• The KillerFrogs

Fire Joe Gillespie

CountryFrog

How about OL coach? I'm not saying he should be fired, but I don't think anyone would disagree that looks to be the weakest link on the offense right now. Our running game was mostly non existent outside of Morris. And I believe we're now #1 in the Big 12 (and not in the good way) in allowing QB pressures.

Against some of the other teams we've played who aren't as good as WVU up front, I think the OL deficiencies were masked a little. Tonight it was loud and clear and once WVU found the weak spots to exploit in the second half then we had no answers.

We lost this game in the trenches. Both OL and DL were bad for stretches but the OL spent the entire second half being bad.

JugbandFrog

OL did not play well at all…several false starts, pretty good indicators of lack of focus, or getting physically beat..CM ran for his life tonight, play calling was beyond poor
0 yards in 3rd quarter. 0 points in 2nd half. 0-3 on FG, this is not on Gillespie
Yeah. I’m the biggest Gillespie hater, but the defense is not the issue I thought it would be at thia point in the season

Eight

This loss was not on Gillespie and the defense. It was on Kendall Briles and the offense, who couldn't string together a single successful drive -- often, not even a successful series -- in the second half. Result: The D spent 80% of the second half on the field.

Briles seems to want to call plays for the team he wishes he had, not for the team he has. For the past three games, the Houston, SMU, and WVU defenses have simply blitzed almost every down in the 2nd half, and tonight Briles never adjusted his play-calling to exploit the blitz. He continued to call downfield passes, and Morris just continued to indecisively to hang in the pocket considering his options until the pocket collapsed and he had no options left.

Some on this board have said they're warming up to Briles. I'm not. He strikes me as too inflexible and unable to make in-game adjustments.

way, way off on this deep as i don't recall briles suiting up and playing in the offensive line, especially in the third quarter when that was the worst offensive line play since maybe the 2012 season

cctcu

How about OL coach? I'm not saying he should be fired, but I don't think anyone would disagree that looks to be the weakest link on the offense right now. Our running game was mostly non existent outside of Morris. And I believe we're now #1 in the Big 12 (and not in the good way) in allowing QB pressures.

Against some of the other teams we've played who aren't as good as WVU up front, I think the OL deficiencies were masked a little. Tonight it was loud and clear and once WVU found the weak spots to exploit in the second half then we had no answers.

We lost this game in the trenches. Both OL and DL were bad for stretches but the OL spent the entire second half being bad.
We lost this game just about every which way we could, including the coaching staff. That was complete team effort in losing - hardly anyone was focused and trying their best, including, again, our coaching staff.
Miserable, nauseating game to watch.

Eight

this, yes it is more fun to blame briles and thows stones at morris, but the realty is that this offensive line isn't good and the top two defensive line rotations are very limited in potential playmakers

pretty sure sonny and his staff had an idea these were to big potential problems and they tried to address is, obviously it hasn't worked the way they hope and i will come back to this point

first, the easier of the two issues because there might be a choice though a tough one and that is the defensive line

if you look at the frogs first two rotations of defensive linemen you will find three guys who are just guys and what i mean by that is they are limited in either size, strength, speed, or athletic ability and don't really have the physical skill needed in the defense

if you have been watching the frogs you can figure out who i am referring to and i do want to say all of these guys seem to play as hard as they can for frogs, might be great guys on and off the field and examples for the younger guys in the program

the challenge is that two of these guys are juniors and unless they are hiding something you aren't suddenly going to see explosive quickness, athleticism, or pass rush ability

which brings us to the tough choice, there a group of young defensive linemen who have flashed the potential for doing some of the things and having the skills the older linemen haven't or don't, but do you take what you know and try to work around it or do you opt for the what if knowing you might be throwing some guys out there before they are ready and you might have some really ugly moments of learning ahead?

offensively, as mentioned before this has not been a good offensive line this season and a big issue both figuratively and literally is the health of brandon coleman. with brandon out, ben taylor-whitfield is the frogs' best option at guard and consider for a moment what it means when a true freshman offensive linemen is the team's best guard,

furthermore, consider for a minute that bt-w and patrick willis with john lanz at center is a better option than tbt-w and say lanz at guard and whomever would be the next man up at center. that might sound harsh to some, but go watch the 4 and short play in the first half or the second half and ask yourself that if ricker truly had a better option in the interior line or at offensive tackle he would be willing to risk his career for keeping that group out on the field

the really rough spot is outside of coleman coming back healthy (which i suspect isn't going to happen because he hasn't looked right all year) there really isn't a great plan b. for those who want to throw a fit about that comment please find below the link to the frogs' roster from gofrogs.com and tell me who else is waiting in the wings?

so why didn't sonny and his staff do something sooner? first, part of that answer is a $9.95 answer, but if some of you have looked at the roster you will notice a number of offensive linemen who have been in this program 3+ years and are seeing no snaps

possibly ricker is being too stubborn to consider other options and give other players snaps or possibly the frogs are in one of those runs where they have had a series of misses. consider that along with those on the roster noah bolticoff and alterique barlow transferred out.

finally, for those who want to know why sonny and his staff didn't try to head this issue off they have, for those who wanted to know what those schools with all the additional staff actually are doing, they in part are evaluating their rosters and searching other rosters for options

one small catch, recruiting and the transfer markets are highly competitive markets and to some extent the college version of free agency. does anyone really think the hiring of flood at texas has had a bigger impact on their offensive line recruiting or basically the known "signing bonus" various texas nil organizations have directed toward offensive line recruits? does anyone think that isn't happening with offensive line transfers?

