• The KillerFrogs

Forbes: NIL Collectives And Jaden Rashada Show NCAA Rules Are In Shambles

Zubaz

Pro sports have salary caps to keep teams competitive, can trade players, have a draft for balance. When colleges start trading students regardless of their degree goals, draft players out of high school regardless of their educational goals or desires, etc... then this could probably work for a business, btu not for a school.
There are several pro sports that do not have salary caps. European Soccer and MLB most notably. How a league chooses to maintain a competitive balance is a separate conversation from pretending that a pro league is *wink wink* "amateur".
I have never bought a TCU related item based upon a player.
TCU has literally sold Andy Dalton, Tank Carder, and LT Jerseys in the past. I know because I have several. They didn't put their names on them, and of course the players didn't see any of that money (funny, that), but we all know when TCU was selling #5 Jerseys in 2000, #14 Jerseys in 2010, and #43 Jerseys in 2011 what they were. They only stopped in the wake of the O'Bannon decision.

Wexahu

And I agree with you. Pay the players, get them signed to contracts for a certain term (whatever that is), and be done with it. What's less justified is "we aren't going to pay you, but we're still going to pretend like we can control your decisions of where you can go".
What do you mean, players out of high school can choose to go wherever they want, as long as they are wanted. And there are about 130 D1 schools to choose from. It's nothing like pro sports in that regard.

The idea that players have been used and abused for so many years is comical. There are thousands and thousands of kids out there who would trade places (and who would have pre-2021) with all these used and abused players in a heartbeat.

Zubaz

What do you mean, players out of high school can choose to go wherever they want, as long as they are wanted. And there are about 130 D1 schools to choose from
And yet once they arrive on campus, despite being "students" and literally forbidden from receiving compensation from their team, the NCAA acts like they can still control who they play for comparable to an athlete signed to a performance contract. Which is self-evidently absurd, and something they know probably wouldn't hold up to a challenge, btw.
There are thousands and thousands of kids out there who would trade places (and who would have pre-2021) with all these used and abused players in a heartbeat.
Ah, the old "there are people that have it worse so take what you get and like it" canard. What is this, the guilded age?

cheese83

And yet once they arrive on campus, despite being "students" and literally forbidden from receiving compensation from their team, the NCAA acts like they can still control who they play for comparable to an athlete signed to a performance contract. Which is self-evidently absurd, and something they know probably wouldn't hold up to a challenge, btw.

Ah, the old "there are people that have it worse so take what you get and like it" canard. What is this, the guilded age?
Only way is if the players unionize, that’s the difference that hasn’t been brought up in this thread.

Wexahu

You must think $200k+ scholarships are worthless. Let's just forget about those when making an argument.

"take what you get and like it"......lol. Yeah, it's about like that.

Zubaz

You must think $200k+ scholarships are worthless. Let's just forget about those when making an argument.
Not worthless, but not remotely comparable to the revenue generated. It's undisputed that player compensation as a percentage of revenue is WAY lower in college athletics relative to other sports, which is self evident considering once again, the NCAA outlaws compensation beyond what you're talking about. They've used their monopoly power (one granted to them by the NFLPA, to be fair) to set a price ceiling, basically, and one well well well below comparable caps in other sports.
Only way is if the players unionize, that’s the difference that hasn’t been brought up in this thread.
Indeed. Of course, the people that tend to say players shouldn't be paid also tend to be somewhat hostile to unions. Monopoly power is only good in one direction.

puckster59

There have always been rules. But there’s only been selective enforcement. Same will be true of any “standard” established with NIL, TV contract shares, etc.

hometown frog

As long as schools, coaches and merch providers are making billions from the game, the players should absolutely be making revenue from the same. If not, then it’s an unfair labor environment that starts to run afoul legally. And I don’t see the scholarship as part of that revenue since the scholly has always been a part of any sport and the massive revenue stream is a relatively new phenomena. So continue to provide scholarships to players AND make an official profit sharing system that pools across teams/conferences that schools have to distribute each year. Now it’s equitable and adjusts based upon market share while still allowing hiring performing schools/conf to payout more revenue to their players

cheese83

Not worthless, but not remotely comparable to the revenue generated. It's undisputed that player compensation as a percentage of revenue is WAY lower in college athletics relative to other sports, which is self evident considering once again, the NCAA outlaws compensation beyond what you're talking about. They've used their monopoly power (one granted to them by the NFLPA, to be fair) to set a price ceiling, basically, and one well well well below comparable caps in other sports.

Indeed. Of course, the people that tend to say players shouldn't be paid also tend to be somewhat hostile to unions. Monopoly power is only good in one direction.
To be fair if they unionize it could actually hurt some of the top earners if they got salary caps or minimum salaries. Will be interesting, Northwestern's group failed earlier and didn't that go to the Supreme Court?

Mean Purple

There's zero reason that college football's current revenue can not adequately compensate players. It's not like we're all going to games for free or something.

I think I was pretty clear that it's been a pro sport in everything but player compensation. And that's the part that needs to change in order to stop the charade.

And I agree with you. Pay the players, get them signed to contracts for a certain term (whatever that is), and be done with it. What's less justified is "we aren't going to pay you, but we're still going to pretend like we can control your decisions of where you can go".
Well, and now moving quickly to, in a way, a model without organization rights/protection. If they want to send these kids down the pro model, without accounting for the value of the cost of college provided and development of the player provided (both a benefit of big value to the player), then it's going to evolve further and kids could find themselves facing 1 - 2 year offers where they can be fired at the end (if not earlier) for not performing.

