• The KillerFrogs

Football Scoop: TCU FB to add former Nevada coach Ken Wilson

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU to add former Nevada coach Ken Wilson​

Story by John Brice

AA1mJhfz.img

Ken Wilson’s exit from college football isn’t set to last long.

Wilson, most recently the head coach of the Nevada Wolf Pack, is joining the TCU football staff of Sonny Dykes, sources tell FootballScoop Tuesday night.

Nevada’s head coach through the 2022-23 seasons, Wilson served the Wolf Pack across multiple stints for more than two decades.

Additionally, Wilson has coached in the PAC-12 at Oregon and Washington State.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/sources-tcu-to-add-former-nevada-coach-ken-wilson/ar-AA1mJcti

ShreveFrog

Wilson will probably help Avalos on defense. He was Avalos' top assistant when Avalos was DC at Oregon. From Wilson's bio:
Wilson served as co-defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach from 2019-21 at Oregon...
Wilson added co-defensive coordinator to his duties after helping Oregon to back-to-back Pac-12 Conference titles in his first two years on staff.

Wilson's full bio from the Nevada athletics website.

Edit: @This Ain't Chopped Liver beat me to it.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Wilson will probably help Avalos on defense. He was Avalos' top assistant when Avalos was DC at Oregon. From Wilson's bio:
Wilson served as co-defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach from 2019-21 at Oregon...
Wilson added co-defensive coordinator to his duties after helping Oregon to back-to-back Pac-12 Conference titles in his first two years on staff.

Wilson's full bio from the Nevada athletics website.

Edit: @This Ain't Chopped Liver beat me to it.
Excellent

allclearforfrogs

TCU to add former Nevada coach Ken Wilson​

Story by John Brice

AA1mJhfz.img

Ken Wilson’s exit from college football isn’t set to last long.

Wilson, most recently the head coach of the Nevada Wolf Pack, is joining the TCU football staff of Sonny Dykes, sources tell FootballScoop Tuesday night.

Nevada’s head coach through the 2022-23 seasons, Wilson served the Wolf Pack across multiple stints for more than two decades.

Additionally, Wilson has coached in the PAC-12 at Oregon and Washington State.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/sources-tcu-to-add-former-nevada-coach-ken-wilson/ar-AA1mJcti
Another strong get. He will help our new DC.

Limey Frog

So, we're bringing in multiple people from outside our head coach's immediate coterie of coaching-world friends and longtime associates to try and improve a unit that has so badly underperformed as to compromise the entire program?

This is unheard of. Outrageous. How can we?

As I've said before, Dykes may yet prove to be a worse head coach than GP (it's very difficult to be much better), but he is at least already an upgrade in the one area that most tarnished GP's otherwise legendary record.

Gillespie was the linebackers coach so one wonders if Avalos is going to be that too or if Wilson takes that important role in this defense since that has been his longtime specialty and he filled that position for Avalos at Oregon. If Wilson does, then one of the other on-field coaches has to move off the field.

On paper, it is great to have Wilson onboard to expedite the transformation into a good defense.

Last edited:
From Chris Murray of Nevada SportsNet—

The 59-year-old Wilson told NSN the day he was fired he was not done being a coach and would enjoy returning to an assistant role where he'd get to work more with players on the field.

"I think one of the biggest things you find out being a head coach is they shouldn't call it coach," Wilson said. "You're head administrator. You're not a coach. My passion and love this whole time has been those players in the locker room and development and being able to coach and the relationships, and you try that as a head coach, but that's not part of the job description really when you get into it. I'm looking forward to getting back in ... and in my future, I'll be back out there coaching guys and enjoying the game of football."

fanatical frog

From Chris Murray of Nevada SportsNet—

The 59-year-old Wilson told NSN the day he was fired he was not done being a coach and would enjoy returning to an assistant role where he'd get to work more with players on the field.

"I think one of the biggest things you find out being a head coach is they shouldn't call it coach," Wilson said. "You're head administrator. You're not a coach. My passion and love this whole time has been those players in the locker room and development and being able to coach and the relationships, and you try that as a head coach, but that's not part of the job description really when you get into it. I'm looking forward to getting back in ... and in my future, I'll be back out there coaching guys and enjoying the game of football."

I think I like this hire.