• The KillerFrogs

FWST: A jump to Big East requires upgrade by TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: A jump to Big East requires upgrade by TCU

By Big Steaming Pile
tengel@star-telegram.com

What was once a big "if" is beginning to feel more like a giant "when" regarding TCU and the Big East Conference.

The marriage appears imminent. Two TCU sources classified the union as "probable."

Even though it sounds as if the conference would prefer to take just TCU's football program, the school does not want to break up its sports unless it can find a home for everything else in a preferable situation. That appears unlikely.

What appears likely is TCU will join the Big East along with Temple or Central Florida.

And when TCU joins the Big East, the school best prepare to invest in a program it pretty much has forgotten. ...

Nick Danger

This article also raises another point that hasn't been addressed yet. I've noticed that the Big East names a conference champion in several sports that we don't play here, namely Men's soccer, field hockey, lacrosse and women's rowing and softball. How many of these will we have to add in order to meet the Big East's minimum number of sports?

LVfrog

We'll have to upgrade everything in our BB program for the BE. That is one serious conference when it comes to hoops. CJC will definitely have his work cut out for him.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
This article also raises another point that hasn't been addressed yet. I've noticed that the Big East names a conference champion in several sports that we don't play here, namely Men's soccer, field hockey, lacrosse and women's rowing and softball. How many of these will we have to add in order to meet the Big East's minimum number of sports?

Probably none - we have sports they don't sponsor, and several of those sports have far less than full participation in the Big East (lacrosse and rowing especially).

froginaustin

Wow. Move to Big East "probable?" Expect upgrades to DMC? That's big news seemingly slipped into a small article.
I wonder if TCU will have the same problems with DMC that we would have had, if we had simply remodeled AGCS-- asbestos all over the place, in no way ADA compliant.

Will we have to scrape DMC and start over?

Dman890

This article is the most unassuming at breaking big news I have ever seen. There should be an entirely separate article written on the idea that 2 TCU officials named the move "probable"

denverfrog

I can't believe we would seriously consider the BE. They are one defection away from oblivion in football and they are pretty much irrelevant right now. Basketball is great in the BE but football is the revenue producer. We are no closer to a MNC in the BE than we are in the MWC. The only thing we gain is when we are crappy we get to go to a better bowl. I don't plan on being crappy anytime soon.

AUFrog

Probably none - we have sports they don't sponsor, and several of those sports have far less than full participation in the Big East (lacrosse and rowing especially).
Maybe we can dam the sh!**er/pond in Worth Hills to start TCU Crew... just hope it wouldn't ruin Bic and Mao's fishing. As for Dixon, that's a retarded pipe dream. We could have hired him once but passed to bring in a far better dresser. Women's field hockey seems like it would bring in some hot athletes and I think softball is still something TCU would like to add.

50FT FROG

I can't believe we would seriously consider the BE. They are one defection away from oblivion in football and they are pretty much irrelevant right now. Basketball is great in the BE but football is the revenue producer. We are no closer to a MNC in the BE than we are in the MWC. The only thing we gain is when we are crappy we get to go to a better bowl. I don't plan on being crappy anytime soon.
if you want to play for championships, you HAVE to consider the big east. we have had a number of things fall our way this year ..... you can't expect that to happen every year ..... not to mention, it makes it a lot easier to schedule out of conference games against other aq conferences because the stigma of losing to a non aq team is suddenly gone .... recruiting would pick up and i haven't even gotten to the money aspect yet.

AUFrog

I find it hard to believe there's a reason not to go, let alone enough to make someone think we shouldn't and are better off in the MWC. TV and the revenue from it are far superior in the Big East. This year, if we lost 1 football game, we go to Vegas or worse! The travel for the teams is a toss-up, although far worse for me. Baseball exists in the Big East and hoops is unreal. Aside from the Big East having a down year in football this year, I'm not sure why someone would feel this way.

Dman890

Glad to know that you don't plan on being "crappy" anytime soon. But how about taking away the worse case scenario of being "crappy"....how about if we lose 1 game?
If we lose 1 game in the MWC we are done and relegated to the Poinsettia Bowl. Big East you can lose once or twice and still have a great season.

There are definitely negatives about going to the big east, but unfortunately MWC is largely irrelevant in football after Utah and BYU leave. No one start preaching to me about how air force is a statement win for us.

halfwaytoheaven

This article is the most unassuming at breaking big news I have ever seen. There should be an entirely separate article written on the idea that 2 TCU officials named the move "probable"

Is this what they call burying the lead?

As for moving to the Big East, I can't see us making extensive renovations to DMC without starting over. Asbestos aside, why would anyone build a round basketball arena? The court's a rectangle, make the seating rectangular. It is a pretty loud building when it's packed, though.

And I wouldn't mind at all if we used some of those Big East BCS bucks to add a softball team. Then maybe we could upgrade lacrosse from club to NCAA. Or not.

Really glad you don't sit on the Board of Trustees.

ACroofrog

Is this what they call burying the lead?

As for moving to the Big East, I can't see us making extensive renovations to DMC without starting over. Asbestos aside, why would anyone build a round basketball arena? The court's a rectangle, make the seating rectangular. It is a pretty loud building when it's packed, though.

I am not sure what type of renovations they would be refering to, I did notice last night that about 30 percent of the seats had been replaced with new ones, it may be a first step in replacing all the seats in the DMC which would be nice as the ones I am in were not ones that got replaced and are far from comfortable seats. Overall I like the DMC as has been mentioned when we are able to pack that place it turns into one of the loudest in the country.