• The KillerFrogs

Eye black messages, wedge blocks out

BABYFACE

Swink, I hear your side of this and reasoning, but I am with others when a ref's judgement can remove a TD and place the ball at the 15 is not a good thing. We will have to wait till 2011 to see how it plays it out, but some zebra is going to misintrepret the taunting rule and cost a team a game by taking a TD off the board. The coaches and AD's will be in outrage after one season of this and it will be repealed for the 2012 season IMO. If I am wrong about this then I will admit it at the end of the 2011 season.

Counting on a ref's judgement to be correct on accessing this taunting rule all the time is basically like counting on elected politicians to do the right thing. This rule is going to bite them in the arse big time.

Frogenstein

I can see it now a running back is stopped short of the end zone trying to jump over the line, lands on his feet pushes forward and holds the ball in front of his body so that it breaks the plane of the end zone. An over zeolous, corrupt, or just plain stupid ref throws a flag for taunting. I realize I am stretching it and this is not likely to happen, but it could occur. I just don't like the rule.

joejordan

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 16 2010, 01:32 PM) [snapback]545560[/snapback]
I would be fine with it if I had confidence in the refs' collective ability to enforce it correctly, but you know that they won't be able to.

Is it reviewable and/or reversible? Automatic review might make it a better rule.

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Apr 16 2010, 12:11 PM) [snapback]545545[/snapback]
Swink, I hear your side of this and reasoning, but I am with others when a ref's judgement can remove a TD and place the ball at the 15 is not a good thing. We will have to wait till 2011 to see how it plays it out, but some zebra is going to misintrepret the taunting rule and cost a team a game by taking a TD off the board. The coaches and AD's will be in outrage after one season of this and it will be repealed for the 2012 season IMO. If I am wrong about this then I will admit it at the end of the 2011 season.

Counting on a ref's judgement to be correct on accessing this taunting rule all the time is basically like counting on elected politicians to do the right thing. This rule is going to bite them in the arse big time.

I actually agree with you on this rule, Babyface. I don't have a problem with it on its face per se, but I think its far too subjective to be called with any fair amount of consistency. The coaches should've known that this would fall into the same category as pass interference, but with even more dire consequences. I wouldn't be surprised to see the coaches change their minds on this one after 2011.

I agree with the coaches' rule on the wedge block, if the NFL can ban it for safety reasons, and the statistics back it up, then college football should follow suit.

I think the eyeblack rule is just plain silly, and am just puzzled as to why the coaches would feel the need to ban it.

desmith03

QUOTE(Trelvis @ Apr 16 2010, 08:59 AM) [snapback]545413[/snapback]
I dont have a problem with the wedge block stuff but the other rules are atrocious. Just another penalty that is a judgment call by the refs. This will end up costing someone a game.

I dont know how you can justify taking points off the board.

+1

I wonder if they'll start taking the PAT of FG back if a kicker fist pumps after hitting a big kick? Throwing a fist in the direction of anyone in the entire stadium could even be considered simple assault! :ph34r:

:angry:

desmith03

QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ Apr 16 2010, 09:57 AM) [snapback]545454[/snapback]
but it give the refs a chance to take away a TCU or Boise TD when they are playing a team like Ohio State

probably a Delaney creation

I slightly disagree with this. TCU and BSU haven't seemed, historically, to recruit the primadonna players who would be most likely to draw this penalty. However, a split-second of lost discipline could end up costing a team 6. Grrrrr...

desmith03

QUOTE(crunch @ Apr 16 2010, 12:40 PM) [snapback]545563[/snapback]
Is it reviewable and/or reversible? Automatic review might make it a better rule.

I hear there's going to be an addendum to the rule where, prior to each play being run, every player on the offense that might score will have to sign an affidavit stating their frame of mind and intent on the upcoming play. I suppose every person on the training staff will have to become a notary public...

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Rember the horrendous calls back in the old SWC days when they tried to crack down on this stuff. The Miami game at the Cotton Bowl was a joke with the field littered with flags and the absolutely atrociuos call against TCU when the LBer (Clifton?) sacked the UT QB on a key 3rd down and gave a fist pump that cost us 15 yards and gave UT a first down that turned into the game winning drive.

A bad rule that will just cause havoc.

Frogenstein

Well Daniel '02, Kerley will no longer be able to hold the ball out while crossing the goal line or repeating the Superman pose. But for the most part I agree with you.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Apr 16 2010, 08:59 AM) [snapback]545413[/snapback]
I dont have a problem with the wedge block stuff but the other rules are atrocious. Just another penalty that is a judgment call by the refs. This will end up costing someone a game.

I dont know how you can justify taking points off the board.

Why is there a problem with wedge blocks?
Gee, it's only been allowed for 110 years :wacko:
I agree with this Trelvis cat on the other.

Trelvis

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 16 2010, 07:29 PM) [snapback]545676[/snapback]

I don't have a problem with it personally, but I am pretty sure there are stats out there that show that a lot of injuries take place because of the wedge. Whether it be the guy in the middle of the wedge or the guy trying to bust it, it causes some issues.

OmniscienceFrog

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 16 2010, 08:42 AM) [snapback]545402[/snapback]
You just know this taunting rule is going to be the deciding factor in a big game and create all sorts of controversy.

Exactly. This is going to cost somebody a game because of poor judgment from an official one day. Anybody remember the Georgia-LSU game last season?

Georgia-LSU 2009

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 16 2010, 02:29 PM) [snapback]545676[/snapback]

It's not the wedge. It's the kicking team trying to break the wedge. Wedge busters get a 30-yard running start and can build up a lot of momentum.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 16 2010, 12:58 PM) [snapback]545577[/snapback]
Rember the horrendous calls back in the old SWC days when they tried to crack down on this stuff. The Miami game at the Cotton Bowl was a joke with the field littered with flags and the absolutely atrociuos call against TCU when the LBer (Clifton?) sacked the UT QB on a key 3rd down and gave a fist pump that cost us 15 yards and gave UT a first down that turned into the game winning drive.

A bad rule that will just cause havoc.

You're thinking of Jason Cauble at UT in 1989. I am still p*ssed over that one.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Apr 16 2010, 05:15 PM) [snapback]545774[/snapback]
I don't have a problem with it personally, but I am pretty sure there are stats out there that show that a lot of injuries take place because of the wedge. Whether it be the guy in the middle of the wedge or the guy trying to bust it, it causes some issues.

NFL banned the wedge block on kickoffs last year, too. Study says that 20% of all injuries on kickoffs are concussions. The concussion is a big subject these days in football.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(RSF @ Apr 17 2010, 08:13 AM) [snapback]545907[/snapback]
NFL banned the wedge block on kickoffs last year, too. Study says that 20% of all injuries on kickoffs are concussions. The concussion is a big subject these days in football.

Thanks. I guess it took 110 years worth of study :wacko:
One day it will all come down to flag football. :wacko: :mad:

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Glad to see that the NCAA is cracking down on serious issues like eye black messages. Let them write a message on eye black and the next thing you know, the players are robbing 7-11's or killing world leaders. I sleep better knowing they have put an end to corruption like eye black messages and media guides that are larger than 208 pages.