making most all the throws, decent feet, but small and prone to getting careless. I guess Hoover has more upside maybe just because he's quite a bit younger....we'll see.

It's going to be hard to lure a guy that's any better without guaranteeing him the starting job, and if you do that, there goes Hoover and/or Morris to somewhere else.

Agree.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The shortcomings of both coordinators has been on display. Inability to game plan, scheme or adjust, and a continual failure to put athletes in a position to succeed. This is hardly new, and the lack of changes to these failed strategies points to a rigidity of thought incompatible with the ability to adjust to circumstances.

Sonny isn't firing anybody. Get used to failure.

tjcoffice

Sonny will never admit it, but the chemistry on this team NEVER materialized. I also think the NIL had a lot to do with this. Trying to manipulate the chemistry, organization, and egos of 18-19-20-year-olds would be a frustrating task, then add money paid, and you have a monster on your hands!
Fair point. And that is the sort of thing coaches do not discuss in public.

Frogfam4

I will be honest, I do not think Morris is a P5 QB. He has some talent, but not at this level. I also get the feeling he is not a very good team guy. I know that I will get bashed on here, but I do know that he was mad last year about the success Max had, He felt he should have been the guy and was very selfish about that whole situation. I understand that competitors will get upset, but when it becomes a selfishness that is not good. Look at him on the sidelines now. He does not look happy or celebrate success with his team. I feel like the team is better with Hoover, he gives credit to others and takes blame when things do not go right.

06DallasFrog

I will be honest, I do not think Morris is a P5 QB. He has some talent, but not at this level. I also get the feeling he is not a very good team guy. I know that I will get bashed on here, but I do know that he was mad last year about the success Max had, He felt he should have been the guy and was very selfish about that whole situation. I understand that competitors will get upset, but when it becomes a selfishness that is not good. Look at him on the sidelines now. He does not look happy or celebrate success with his team. I feel like the team is better with Hoover, he gives credit to others and takes blame when things do not go right.
Max had 'it'. Multiple servings. I think Hoover already has more of 'it' than Chandler. When has Chandler ever come out to say, "If I have to be the backup, I'll be the best backup in the country"?

Latest posts