• The KillerFrogs

FS Midwest: Big 12 giving Mizzou time to make decision

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FS Midwest: Big 12 giving Mizzou time to make decision

Steve Cameron

Missouri is not going to win the Big 12 football championship this year.

But make no mistake: The conference's most dramatic overtime result will take place soon in Columbia.

The University of Missouri Board of Curators is expected to decide sometime within a couple of weeks whether the school's athletic program should remain in the Big 12 Conference or accept an invitation to join the Southeastern Conference.

Mizzou thus has become the domino which, if tipped, could cause several changes throughout college athletics. ...

roddog

Banned
they are going to end up pissing off the sec like they did the big 12, they have become a cancer! who wants a someone that may or may not want to be there

froginaustin

they are going to end up pissing off the sec like they did the big 12, they have become a cancer! who wants a someone that may or may not want to be there

I would have bet a cup of coffee that the "no" votes on Mizzou were part of political horse trading in the SEC. If that were true, I would think bargains would have been made by now. Maybe there are actually principaled :rolleyes: reasons some in the SEC don't want Mizzou (like maybe, they ain't Southern enough?), or don't want a 14th team.

ED: Maybe they're saving the spot for SMU. At least they claim "southern", even if they're the most Yankee-fied college in Texas.

roddog

Banned
I would have bet a cup of coffee that the "no" votes on Mizzou were part of political horse trading in the SEC. If that were true, I would think bargains would have been made by now. Maybe there are actually principaled :rolleyes: reasons some in the SEC don't want Mizzou (like maybe, they ain't Southern enough?), or don't want a 14th team.

they dont want mizzery bc mizzery keeps telling everyone it wants in the big 10, fools

Missouri is like with a desperate girl who wants a date- they become less ane less attractive the more they beg. I can imagine the SEC is saying to themselves "why settle?" They can go at it with 13 for a bit. Allows them time to work on that ACC team they really want behind the scenes for a year or two.

angelo's frog

I don't have a problem with giving them all the time that they want. I think in the end, they will decide to stay. They may just be leveraging Texas into more concessions. The Big 12 is much stronger with Mizzou as the 10th school than with Louisville. Now Mizzou and BYU may be a wash but evidently BYU ain't happening. So, the Big 12 is better off convincing Mizzou to stay than they would be with Louisville. If you don't agree, consider this: don't you think the conference has talked to the TV networks and asked which is the stronger product and which one they would prefer to have? Of course they have and it looks to me like the answer is Missouri hands down. Factor in the fact that Louisville doesn't fit geographically in a 10 team league but Mizzou fits perfectly in with ISU, KU and K St, and doing whatever it takes to keep Mizzou is a no brainer.

The hold-up in the SEC apparently is Alabama. If the SEC sticks to regional groupings, adding MO th the west division would mean an existing school would have to move to the eastern division. The most likely candidate would be Auburn. Now Auburn loves this because they would be competing in the (currently) weaker eastern division. But "bama hates it because: The SEC schedule allows each team to schedule two rotating schools from the opposite division PLUS a permanent "traditional opponent". Alabama's traditional opponent is Tennessee. If Auburn moved to the eastern division 'Bama would probably have to make them their traditional opponent, thus losing their annual game against Tennessee. In addition, Auburn would have an easier road to the SEC title game every year.

According to radio reports in the St. Louis and KC areas, as of last week Missouri had a majority of votes from the 12 SEC schools, but not the nine needed to approve expansion. Alabama and Tennessee were the main opposition. A compromise proposal was being floated to bring in Missouri but put them in the eastern division, thus mollifying Alabama and Tennessee. But that would make Missouri's closest division opponent Vanderbilt (431 miles), with one or two games in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina every year, obviously not a palatable solution for Missouri. And the tradition-rich SEC appears reluctant to ignore geography to this extent.

Stay tuned.

Tsfardiim

The hold-up in the SEC apparently is Alabama. If the SEC sticks to regional groupings, adding MO th the west division would mean an existing school would have to move to the eastern division. The most likely candidate would be Auburn. Now Auburn loves this because they would be competing in the (currently) weaker eastern division. But "bama hates it because: The SEC schedule allows each team to schedule two rotating schools from the opposite division PLUS a permanent "traditional opponent". Alabama's traditional opponent is Tennessee. If Auburn moved to the eastern division 'Bama would probably have to make them their traditional opponent, thus losing their annual game against Tennessee. In addition, Auburn would have an easier road to the SEC title game every year.

According to radio reports in the St. Louis and KC areas, as of last week Missouri had a majority of votes from the 12 SEC schools, but not the nine needed to approve expansion. Alabama and Tennessee were the main opposition. A compromise proposal was being floated to bring in Missouri but put them in the eastern division, thus mollifying Alabama and Tennessee. But that would make Missouri's closest division opponent Vanderbilt (431 miles), with one or two games in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina every year, obviously not a palatable solution for Missouri. And the tradition-rich SEC appears reluctant to ignore geography to this extent.

Stay tuned.

Has no one thought about just moving both Alabama schools to the East, and putting Tennessee in the West? I realize that Tenn might not like that either, since they wouldn't play Florida every year, but out seems like a reasonable compromise to me. Tenn and Ole Miss used to be a pretty good rivalry, as well.

PhillyFrog

The SEC heads are pretty confident they can peel off an ACC school. That is the overarching reason Missouri doesn't have the votes.