CountryFrog

this, yes it is more fun to blame briles and thows stones at morris, but the realty is that this offensive line isn't good and the top two defensive line rotations are very limited in potential playmakers

pretty sure sonny and his staff had an idea these were to big potential problems and they tried to address is, obviously it hasn't worked the way they hope and i will come back to this point

first, the easier of the two issues because there might be a choice though a tough one and that is the defensive line

if you look at the frogs first two rotations of defensive linemen you will find three guys who are just guys and what i mean by that is they are limited in either size, strength, speed, or athletic ability and don't really have the physical skill needed in the defense

if you have been watching the frogs you can figure out who i am referring to and i do want to say all of these guys seem to play as hard as they can for frogs, might be great guys on and off the field and examples for the younger guys in the program

the challenge is that two of these guys are juniors and unless they are hiding something you aren't suddenly going to see explosive quickness, athleticism, or pass rush ability

which brings us to the tough choice, there a group of young defensive linemen who have flashed the potential for doing some of the things and having the skills the older linemen haven't or don't, but do you take what you know and try to work around it or do you opt for the what if knowing you might be throwing some guys out there before they are ready and you might have some really ugly moments of learning ahead?

offensively, as mentioned before this has not been a good offensive line this season and a big issue both figuratively and literally is the health of brandon coleman. with brandon out, ben taylor-whitfield is the frogs' best option at guard and consider for a moment what it means when a true freshman offensive linemen is the team's best guard,

furthermore, consider for a minute that bt-w and patrick willis with john lanz at center is a better option than tbt-w and say lanz at guard and whomever would be the next man up at center. that might sound harsh to some, but go watch the 4 and short play in the first half or the second half and ask yourself that if ricker truly had a better option in the interior line or at offensive tackle he would be willing to risk his career for keeping that group out on the field

the really rough spot is outside of coleman coming back healthy (which i suspect isn't going to happen because he hasn't looked right all year) there really isn't a great plan b. for those who want to throw a fit about that comment please find below the link to the frogs' roster from gofrogs.com and tell me who else is waiting in the wings?

so why didn't sonny and his staff do something sooner? first, part of that answer is a $9.95 answer, but if some of you have looked at the roster you will notice a number of offensive linemen who have been in this program 3+ years and are seeing no snaps

possibly ricker is being too stubborn to consider other options and give other players snaps or possibly the frogs are in one of those runs where they have had a series of misses. consider that along with those on the roster noah bolticoff and alterique barlow transferred out.

finally, for those who want to know why sonny and his staff didn't try to head this issue off they have, for those who wanted to know what those schools with all the additional staff actually are doing, they in part are evaluating their rosters and searching other rosters for options

one small catch, recruiting and the transfer markets are highly competitive markets and to some extent the college version of free agency. does anyone really think the hiring of flood at texas has had a bigger impact on their offensive line recruiting or basically the known "signing bonus" various texas nil organizations have directed toward offensive line recruits? does anyone think that isn't happening with offensive line transfers?
Agree with everything and unfortunately I think that whatever direction the staff chooses to go personnel wise this season we're unlikely to see a huge improvement in either line. When the Frogs win then they will have to overcome these deficiencies.

There are some young studs on the DL that can give us hope for the future but I think OL is what you mentioned in terms of free agency needing to be the method for quick improvement next season. It's unfortunate because I think there is quite a bit of skill talent on the offense but they're going to be limited against better defensive fronts in what they can do.

The only other thing on offense that I think could help is tightening up the WR rotation. Right now you have a situation where JP Richardson rips of a 65 yard catch and then he's on the sideline the next two possessions because of the rotations at that position. I know we have a lot of guys who are talented but at some point we need to pick the 5 or 6 that we're going to roll with and stick with it.

FloridaFrog76129

Agree with everything and unfortunately I think that whatever direction the staff chooses to go personnel wise this season we're unlikely to see a huge improvement in either line. When the Frogs win then they will have to overcome these deficiencies.

There are some young studs on the DL that can give us hope for the future but I think OL is what you mentioned in terms of free agency needing to be the method for quick improvement next season. It's unfortunate because I think there is quite a bit of skill talent on the offense but they're going to be limited against better defensive fronts in what they can do.

The only other thing on offense that I think could help is tightening up the WR rotation. Right now you have a situation where JP Richardson rips of a 65 yard catch and then he's on the sideline the next two possessions because of the rotations at that position. I know we have a lot of guys who are talented but at some point we need to pick the 5 or 6 that we're going to roll with and stick with it.
Are you saying Blake nowell shouldn’t be getting reps over the others??

CountryFrog

Are you saying Blake nowell shouldn’t be getting reps over the others??
I personally would go with Wright, Richardson, Bech, Savion, Thompson, and Everhart. But I also don't think there's been anyone other than Wright and Richardson who have really solidified themselves as clearly needing to be out there a lot so I'm willing to defer to the coaches on who the specific players should be after those 2. I just hate this 10 player rotation we're seeing.

Of course even with the large number of guys that have been out there we haven't seen any of J. Bailey, DJ Allen, or C. Russell so I don't have a clue what those guys can do.