• The KillerFrogs

First Black TCU or SWC cheerleader...great story

westoverhillbilly

I give TCU credit for owning its role during the Jim Crow era and I think it will serve us well in athletics. Alot of universities, especially in the south and southeast, gloss over this and try to obfuscate and/or forget their roles in this ugly era. That Ron Hurdle was ELECTED cheerleader twice also speaks well for TCU's student body in the late 60s.

A&M didn't have its first yell leader until 24 years later! Like Hurdle in the 1960s, Ronnie McDonald faced racial harassment but in the 1990s! Those [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] are a good fit in the SEC.

MCFROG III

Back at the start of the Fall Semester my freshman year in '68, there was a single black guy in the judo class to begin the year. We were about the same age, size & weight at 5'8"-5'9" and 120ish lbs, so we generally were in the same grouping in our sessions. He was pretty nice in class. During the second week, I walked into the Student Union Cafeteria and noticed him eating alone at one of the two seat tables along the south wall, so I got my food & asked to join him. He was much more subdued than that first week in judo, and the conversation was a tough go. He sadly dropped out of school sometime during the third week. After all these years I can only imagine what he probably had to go through that made him bail.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I give TCU credit for owning its role during the Jim Crow era and I think it will serve us well in athletics. Alot of universities, especially in the south and southeast, gloss over this and try to obfuscate and/or forget their roles in this ugly era. That Ron Hurdle was ELECTED cheerleader twice also speaks well for TCU's student body in the late 60s.

A&M didn't have its first yell leader until 24 years later! Like Hurdle in the 1960s, Ronnie McDonald faced racial harassment but in the 1990s! Those [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] are a good fit in the SEC.
I was in school at the time and I don’t think there was much of anything said among people I talked to. We also had a black homecoming queen later. I think there was a little more to do about her. Seems all so silly now.