• The KillerFrogs

Frank Windegger passed away this afternoon.

HToady

During the Windegger era, the athletic facilities were in the dumpster, but the entire university facilities were in the dumpster. Don't know whether that was a Moudy or Windegger issue, I'm thinking Moudy mostly. But nobody was growing. Up until recently Baylor was playing in a stadium on the other side of Waco with a dirt parking lot. So the power of Ann Richards kept us out of the Big 12. I'm thinking at the time, that was a blessing, we could have a collective sigh of relief like Baylor and do nothing, or we could fight back with growing our programs back to competitiveness at any level. I think Frank had a hand in that but his predecessors made us what we are today.

For "newcomers" to this forum (i.e. those who started this century) Wes' early name on this forum was Tired of Frank. Then later, Tired. Frank was a great ambassador for the school, and was an excellent baseball coach, with his teams playing on what has to be one of the strangest fields in college baseball. He just was not a good AD for a school that was so unwilling to spend money on facilities.

Hyman was a great administrator/bureaucrat who got the department organized and disciplined, but was not a good overall AD. Not a people person at all. Frank might have thrived if he had a predecessor like Hyman and the University had been as supportive as they became in the mid-1990's.

The only really bad decision was Frank's hiring of Sullivan based on a speech he gave. I kept waiting for a hint of a good speaker '92-'97. Never even close. I was at the reception for the new coach (Sullivan) at Ridglea CC and was very underwhelmed.

I wish all the coaches and administration loved the Frogs as much as Frank. RIP, coach.
I think the only thing that Wes didn't respect about Windegger was his handling of the Sullivan hire.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Sully was a wonderful speaker. He gave a fine speech just after his hire at the Houston Frog Club Event, and brought the house down by exclaiming "And we're tearing out that turf and installing real grass!"

Aside from beating the stinking Longhorns, and recruiting a certain RB, that may have been Sully's greatest contribution to TCU...

Frank Windegger loved TCU. He did what he could as AD, but was evidently not a pushy fellow in that capacity. The exclusion of TCU from the NCAA field in 1983 was criminal, and Frank was on the Selection Committee. He later said, "I figured there would be an angry reception, waiting for me with a purple rope." (Or something to that effect...) I don't think he really liked the job of AD.

We spoke at the Grand Opening of The Lup, lo these many years ago. I kidded him about the placement of the TCU bench on the 3rd baseline, "You'd better parade a goat around in here before you play a game!" He was so proud that evening, so very proud...

Go Frogs!

Dogfrog

In his defense, Frank inherited a tough nut when he became AD in 1975. After great football in the 20’s-50’s, the end of single platoon football in 1964 was kind of a death knell for most private universities with 6000 undergrads. With single platoon technically you had 11 starters and could probably compete very well with a very small roster. Also there were no scholarship limitations until 1973, so UT probably had 150 on scholarship. So the TCU administration appeared to lose faith that we could compete, and seemed to just be happy being in the SWC, which was good advertising for the school and applications. Only it was pretty bad advertising getting crushed most weeks.

For "newcomers" to this forum (i.e. those who started this century) Wes' early name on this forum was Tired of Frank. Then later, Tired. Frank was a great ambassador for the school, and was an excellent baseball coach, with his teams playing on what has to be one of the strangest fields in college baseball. He just was not a good AD for a school that was so unwilling to spend money on facilities.

Hyman was a great administrator/bureaucrat who got the department organized and disciplined, but was not a good overall AD. Not a people person at all. Frank might have thrived if he had a predecessor like Hyman and the University had been as supportive as they became in the mid-1990's.

The only really bad decision was Frank's hiring of Sullivan based on a speech he gave. I kept waiting for a hint of a good speaker '92-'97. Never even close. I was at the reception for the new coach (Sullivan) at Ridglea CC and was very underwhelmed.

I wish all the coaches and administration loved the Frogs as much as Frank. RIP, coach.
I guess we all have different experience with people at times. I ran into Mr. Hyman a couple of times away from campus and spoke to him. One of those times was after he left TCU. He could not have been more friendly. He really appreciated TCU. He was a big TCU booster even after he left. I think his kids went to TCU. Good things happened at TCU when he was here. I thought he was great.

Double D

Tier 1
Email from Block T Association:

ADKq_NYE1NgtRby1tEDYiSOydVWYgUb6k3t91sB0p-9F1BAaBsv0Rowef-cnvWozbfzb27edvdqSERu5cG0WH90chfUxwG8cHoIDcylidambUlqnMBy-PM88-zGueMuq_10yRf-YWjrR9xXwshQMofM=s0-d-e1-ft

Frank Windegger '57

TCU Football & Baseball | TCU Athletics Director

It is with a heavy heart that the TCU Block T Association announces the passing of former TCU Football and Baseball Letterwinner, Coach, Athletic Director, Hall of Famer, and lifelong Horned Frog, Frank Windegger. Windegger passed away peacefully this past Friday, March 8. He was 88 years old.

