• The KillerFrogs

Frogs to the B1G?!?

Wexahu

Also saw an article today saying ncaa is preparing to further stack the playoff deck. Calling it “3-3-2-2-1,” giving B1G n sec 3 auto bids and acc n b12 2. Seems like not a coincidence.
And I'll say it again, without some rules put in place that will ensure some parity in the game (no free agency/transfers, salary cap or something similar, etc) this is all just wildly stupid. More playoff teams is last on the list of what this sport needs, they are going backwards.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Maybe so. But for college athletics to make a conscious decision to walk away from the successful unique niche that evolved around education, and realign as a lower level junior NFL league is a head scratcher.
The NIL money pipeline has all but sealed that fate, at least for D1/CFP division football.

JogginFrog

Exclusivity is needed to max out $ distribution. Inclusivity is needed for a legitimate "national championship." These things will always be in tension.

B1G and SEC seeking to identify the minimum viable universe of teams for legitimacy.

Limey Frog

Maybe so. But for college athletics to make a conscious decision to walk away from the successful unique niche that evolved around education, and realign as a lower level junior NFL league is a head scratcher.
FWIW, Tim Brando, who is usually very well-sourced on this kind of thing, thinks there's no way the two big conferences split off from the others. We'll see, but I do tend to think they have more to lose than to gain by doing so.

Toad Jones

As has been discussed previously, TCU would be attractive due to two important factors: 1.) DFW Metro TV ratings, and 2.) Ease of travel, with a Major Airport nearby and only the horrific traffic to contend with.

I honestly don't know if the juice exists for the Metro TV ratings item, in that the core B1G Programs draw ratings all by themselves without the need for local interest. While local interest may boost those numbers slightly, would the increase cover the cost to all Programs that splitting the pie just that little more would entail? There's carriage fees, but Cable is a dying beast, and I am unsure of the richness of that revenue stream in the present. I'm sure that others know a helluva lot more than I do about the minutia of TV/Cable/Money calculus...
intrigued by your statement cable is a dying beast.

BF, don't forget that thousands and millions of people from other parts of the country are moving into the area. Hate to think of this, but Texas is losing the Texas we've known for forever. I don't know the outcome of this. Secondly, a whole 'new' generation of new Texans is being raised and born into the society that we love so much. In short, the personality of the state will most likely change. Therefore locality of a college football team will meld into accepting the mid-west and so forth. I'm sure we would be amazed by the marketing forecast (the facts and figures) the blue bloods have undertaken and my lord, the future of of television is mind-blowing. Like sitting in your media room in a circle and watching the action in full size, some QB being broken into on Saturday afternoon.

The above statement is exactly why we're moving permanently to the small town of Texas where Texas might still be a small part of Texas. For example, places like Weatherford are too close, get out, way out.

Dogfrog

The NIL money pipeline has all but sealed that fate, at least for D1/CFP division football.
You’re right, the move toward a professional league has already started. The money is already in play. If a new league is formed, how long will the educational requirement aspect survive? How long will alums remain hyper loyal when they no longer see players as TCU students (which they can closely relate to), rather merely minor league pros hired to wear TCU on their jerseys?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
intrigued by your statement cable is a dying beast.

BF, don't forget that thousands and millions of people from other parts of the country are moving into the area. Hate to think of this, but Texas is losing the Texas we've known for forever. I don't know the outcome of this. Secondly, a whole 'new' generation of new Texans is being raised and born into the society that we love so much. In short, the personality of the state will most likely change. Therefore locality of a college football team will meld into accepting the mid-west and so forth. I'm sure we would be amazed by the marketing forecast (the facts and figures) the blue bloods have undertaken and my lord, the future of of television is mind-blowing. Like sitting in your media room in a circle and watching the action in full size, some QB being broken into on Saturday afternoon.

The above statement is exactly why we're moving permanently to the small town of Texas where Texas might still be a small part of Texas. For example, places like Weatherford are too close, get out, way out.
Mrs. Brewingfrog found a nice place a few years ago, in an extremely small town, far out in the country. It is pretty much a time-capsule of where I grew up some 60-odd years ago. We have a TV, but it only gets turned on for sports or rocket launches, and the rare Movie Night. I have YouTubeTV and Amazon for content in the rare event I want it, and ESPN+ for watching Frog baseball. In just about all other things, I am retired and checked out. I have my cows, books, workshop, and afternoon jabbering with the locals over brown likker. It's pleasant, and very low-stress. Mrs. Brewingfrog still works, but does so remotely. On nice days, she's sitting poolside with her laptop jousting with the knights of high finance...

You are making a wise move.

It is my understanding that Cable, as we knew it, is losing ground to streaming services which offer lower costs and more options for content. Easily accessible broadband has allowed many things that old fashioned Cable simply could not provide, and they have lost their monopoly on service in most areas because of it.

Toad Jones

Right on course. Our place is in the h. ctry but not in the commercial part of the h. ctny. We're up in elevation and see the horizon When I look at Utube and plug into mid-central and northern Italy, I can see our place with rolling hills and patches of agriculture in pastures at our elevation.. Buildings are different in Italy but everything else is so close. I've asked many who have been to Italy and our area if there is a difference in photographs and eight out of ten get it wrong. Our metropolitan city has four full-time residents and a post office. About 4 to 5 miles west of us, the Tx Highway mag indicates one of the five most beautiful drives in Tx. Some areas don't make it into the business side of the h. ctry you just happened onto them. By the way, you'd choke if you knew our ag exempt taxes!

BTW, my good friend, next-door neighbor has an outfit, a ways from us in the southeast area of Brady. That southeast area of Brady is quite nice. Did I mention he is a Frog, yep, and across the street is yet another Frog? Boy when we get together, lies flow like water...

Last edited:

Wog68

Mrs. Brewingfrog found a nice place a few years ago, in an extremely small town, far out in the country. It is pretty much a time-capsule of where I grew up some 60-odd years ago. We have a TV, but it only gets turned on for sports or rocket launches, and the rare Movie Night. I have YouTubeTV and Amazon for content in the rare event I want it, and ESPN+ for watching Frog baseball. In just about all other things, I am retired and checked out. I have my cows, books, workshop, and afternoon jabbering with the locals over brown likker. It's pleasant, and very low-stress. Mrs. Brewingfrog still works, but does so remotely. On nice days, she's sitting poolside with her laptop jousting with the knights of high finance...

You are making a wise move.

It is my understanding that Cable, as we knew it, is losing ground to streaming services which offer lower costs and more options for content. Easily accessible broadband has allowed many things that old fashioned Cable simply could not provide, and they have lost their monopoly on service in most areas because of it.
5 years ago Mrs. Wog and I moved back to our roots in rural Indiana from Atlanta to enjoy what BrewingFrog is doing. We see all the Frog contests on large screen and play golf on a fine 27 hole course. Nothing could be better.

Toad Jones

5 years ago Mrs. Wog and I moved back to our roots in rural Indiana from Atlanta to enjoy what BrewingFrog is doing. We see all the Frog contests on large screen and play golf on a fine 27 hole course. Nothing could be better.
except your winters and the days of no shine shine. But you are a Hoosier by birth and we have this thing whether we realize it or not, returning to our roots. If you're happy I'd say you are where you're supposed to be. I commend you.

BTW, I hv an old grey sweater that says WOG

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Why? It's all about money and lining pockets.

Wog68

except your winters and the days of no shine shine. But you are a Hoosier by birth and we have this thing whether we realize it or not, returning to our roots. If you're happy I'd say you are where you're supposed to be. I commend you.

BTW, I hv an old grey sweater that says WOG
There are flights from here to sunny, warm winter places.