Offering a kid in high school millions, when they have not taken one step in a college game, is a massive gamble. That's just enticement. Schools will wise up to it and focus on a model that is aimed at upper classmen/proven players at the college level.

Zubaz

To be fair if they unionize it could actually hurt some of the top earners if they got salary caps or minimum salaries. Will be interesting, Northwestern's group failed earlier and didn't that go to the Supreme Court?
I could be mixing cases up, but I believe that went to the NLRB who ruled that they could not organize a labor union, but subsequent opinions have kinda come out indicating that if the decision was made today it might go the other way.
Well, and now moving quickly to, in a way, a model without organization rights/protection. If they want to send these kids down the pro model, without accounting for the value of the cost of college provided and development of the player provided (both a benefit of big value to the player), then it's going to evolve further and kids could find themselves facing 1 - 2 year offers where they can be fired at the end (if not earlier) for not performing.
I agree. I would think that any sort of formal would almost require some sort of collective bargaining to protect player interests beyond simply saying "now we can get paid".
Offering a kid in high school millions, when they have not taken one step in a college game, is a massive gamble. That's just enticement. Schools will wise up to it and focus on a model that is aimed at upper classmen/proven players at the college level.
I would suggest we're already seeing just that, with how active certain schools (including TCU) have been in the transfer portal.

Wexahu

I don't know where this goes but I have a hard time believing this country is clamoring for a minor league professional football league. Maybe it's just me getting old and out of touch, but another NFL except with far worse players seems kind of uninteresting.

I "think" people have liked college football all this time because it's college football and there is at least the thought, fantasy as it might be, that the guys out there playing are doing it for reasons other than money. Silly me.

Wexahu

I can't wait for this chapter of College Football to be over. The fallout from most of these NIL groups will be long lasting on the sport and institutions.
This kind of illustrates how bad it is and how it isn't all about what's best for TCU. We just had arguably their best season in 80+ years and you can't wait for this chapter to be over. Me either. It sucks.

I found myself not really giving two [ Finebaum ]s at the start of the year (or at least caring A LOT less than I used to), and then obviously it got real good as we kept winning and winning. But I will easily lose interest after a few losses in a season, I'm pretty sure of that. It's simply a lousy sports product because of idiotic rules in terms of player acquisition and retention. I'd like to care much more about recruiting but what's the point, half of them will be gone in a year or two anyway and some other vagabonds will replace them.

Mean Purple

I could be mixing cases up, but I believe that went to the NLRB who ruled that they could not organize a labor union, but subsequent opinions have kinda come out indicating that if the decision was made today it might go the other way.

I agree. I would think that any sort of formal would almost require some sort of collective bargaining to protect player interests beyond simply saying "now we can get paid".

I would suggest we're already seeing just that, with how active certain schools (including TCU) have been in the transfer portal.
Yep, highest NIL dollars will just push towards retaining proven players on the team and getting those "free agents" in the portal. Luckily, SC is so adapt to reading what is a real deal in the portal. The importance of culture on a college team with younger adults being what it is, I hope we can evolve to less from the portal and more from retaining great recruits.

I think next Wed is the final signing day, right?

Endless Purple

Pre-NIL when schools would sell a jersey with a number but no name are we acting like there was no player connection to those numbers?
It stopped well before NIL. How many maroon #5 Tomlinson jerseys (without name on it of course) would you, as a TCU fan, have bought if he played for A&M?

Endless Purple

There are several pro sports that do not have salary caps. European Soccer and MLB most notably. How a league chooses to maintain a competitive balance is a separate conversation from pretending that a pro league is *wink wink* "amateur".

TCU has literally sold Andy Dalton, Tank Carder, and LT Jerseys in the past. I know because I have several. They didn't put their names on them, and of course the players didn't see any of that money (funny, that), but we all know when TCU was selling #5 Jerseys in 2000, #14 Jerseys in 2010, and #43 Jerseys in 2011 what they were. They only stopped in the wake of the O'Bannon decision.
Nice way to pick and choose balances. MLB still has player contracts, trade restrictions, and a draft. Oh, they do have a luxury tax to prevent teams from spending way more than others without penalty. So yes, they have a form of financial balance.

As I asked Shorty, How many of those jerseys would you have bought because of those players if they played for A&M (assuming your a TCU fan and not an A&M fan)? Do you have a jersey from another team with a famous players numebr on it like Manziel's?

I also bet that DJ Allen and Abe Camara would find it cool to see you wearing their number around campus or to a game.

Wexahu

Nice way to pick and choose balances. MLB still has player contracts, trade restrictions, and a draft. Oh, they do have a luxury tax to prevent teams from spending way more than others without penalty. So yes, they have a form of financial balance.

As I asked Shorty, How many of those jerseys would you have bought because of those players if they played for A&M (assuming your a TCU fan and not an A&M fan)? Do you have a jersey from another team with a famous players numebr on it like Manziel's?

I also bet that DJ Allen and Abe Camara would find it cool to see you wearing their number around campus or to a game.
MLB players are bound to their teams until they have 6 years of major league experience, which often isn’t until a guy is 28-30 years old. They can become eligible for arbitration but they aren’t free agents.

Not even remotely comparable to college football free agency.