• The KillerFrogs

Fire Kendal Briles

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
Personally I don't like the red zone play calling a ton and that 4th down play call was horrible. Why we are routinely throwing 5 yards behind the first down marker is baffling killing drives before they actually start.

That said overall the offense looks much better despite 8 new starters. I absolutely believe it will get better. A lot of the plays I really like! I don't care about Art Briles or Baylor ties. If he's a good coach I'm happy. Same goes Kaz, love that dude!

Eight

Personally I don't like the red zone play calling a ton and that 4th down play call was horrible. Why we are routinely throwing 5 yards behind the first down marker is baffling killing drives before they actually start.

That said overall the offense looks much better despite 8 new starters. I absolutely believe it will get better. A lot of the plays I really like! I don't care about Art Briles or Baylor ties. If he's a good coach I'm happy. Same goes Kaz, love that dude!

the one thing on the swing passes, watched the second half of uga v south carolina and if your receivers can block very well outside that can be a damn effective play to get a ball carrier in a one on one situation

frogs right now don't have the interior offensive line to knock people back so i suspect briles is trying to find a workaround

Limey Frog

yes, after you trashed morris and wrote multiple backhanded compliments

you don't have to like briles or morris, the board would be boring if everyone agreed, but i am not sure what game you watched in the first half . morris had over 200 yards of offense in what you think was a bad half
I thought Morris looked great. If he can do that against better teams, look out.

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
the one thing on the swing passes, watched the second half of uga v south carolina and if your receivers can block very well outside that can be a damn effective play to get a ball carrier in a one on one situation

frogs right now don't have the interior offensive line to knock people back so i suspect briles is trying to find a workaround

That makes perfect sense. You mentioned in the other thread the DC doesn't have the players developed he wants to maximize his scheme. The same for Briles. The more confident Morris gets I imagine the more effective his plays will be. Not like they have been with each other for years.

Considering the amount of change the offense has exceeded my expectations thus far. Maybe I was too pessimistic but honestly I still expect them to be better, and I think the offense will be the reason we are in several games we lose on paper but possibly upset.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
yes, after you trashed morris and wrote multiple backhanded compliments

you don't have to like briles or morris, the board would be boring if everyone agreed, but i am not sure what game you watched in the first half . morris had over 200 yards of offense in what you think was a bad half
I think my opinion of Briles is crystal clear. Jury still out on Morris. So there.

Spike

My only real gripe w the O is that Briles seems to be more about cuteness than physicality. Of course that my just be that the Oline isn't where we want it to be but from what I see the run game is fine so far. Except that awful 4th down play call the only really bad call was that reverse that lost like 15 yards.

CountryFrog

My only real gripe w the O is that Briles seems to be more about cuteness than physicality. Of course that my just be that the Oline isn't where we want it to be but from what I see the run game is fine so far. Except that awful 4th down play call the only really bad call was that reverse that lost like 15 yards.
And I think that run play (it wasn't really a reverse, just a sweep play for a guy who is usually a WR) was much more a bad decision by the runner than a bad call. Run plays get blown up sometimes. There's no way to totally avoid that. When you're the ball carrier in that situation then you have to cut up and get as much as you can. If it's a 4 yard loss then that's not on you. Sometimes the defense wins. But under no circumstances can you ever run backward for a 13 yard loss on any play.

PurpleBloodSpitter

Let me begin with stating how much I cannot stand Art Briles. The special needs section called the police in me for my alcohol-induced truth bombs during the 2015 game after the Josh Doctson mauling in 2014.

Two notes:
2014-TCU long snapper sailed one right before half that Baylor recovered and took a field goal to end the half. That was the difference.

2015-Baylor got 5 downs in the second overtime and stil LOST.

Once Baylor parted ways with Art, I found my hate of Baylor nearly disappeared. I certainly will be rooting for them next week against overrated UT.