Windegger played football and baseball for the Horned Frogs, excelling in baseball where he became the program’s first player to have his number retired. Windegger graduated from TCU in 1957 and following a two-year stint in the U.S. Army, he came back to Fort Worth to serve as an assistant ticket manager and assistant baseball coach. Three years later in 1962, at age 28, he was named the baseball team’s head coach, where he helped lead the Horned Frogs to four Southwest Conference Championships – including the conference title in 1963 as the youngest head coach to win a SWC championship.

In addition to his head coaching duties, Windegger would go on to become somewhat of a Jack-of-all-Trades within the athletic department, also serving as the ticket manager, athletics business manager and assistant athletics director. After stepping down as baseball head coach in 1975 following a career record of 298-166-1 (.641), he became TCU’s full-time athletic director. He served as TCU’s longest tenured AD all-time, retiring in 1998 after 23 years on the job.

According to TCU archives, while serving as AD, Windegger was instrumental in guiding TCU through Title IX by starting seven different women’s sports programs (basketball – 1977, golf – 1978, swim & dive – 1979, rifle – women began competing on men’s team in 1980, track & field/cross country – 1983, soccer – 1986, and volleyball – 1996) and a pair of men’s programs (soccer – 1978, swim & dive – 1979).

Windegger accumulated many honors over his career, including being inducted into the TCU Athletics Hall of Fame in 1982, a class that also included Dr. James Cash, Ronald Clinkscale, Drew Ellis and Johnny Hall. He was also inducted into the NACDA Athletic Directors Hall of Fame and the Southwest Conference Hall of Fame.

In 2013, Windegger was named the 46th recipient of the James J. Corbett Memorial Award, the highest honor and accomplishment that someone can achieve in athletics administration.

He is survived by his wife Barbara, daughters Sherry Mitchell and Dana Dirksen, their husbands and several grandchildren.

SERVICES FOR FRANK WINDEGGER

Funeral Service

Tuesday, March 19 at 2 p.m.
University Christian Church
2720 S University Dr.
Fort Worth, TX 76109

Frogs1983

During the Windegger era, the athletic facilities were in the dumpster, but the entire university facilities were in the dumpster. Don't know whether that was a Moudy or Windegger issue, I'm thinking Moudy mostly. But nobody was growing. Up until recently Baylor was playing in a stadium on the other side of Waco with a dirt parking lot. So the power of Ann Richards kept us out of the Big 12. I'm thinking at the time, that was a blessing, we could have a collective sigh of relief like Baylor and do nothing, or we could fight back with growing our programs back to competitiveness at any level. I think Frank had a hand in that but his predecessors made us what we are today.
Moudy IMO. No interest in TCU athletics whatsoever! I think if Moudy had his way, TCU athletics would be D2 right now.

Paint It Purple

Regarding facilities, (depending on what years you refer) TCU was NOT at the bottom of the list.

TCU Football and training facilities = Texas
Daniel Myer Col > BU, Rice, SMU, Tech, Ark
TCU Diamond = all but Texas and Ark and better than the rest. Texas and Ark only got new stadiums in 74
Track was a joke
Tennis, best in SWC

Big Frog II

Moudy IMO. No interest in TCU athletics whatsoever!I think if Moudy had his way, TCU athletics would be D2 right now.
Moudy was a nice person but a below average Chancellor. He didn't raise any money and put our school in a financial pickle. My mother went to TCU with him and said his nickname was "egghead". He really didn't care one way or the other about athletics and it showed. Windegger happened to be AD at a good deal of the time Moudy was in charge. It was a big hill to climb.

Deep Purple

During the Windegger era, the athletic facilities were in the dumpster, but the entire university facilities were in the dumpster. Don't know whether that was a Moudy or Windegger issue, I'm thinking Moudy mostly..
Mostly Tucker. A very fine man, but he strongly believed in scrimping on expenditures to sock money away into the university endowment. Hard to fault him much for that. In 1988, I remember hearing another college president say, "In 10-15 years, there will be only two kinds of universities: Those who have an endowment and those who are out of business." Tucker laid the foundation of the $3 billion endowment TCU now enjoys.

As for Frank, during the earliest stage of my TCU career I had the pleasure of working with him in couple of different roles for 4 years before he retired. A true gentleman and sportsman -- and purple to the core. In '95, I drove an open convertible carrying him and Lindy Berry (another true gentleman) in the Homecoming parade around Bluebonnet Circle and up University, west on Cantey, and south on Stadium to the old AGC Stadium eastside lot. I drew that car because I was the only staff member present who could drive a stick. Somebody else drew the car ferrying Jim Swink and Dan Jenkins, and yet another carried Bob Lilly and Kenneth Davis, and a fourth carried Sammy Baugh.

I bought a leather-bound edition of "Greatest Moments in TCU Football History" that day and collected the autographs of each. Frank wrote: "To [Deep}: My very best to a special colleague." Of course I knew it was just a formula phrase to flatter me, but as a relatively new TCU fan, it really made an impression.

RIP, Frank. From a "special colleague."

Last edited:

Rabidfrog

Moudy was a nice person but a below average Chancellor. He didn't raise any money and put our school in a financial pickle. My mother went to TCU with him and said his nickname was "egghead". He really didn't care one way or the other about athletics and it showed. Windegger happened to be AD at a good deal of the time Moudy was in charge. It was a big hill to climb.
got phi beta kappa under Moudy.