I was not excited for TCU to hire lil Kendall tape fingers, but I trust the administration and Sonny. Once I accepted that, of course I hope Briles is successful, and believe he will be. It takes some time to change offensive systems. I believe they are still trying to figure out exactly what they are. There are some calls, esp inside the 5 against Colorado which were I’ll advised - and part of that is Morris’s lack of playing time. There is NO excuse for the lack of discipline and penalties.

On Morris-I am excited to see how he grows and hope he stays healthy. Needs more game experience, but wow he can throw the ball. Duggan got much better at the short passes which culminated in a couple beautiful darts against Iowa State, but Morris is a much better passer. Equally if not quicker than Max. No one is a tough as Max or as strong a leader. He was special, but Morris can be a better player. Have watched TCU qbs for over 30 years now, and Morris can throw. Hope he grows into his potential.

Really looking fwd to the SMU game and we better spank that pony. My brother was the drum major at SMU and I was for TCU so we have a pretty strong family rivalry. We will be together at the game and I hope we show up.

Eight

That makes perfect sense. You mentioned in the other thread the DC doesn't have the players developed he wants to maximize his scheme. The same for Briles. The more confident Morris gets I imagine the more effective his plays will be. Not like they have been with each other for years.

Considering the amount of change the offense has exceeded my expectations thus far. Maybe I was too pessimistic but honestly I still expect them to be better, and I think the offense will be the reason we are in several games we lose on paper but possibly upset.

agree that briles is working to fit pieces in the offense and they do have depth issues at running back and concerns in the interior offensive line

they do have a number of options at receiver and while they don't have a dominant guy like quentin, they have a number of guy who have shown they can make plays

morris is getting better, he still has a way to go, missed some throws (especially the deep ball to thompson in the second half that needed more air), but he is getting better, looks more confident, and with the growing pains they still posted over 500 yards of offense

you mentioned the offense hasn't been playing together an extended amount of time. if you look at the stats here are the frogs top receivers

jp richardson 13 catches for 147 yards and 0 td
warren thompson 10 catches for 143 yards and 1 td
jared wiley 9 catches for 83 yards and 1 td
jaylon robinson 8 catches for 86 yards and 1 td
jack bech 5 catches for 66 yards and 0 td
major everhart 5 catches for 61 yards and 0 td
savion williams 5 catches for 60 yards and 1 td

only 2 of those 7 were getting snaps in games for the the frogs last year, they have 9 receivers through 3 games who have at least 1 catch that covered at least 20 yards

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
agree that briles is working to fit pieces in the offense and they do have depth issues at running back and concerns in the interior offensive line

they do have a number of options at receiver and while they don't have a dominant guy like quentin, they have a number of guy who have shown they can make plays

morris is getting better, he still has a way to go, missed some throws (especially the deep ball to thompson in the second half that needed more air), but he is getting better, looks more confident, and with the growing pains they still posted over 500 yards of offense

you mentioned the offense hasn't been playing together an extended amount of time. if you look at the stats here are the frogs top receivers

jp richardson 13 catches for 147 yards and 0 td
warren thompson 10 catches for 143 yards and 1 td
jared wiley 9 catches for 83 yards and 1 td
jaylon robinson 8 catches for 86 yards and 1 td
jack bech 5 catches for 66 yards and 0 td
major everhart 5 catches for 61 yards and 0 td
savion williams 5 catches for 60 yards and 1 td

only 2 of those 7 were getting snaps in games for the the frogs last year, they have 9 receivers through 3 games who have at least 1 catch that covered at least 20 yards

Makes it even more impressive! Honestly it’s not perfect but what is? Offense is progressing nicely. Run D was good. Figure out semi consistent pressure and solid secondary play and perhaps we have a good team. It would be best to beat SMU right after cancelling the series. That would be glorious.

Last edited:

Eight

Makes it even more impressive! Honestly it’s not perfect but what is? Offense is progressing nicely. Run D was good. Figure out semi consistent pressure and solid secondary play and perhaps we have a good team. I would to best SMU right after cancelling the series. That would be glorious.

agree, and liked the introduction of the counter and the sprint draw in the run game